257 Squadron help.

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
Andyroot
Private
Private
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:26 pm

257 Squadron help.

Post by Andyroot »

Good evening
This is a bit of a long shot, but here goes.
I have ordered airfix's new 1/24th hawker typhoon kit. I want to finish it in the marking of 257 squadron. This is because my grandad served in that squadron during the war as an armorer. I have a few pictures of 257 squadron typhoons, but very few which show the bubble canopy model. I am looking for pictures of any 257 squadron typhoons and details of code letters and serial No's and paint schemes. If it is any help the squadron prefix letters are "FM"
As I say its a long shot but any help would be greatly received.

Many thanks for your time.

Andrew.
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: 257 Squadron help.

Post by Nige201980 »

Hi mate I've had a good look around the internet but could only fine a few photos but these are what I found I hope they help.

Image
Image

And I know these are of a model prob in 1:48 but I thought they would help.
Image
Image
Image
Sorry if there no good mate I'll keep looking
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
User avatar
Willem
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1556
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:39 pm
Location: Leicestershire, UK.
Great Britain

Re: 257 Squadron help.

Post by Willem »

Hi Andy

The book you need is Typhoon Wings of 2nd TAF 1943-45, Osprey Combat Aircraft no.86. Typhoon Ib JP510/FM-Y is on page 37.
Looks like the same aircraft that Nige has posted but modified with the bubble canopy later in the war.
Hope this helps and good luck mate.

:cheers2:
Will

"A thing of orchestrated hell- a terrible symphony of light and flame."

Edward R Murrow
Andyroot
Private
Private
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:26 pm

Re: 257 Squadron help.

Post by Andyroot »

Thanks for the photos, anything is helpful at the moment. I have just ordered the book that was mentioned above.

Many thanks

Keep them coming!!
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”