Page 1 of 1
Revell 1/32 spitfire MK 2a
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:21 am
by davidowers
This is a sort of review as well as a build log hope you like.
My first reactions aren't that bad revell have nearly gathered the concept of using multiple bags but the worst part of the packaging was the canopy, 3 clear sprues in one bag

a little buffing and polishing I think
the first bag contains 4 light grey spures which contain wing tips, elevator's, exhaust, ailerons, and various components. the wing tips had some very nice riveting detail on them
bag 2 this contains bottom wing, top wings and fuselage half's, there is minor flash on some leading edges nothing to worry about, the riveting is so fine it wouldn't be able to hold a wash, not without some elbow grease and a rivet punch which could take so time
the final bag is the clear parts I:e the canopy and gun sight that sort of thing, they are very nice and clear and might even get away with not dipping them in clear!
the decals are ok not the best but ok a little on the thick side but nothing a few cotes of micro sol wont sort out!! decals include 2 marking options and a instrument panel decal which is not the best.
the instructions are typical Revell black and white with a completed model on the front along with some history about the model, followed by the usual safety alerts like don't eat the sprue or stick decals to your face

then the colour call out for the horrible Revell colour. there is a sprue layout page which is a nice touch, the steps go from 1 to 69 fairly simple instructions to follow
overall not a bad kit I picked this up for £23.99 which I think is really good for a 1/32 scale aircraft.
this is my first review/ build log so please comment of what was good and what was bad so I can make improvements
the build will some shortly
Re: Revell 1/32 spitfire MK 2a
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:39 pm
by Goose
Nice plane!! i love the spit with "long" wings, short wings versions are ugly i think.
It's quite cheap for a 32nd scale model. now hope your model will fit correctly and that you won't have an old ugly kit from an unknown trade mark coming from the dark side of the moon.
Enjoy your build.
I'll stay tuned to this thread.
See ya
Goose
Re: Revell 1/32 spitfire MK 2a
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:00 pm
by chief5437
Sweet! Another new tool Revell 1/32! Mines in the post, at this rate we could have a 'Big Wing' spitfire gb! Good luck dude!
Re: Revell 1/32 spitfire MK 2a
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:10 pm
by Opapapa
Nice choice!

How old is this kit? I just finished building quite new Revell's 1/72 Ju-88 bomber and it was really good and detailed kit to put together! Lots of parts as well. I was really suprised.
Their enamel paints can be quite horrible indeed. (I've used them because they're easy to get from every larger supermarket in Finland, like their kits too...). Strange thing is that I've heard/read some very positive comments about their acrylic paints! Never tried them though.
Olli
Re: Revell 1/32 spitfire MK 2a
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:20 pm
by chief5437
Opapapa wrote:Nice choice!

How old is this kit? I just finished building quite new Revell's 1/72 Ju-88 bomber and it was really good and detailed kit to put together! Lots of parts as well. I was really suprised.
Their enamel paints can be quite horrible indeed. (I've used them because they're easy to get from every larger supermarket in Finland, like their kits too...). Strange thing is that I've heard/read some very positive comments about their acrylic paints! Never tried them though.
Olli
New tool, just been released!
Re: Revell 1/32 spitfire MK 2a
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:43 pm
by Opapapa
Great!

It should go together nicely! I'm looking forward to this one.
Olli
Re: Revell 1/32 spitfire MK 2a
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:40 pm
by davidowers
Goose wrote:Nice plane!! i love the spit with "long" wings, short wings versions are ugly i think.
It's quite cheap for a 32nd scale model. now hope your model will fit correctly and that you won't have an old ugly kit from an unknown trade mark coming from the dark side of the moon.
Enjoy your build.
I'll stay tuned to this thread.
See ya
Goose
cheers man
Re: Revell 1/32 spitfire MK 2a
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:41 pm
by davidowers
Opapapa wrote:Nice choice!

How old is this kit? I just finished building quite new Revell's 1/72 Ju-88 bomber and it was really good and detailed kit to put together! Lots of parts as well. I was really suprised.
Their enamel paints can be quite horrible indeed. (I've used them because they're easy to get from every larger supermarket in Finland, like their kits too...). Strange thing is that I've heard/read some very positive comments about their acrylic paints! Never tried them though.
Olli
the acrylics are/ can be good for hand painting a lot like Vallejo model colour I only ever use them for that
Re: Revell 1/32 spitfire MK 2a
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:42 pm
by davidowers
chief5437 wrote:Sweet! Another new tool Revell 1/32! Mines in the post, at this rate we could have a 'Big Wing' spitfire gb! Good luck dude!
hahaha we could indeed

Re: Revell 1/32 spitfire MK 2a
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:46 pm
by Willem
A Mk II Spit in 1/32 that looks decent and comes in at 24 quid! Lovely stuff. Will follow your build with interest.

Re: Revell 1/32 spitfire MK 2a
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:45 pm
by davidowers
the build started off with a bit of a snag as I was looking through the parts I noticed that the propeller blades and wheels were missing and some pieces for the cockpit so I started on the instrument panel first
I then sprayed the rest of the cockpit parts XF-71 cockpit green these were then given a Ultimate dark dirt wash and left to dry.
when I was building the seat I noticed there were some obvious design issue it was not square and there were massive hole either side of the seat so I bought a barracuda resin replacement but as I cant close the fuselage half's up until I get the seat I made a start on the wings landing gear and propeller blades
more to come guys try to upload however much work is done every 3 days ish
well its been a good build had a few hick ups regards to the seat which was just shocking so I bought a barracuda replacement so the held up the build for a week or so.
once the seat was in I buttoned up the fuselage halves and made a start on priming masking the canopy and the camo work
and hears the end result I am very happy with the camo work as it is my first time doing camo with an airbrush
this little baby arrived the day I started the camo
when It came to the sky colour I thought I had enough in the bottle turn out it had hardened and was full of gunk

so the build was yet again delayed whiule I got some more paint
hears the end result
so while that was drying I made a start on the exhausts which in the end of going through 6 colous decided on Vallejo's rust
after a couple of gloss cotes it was time for decaling and its fair to say that they weren't that bad
after decals were finished it was time for a flat cote and some gun staining
and here's the finished result
hope you liked the build guys thanks for reading
dave
Re: Revell 1/32 spitfire MK 2a
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:00 am
by UKguyInUSA
This is a kit that I have my eye on, so will watch this thread with interest to see if there are any build / fit issues.
Looking forward to seeing further progress!

Re: Revell 1/32 spitfire MK 2a
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:29 pm
by ncf
1/32 spitfire is one of my dream builds!
Just remember, don't build too many of those or you'll spend more money on shelves rather than on kits! :p
Cheers