Mirage Hobby's 1/350 Flower Class Corvette mini Moose Jaw

Post Reply
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Mirage Hobby's 1/350 Flower Class Corvette mini Moose Jaw

Post by Coen »

Hey fellas.
So my baby brother is in the Navy eh? And his birthday was today.
I had been trying to get to building him a model of the ship that he sails on for ages, but I just can't bring myself to tackle the kit that I have.
(A Halifax Class Coastal Patrol Frigate in the Canadian Navy)
I had chickened out... yet again.

About a month or so ago I ordered this Mirage Hobby kit as a practise kit for when I build a 1/72nd version of a flower class corvette, (our Grandfather sailed on one) and I thought.... since I have it ... it was his birthday and all...

So my baby Bro got himself a Mini version of our Grandfather's Corvette and the submarine that he sank in 1943.
Now the version of the corvette that I have (in 1/350 and in 72nd) are both the wrong refit for the date of the sinking, but that's fine. There's no kit of the ship with the proper refittings anyway.
I built the submarine, U-501, at the beginning of this year. It was a gift from Longlance67 AKA Shane Smith :)
I popped the box top on the corvette on Sunday Morning and had her finished an hour before his birthday dinner today. A total of 13 hours building time.
It was a sweet little kit and there's so much that could be done to her to improve her. I recommend her as a fun little build or as an epic project.

Anyway... here's the videos and a couple of photos of the submarine.

[youtube]QxhvWfe1K7A[/youtube] [youtube]xdqapATxCgc[/youtube] [youtube]j55zG3j03uQ[/youtube]


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image



So that's the sub.
This is the Corvette that I built for him.
Like I said, it's a good kit, but it's not perfect. The instructions are a bit foggy and the parts are overscale and chunky. There are a few inaccuracies as well, but I wasn't interested in those. I was interested in building it and painting it.
The fits were ok mostly... some were a bit wonky. The hull halves could have been better and the forward upper deck section wasn't very good at all, it took quite a bit of fussing around to get it to fit and it still didn't do it's job in the end.

Here's the kit...
Image

Hull halves

Image

Instructions are ok... not the greatest in the clarity for part locations.

Image

I drilled out all the portholes that I could find. I left the super structure windows intact though.

Image

Not the best of fits...

Image

Next one of these that I build I will be making more modifications to the parts. The upper deck on the rear looks terrible and stayed that way.

Image

Depth charges could use some improvement too. They're a little sloppy.

Image

All the portholes drilled out.

Image
Image

The depth charge lauchers are thick and chunky, and here's a better shot of the bad upper deck.

Image

The rear mast broke three times just coming off the sprue. So did all of the davits.

Image

More bits and bobs... well depth charges actually... at least I think they are.

Image

the upper deck nearly finished.

Image
Image
Image

Midships started, fairly easy building... since I didn't know what I was doing. haha.

Image

I had to hollow out most of the funnels myself with the dremel tool.

Image
Image
Image

About 80% build now...

Image

These parts are soo freaking small.... it's crazy!

Image
Image

The main gun

Image

And she's built.

Image


Next I primed her in alclad black and started masking and painting.

The first bit...
Painted a flat white then the more brighter white to vary the hull plates. Then I painted the disruptor blue camouflage over it.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Then I gave it a Ultimate Dark Dirt wash, wiped that back, then a burnt umber wash... I left that on.
I waited 3 hours and added a dot filter. Three more hours and then I did the rust and called it done.

Reveal time....




Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Ta Da... A moose in 13 hours haha.
Here's the thing...


I gave both the sub and the corvette to my brother this evening and he was pleased.
As he was packing his gifts before he went home I suggested that he make a second trip for the two models.
He didn't.
He carried all his loot and the two models all at once, and just before he got to his car... he dropped the whole lot.
Poof went the models.
Good thing I have pictures eh? haha
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Mirage Hobby's 1/350 Flower Class Corvette mini Moose Ja

Post by Paul »

Ahh what a damn shame the models got damaged, gutting.

They looked superb though buddy and as you say at least you have the pics
User avatar
5Craven
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:51 pm
Location: Weymouth, Dorset, UK

Re: Mirage Hobby's 1/350 Flower Class Corvette mini Moose Ja

Post by 5Craven »

Looks really great Mike :th: , sorry to hear that it met with a grisly end. :o Still good job it wasn't that resin Hailfax kit that would have been nasty! If you ever do another build of one of these little ships White Ensign do a PE set for them the details of which you can find here. Only drawback being the PE cost more than the original kit.
On the Bench

1/48 Revell SH-60B Seahawk (on hold)
1/72 Matchbox Supermarine Walrus II (Decalling)
1/48 Hasegawa Idolm@ster F-16C (Decals complete)
1/35 Hobbyboss ZSL-92 IFV (Building)
User avatar
Rob
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1892
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:02 pm
Location: Kent, UK

Re: Mirage Hobby's 1/350 Flower Class Corvette mini Moose Ja

Post by Rob »

Bravo Mike! lovely models both.
Shame about the disaster but your part of the job was played to perfection.

Ive used that PE sheet 5Craven refers too - it's great but it will have you pulling your hair out

:th:
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: Mirage Hobby's 1/350 Flower Class Corvette mini Moose Ja

Post by UKguyInUSA »

Superb work and that Corvette was tiny! Sorry to hear that your brother dropped them??!! :(
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Mirage Hobby's 1/350 Flower Class Corvette mini Moose Ja

Post by Coen »

5Craven wrote:Looks really great Mike :th: , sorry to hear that it met with a grisly end. :o Still good job it wasn't that resin Hailfax kit that would have been nasty! If you ever do another build of one of these little ships White Ensign do a PE set for them the details of which you can find here. Only drawback being the PE cost more than the original kit.
I paid £60 for that resin kit David, massively over priced. Spending £30 on the PE might dress it up, but if what Rob says is true.... maybe not.
It may do my head in. I may still pick it up though, just to see if it's possible.
Thanks You two. :)
:th: :th:
User avatar
AchtungPanzer
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2299
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Cracow PL

Re: Mirage Hobby's 1/350 Flower Class Corvette mini Moose Ja

Post by AchtungPanzer »

Beautiful just beautiful Mike :crazy: , what more to write - Top level Maestro , models like real :clap:
User avatar
timtamtung
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 689
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:42 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Mirage Hobby's 1/350 Flower Class Corvette mini Moose Ja

Post by timtamtung »

Love it Coen! Your love for the 1:350 class ix made me buy the u boat class VII from hobby boss haha. $11
-tungy
Image
To do list:

1:35 Tasca Fury+Bravo6 crew | 1:48 Danger Zone F-14 |
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Mirage Hobby's 1/350 Flower Class Corvette mini Moose Ja

Post by Coen »

Good choice Tim! :)
Bissyboat
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1254
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:49 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Mirage Hobby's 1/350 Flower Class Corvette mini Moose Ja

Post by Bissyboat »

Very impressive, considering the small scale. :thumb2:
Where`s my dinghy?
User avatar
HamilkarBarkas
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1875
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 3:12 pm
Location: "Augschburg" Augsburg/Germany

Re: Mirage Hobby's 1/350 Flower Class Corvette mini Moose Ja

Post by HamilkarBarkas »

That was a blitz-build, really cool :) love that tiny boaty thing!
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Mirage Hobby's 1/350 Flower Class Corvette mini Moose Ja

Post by Coen »

Thanks Mike. I love the new signature!! That's really cool.
User avatar
HamilkarBarkas
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1875
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 3:12 pm
Location: "Augschburg" Augsburg/Germany

Re: Mirage Hobby's 1/350 Flower Class Corvette mini Moose Ja

Post by HamilkarBarkas »

Coen wrote:Thanks Mike. I love the new signature!! That's really cool.
You are welcome Mike!
It is my reminder of the 100th anniversary whenever i make a post here :)
User avatar
HWGuderian23
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1652
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Zweibrücken, Germany
Germany

Re: Mirage Hobby's 1/350 Flower Class Corvette mini Moose Ja

Post by HWGuderian23 »

Excellent paintwork on your corvette Coen :th:! Looking great.
Post Reply

Return to “Sea Gallery”