1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1)

Post Reply
User avatar
HistoryRider
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:49 pm
Location: Washington State

1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1)

Post by HistoryRider »

Hi everyone!

Just for fun I decided to build a couple of F-16 Aggressors! It started out as a tongue in cheek suggestion, and it is turning into reality!

Even though 1:144 is rather tiny and lacking in quality and detail, I chose it to practice airbrushing finesse. I want to try and get the wobble out of my airbrush lines...what better way than to try it on SMALL details that require an up close approach?

AS best as 1:144 will let me, my goal is to see how they look and THEN to apply it to my 1:48 scale Academy F-16. vyper1 is building one and I am building the same kit (but previous release date) hence the discussion and origin of this little build.

Hope you enjoy this, it's just a "for fun" project....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HistoryRider
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThudWeasel

On the Bench___________________________________
Revell 1:48 Convair F-106 - Homeland Group Build
Academy 1:48 General Dynamics F-16 - Homeland Group Build
Tamiya 1:35 M4 Sherman
Tamiya 1:35 Panzer IV AusfD


On Deck___________________________________
To Be Determined
User avatar
HistoryRider
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:49 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: 1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1

Post by HistoryRider »

Okay guys, a quick update...

These little things are quick to put together, and rather small as you can see... I put a couple of coins by them for comparison.

They are ready for primer then pre-shading. The black/grey/white version will be acrylic and the blue/grey version will have to be enamel (Model Masters makes the Russian Flanker colors only in enamels).

NOTE: The wooden stick stuck to one is a kebob skewer glued onto it for easy holding while airbrushing AND for a better demonstration of aerial maneuvers, while running about the house with it, making jet noises at the girlfriends cat. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HistoryRider
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThudWeasel

On the Bench___________________________________
Revell 1:48 Convair F-106 - Homeland Group Build
Academy 1:48 General Dynamics F-16 - Homeland Group Build
Tamiya 1:35 M4 Sherman
Tamiya 1:35 Panzer IV AusfD


On Deck___________________________________
To Be Determined
User avatar
HistoryRider
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:49 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: 1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1

Post by HistoryRider »

Primer went well. I tried the Model Master Acrylic Grey Primer for the first time and was quite happy :)

BUT all was for naught...my Badger Universal360 is NOT for anything less than giving the Great Wall of China a coat of paint in one shot. :evil: :cry: I was about to chuck the airbrush into the garbage, it was so infuriating. I tried different pressures, different thinning ratios....NOTHING. what you see is only the top side which still gave me trouble before I had the disaster on the bottom.

I need a new airbrush, preferably to augment the 360. Based off of budget concerns and skill level I'm thinking the iwata Neo. thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HistoryRider
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThudWeasel

On the Bench___________________________________
Revell 1:48 Convair F-106 - Homeland Group Build
Academy 1:48 General Dynamics F-16 - Homeland Group Build
Tamiya 1:35 M4 Sherman
Tamiya 1:35 Panzer IV AusfD


On Deck___________________________________
To Be Determined
vyper1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:52 pm
Location: Warrington UK
England

Re: 1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1

Post by vyper1 »

They look so small :o good job with the pre-shading :thumb2: if I tried that then they'd end up all black :lol: Just a shame there isn't a nice tiny pilot figure for you to paint ;)

I see you got the Revolution, I just ordered the H&S Ultra as my AB has started playing up, it started to constantly blow bubbles in the cup whilst I was putting on the primer. I took the nozzle cap off and the nozzle fell on the floor somehow it managed to strip the thread all by itself whilst it was in use :think: So I thought I'd give the H&S a try as there will be no more screw in nozzles :dance:

Anyway I digressed, can't wait to see these little birds painted and weaponised :D
Back in the game after 20 year absence.....jeez it's just as hard now as it was then.
User avatar
HistoryRider
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:49 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: 1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1

Post by HistoryRider »

vyper1 wrote:They look so small :o good job with the pre-shading :thumb2: if I tried that then they'd end up all black :lol: Just a shame there isn't a nice tiny pilot figure for you to paint ;)

I see you got the Revolution, I just ordered the H&S Ultra as my AB has started playing up, it started to constantly blow bubbles in the cup whilst I was putting on the primer. I took the nozzle cap off and the nozzle fell on the floor somehow it managed to strip the thread all by itself whilst it was in use :think: So I thought I'd give the H&S a try as there will be no more screw in nozzles :dance:

Anyway I digressed, can't wait to see these little birds painted and weaponised :D
Hiya vyper!!

It was the pre-shading that prompted to get the new AB :wall: BUT that was not the end of the day's calamities :crazy:
whilst I got the new airbrush, I neglected to realize that :pistols: Badger threads are completely different than the rest of the world's airbrushes :wall: (reminds me of Whitworth :lol: ) but since I was so tired after the days events, I decided to start on the build again after all shop hours and WOULDN'T YOU KNOW IT? Can't use my new AB... :wall: :bash: :eeek: :boom:

Well, now that I've gotten that off my chest..... :violin: :violin: I'll be taking another crack at it this week :th:

:cheers2:
HistoryRider
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThudWeasel

On the Bench___________________________________
Revell 1:48 Convair F-106 - Homeland Group Build
Academy 1:48 General Dynamics F-16 - Homeland Group Build
Tamiya 1:35 M4 Sherman
Tamiya 1:35 Panzer IV AusfD


On Deck___________________________________
To Be Determined
vyper1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:52 pm
Location: Warrington UK
England

Re: 1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1

Post by vyper1 »

Hi,

Nothing worse when something like that happens and puts a halt to using your new toy :bash: Think Badger use the small thread, no idea the size I just know it's small, maybe 1/6th. Looks like we have both hit AB problems this week :lol:

:cheers2:
Back in the game after 20 year absence.....jeez it's just as hard now as it was then.
User avatar
HistoryRider
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:49 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: 1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1

Post by HistoryRider »

Quick Update: Preshading complete and Off white coat

Now that I tried out my BRAND NEW iwata Revolution (AMAZING) I am quite pleased with my new capabilities!!!!! You have NO idea how AWESOME it feels to go from a .7mm needle to a .5mm...Amazing differences!! I swore I heard angels singing Hallelujah, when I was using it.....anyways here are the results:

The off white is actually a VERY light grey, but when the dark grey and black go on, it will look more white.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HistoryRider
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThudWeasel

On the Bench___________________________________
Revell 1:48 Convair F-106 - Homeland Group Build
Academy 1:48 General Dynamics F-16 - Homeland Group Build
Tamiya 1:35 M4 Sherman
Tamiya 1:35 Panzer IV AusfD


On Deck___________________________________
To Be Determined
vyper1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:52 pm
Location: Warrington UK
England

Re: 1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1

Post by vyper1 »

I doubt you heard those Angels for long as after 2 squirts of .5 the plane was finished :D Yes the white, aka VERY light grey ;) should pop once you get the darker shades down. I'm glad you're liking your new AB, did you get a new hose or reducer? Anyway looking forward to seeing this one finished, I'm guessing the decals for this will be microscopic :thumb2:
Back in the game after 20 year absence.....jeez it's just as hard now as it was then.
User avatar
HistoryRider
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:49 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: 1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1

Post by HistoryRider »

vyper1 wrote:I doubt you heard those Angels for long as after 2 squirts of .5 the plane was finished :D Yes the white, aka VERY light grey ;) should pop once you get the darker shades down. I'm glad you're liking your new AB, did you get a new hose or reducer? Anyway looking forward to seeing this one finished, I'm guessing the decals for this will be microscopic :thumb2:
:lol: :lol: pretty close!! but this airbrush is a scalpel compared to my Badger! I decided to get a new hose instead of a reducer, I got a 10' one and it seems to allow me more freedom of movement, but we shall see what the future holds..

Now all I have to do is figure out how to mask a tricolor scheme for 1:144..... :scratch:: :think:

:cheers2: :cheers2:
HistoryRider
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThudWeasel

On the Bench___________________________________
Revell 1:48 Convair F-106 - Homeland Group Build
Academy 1:48 General Dynamics F-16 - Homeland Group Build
Tamiya 1:35 M4 Sherman
Tamiya 1:35 Panzer IV AusfD


On Deck___________________________________
To Be Determined
vyper1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:52 pm
Location: Warrington UK
England

Re: 1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1

Post by vyper1 »

I'm sure you'll figure it out, just remember your masks will be smaller :D I'll have the same problem with the A-10 but I think I know how I'll approach it :)
Back in the game after 20 year absence.....jeez it's just as hard now as it was then.
User avatar
HistoryRider
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:49 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: 1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1

Post by HistoryRider »

Quick little update:

I chickened out on masking and attempting airbrushing the Aggressor scheme, so I improvised and decided to brush paint it :(

I tried making masks based off of the painting templates and discovered even though they were exact size, for some reason the masks I made were still too big for the actual model.... :wall: :think: :scratch::

So what I did was this, make the mask, trim it down and then trace it onto the model for brush painting over the top of it..

Not all finished, but it gets the point across so far of what it's supposed to look like
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HistoryRider
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThudWeasel

On the Bench___________________________________
Revell 1:48 Convair F-106 - Homeland Group Build
Academy 1:48 General Dynamics F-16 - Homeland Group Build
Tamiya 1:35 M4 Sherman
Tamiya 1:35 Panzer IV AusfD


On Deck___________________________________
To Be Determined
vyper1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:52 pm
Location: Warrington UK
England

Re: 1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1

Post by vyper1 »

HistoryRider wrote:I chickened out on masking and attempting airbrushing the Aggressor scheme, so I improvised and decided to brush paint it :(
tut tut chickening out, you too have to feel the pain of masking :lol: and Omg :o that is so tiny but looking so cool :thumb1:
Back in the game after 20 year absence.....jeez it's just as hard now as it was then.
User avatar
HistoryRider
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:49 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: 1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1

Post by HistoryRider »

Another Update: Camouflage for Arctic Aggressor is finished.

Brush painted
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HistoryRider
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThudWeasel

On the Bench___________________________________
Revell 1:48 Convair F-106 - Homeland Group Build
Academy 1:48 General Dynamics F-16 - Homeland Group Build
Tamiya 1:35 M4 Sherman
Tamiya 1:35 Panzer IV AusfD


On Deck___________________________________
To Be Determined
User avatar
HistoryRider
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:49 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: 1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1

Post by HistoryRider »

Quick update:

Had awesome time away for my best friends wedding and now back at the bench, I was able to get the munitions and fuel tanks and landing gear all attached. Arctic Aggressor now awaits decals.

Got a good start on Flanker Blue Aggressor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HistoryRider
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThudWeasel

On the Bench___________________________________
Revell 1:48 Convair F-106 - Homeland Group Build
Academy 1:48 General Dynamics F-16 - Homeland Group Build
Tamiya 1:35 M4 Sherman
Tamiya 1:35 Panzer IV AusfD


On Deck___________________________________
To Be Determined
vyper1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:52 pm
Location: Warrington UK
England

Re: 1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1

Post by vyper1 »

Lol it is so dinky :) not your fault but that nose is just too big :o I bet you're looking forward to doing the decals :nena:
Back in the game after 20 year absence.....jeez it's just as hard now as it was then.
User avatar
HistoryRider
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:49 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: 1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1

Post by HistoryRider »

ALL DONE!!! Here are some pics of decals and finished Flanker Blue along with Arctic Agressor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HistoryRider
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThudWeasel

On the Bench___________________________________
Revell 1:48 Convair F-106 - Homeland Group Build
Academy 1:48 General Dynamics F-16 - Homeland Group Build
Tamiya 1:35 M4 Sherman
Tamiya 1:35 Panzer IV AusfD


On Deck___________________________________
To Be Determined
User avatar
HistoryRider
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:49 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: 1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1

Post by HistoryRider »

And more...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HistoryRider
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThudWeasel

On the Bench___________________________________
Revell 1:48 Convair F-106 - Homeland Group Build
Academy 1:48 General Dynamics F-16 - Homeland Group Build
Tamiya 1:35 M4 Sherman
Tamiya 1:35 Panzer IV AusfD


On Deck___________________________________
To Be Determined
User avatar
HistoryRider
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:49 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: 1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1

Post by HistoryRider »

Okay Gang!! Here is the deal, I have a 1:48 Scale F-16 that needs a scheme...

Do I go with Arctic Flanker?

Do I go with Flanker Blue?

Do I go with something else?

Help me out here!!
HistoryRider
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThudWeasel

On the Bench___________________________________
Revell 1:48 Convair F-106 - Homeland Group Build
Academy 1:48 General Dynamics F-16 - Homeland Group Build
Tamiya 1:35 M4 Sherman
Tamiya 1:35 Panzer IV AusfD


On Deck___________________________________
To Be Determined
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: 1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1

Post by UKguyInUSA »

Wooahhhh....those babies are dinky which makes the decals extremely dinky!

Great job mate for that scale....too small for my bad eyes! :thumb1: :thumb1:

Cheers :cheers2:

Martin
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
vyper1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:52 pm
Location: Warrington UK
England

Re: 1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1

Post by vyper1 »

You've done a great job with these tiny little aircraft :th: glad it was you and not me doing them :D

OK seeing as you like to challenge yourself, then how about a tiger :twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Back in the game after 20 year absence.....jeez it's just as hard now as it was then.
User avatar
HistoryRider
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:49 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: 1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1

Post by HistoryRider »

vyper1 wrote:You've done a great job with these tiny little aircraft :th: glad it was you and not me doing them :D

OK seeing as you like to challenge yourself, then how about a tiger :twisted:

Thanks vyper!!!! A tiger seems like quite the challenge....Could be doable
HistoryRider
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThudWeasel

On the Bench___________________________________
Revell 1:48 Convair F-106 - Homeland Group Build
Academy 1:48 General Dynamics F-16 - Homeland Group Build
Tamiya 1:35 M4 Sherman
Tamiya 1:35 Panzer IV AusfD


On Deck___________________________________
To Be Determined
User avatar
HistoryRider
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:49 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: 1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1

Post by HistoryRider »

UKguyInUSA wrote:Wooahhhh....those babies are dinky which makes the decals extremely dinky!

Great job mate for that scale....too small for my bad eyes! :thumb1: :thumb1:

Cheers :cheers2:

Martin
Thanks Martin!! It was touch and go there for a few decals, but I was glad I had two sets to pull spares from! :th:

Thanks!

-Nolan
:cheers2:
HistoryRider
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThudWeasel

On the Bench___________________________________
Revell 1:48 Convair F-106 - Homeland Group Build
Academy 1:48 General Dynamics F-16 - Homeland Group Build
Tamiya 1:35 M4 Sherman
Tamiya 1:35 Panzer IV AusfD


On Deck___________________________________
To Be Determined
vyper1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:52 pm
Location: Warrington UK
England

Re: 1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1

Post by vyper1 »

Looking forward to the Tiger thread :nena: :thumb1:
Back in the game after 20 year absence.....jeez it's just as hard now as it was then.
User avatar
shortCummins
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1646
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:30 pm
Location: Cotgrave, Nottingham
Great Britain

Re: 1:144 MiniCraft F-16C Aggressors (as suggested by vyper1

Post by shortCummins »

HistoryRider wrote:Okay Gang!! Here is the deal, I have a 1:48 Scale F-16 that needs a scheme...

Do I go with Arctic Flanker?

Do I go with Flanker Blue?

Do I go with something else?

Help me out here!!

I'd go with the Arctic Flanker scheme :thumb1:
"I'm tall for my height" - "it looks like it was painted by a blind chimpanzee"
Post Reply

Return to “Jet Aircraft”