Page 1 of 1

Az model 1/72 V.L. Trapetsi Pyry

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:30 pm
by planemaker
Hi! I thought I am going to share this build here on ISM. The kit is again a short-run kit. It is quite an unusual subject and I think
that many of you don't know about this aircraft. I quite like the looks of it.

History:

The Finnish Air Force ordered a prototype of the aircraft in 1937. It was to be called VL Pyry I and carried the identification number PY-1.
The chief designer was Arvo Ylinen, and the other persons of the design team were Martti Vainio, Torsti Verkkola, and Edward Wegelius.
The first flight was made on March 29, 1939 by the factory test pilot. The FAF ordered 40 aircraft in May and the aircraft were quickly constructed and were ready in the spring of 1941. These were designated VL Pyry II and their identification numbers ran from PY-2 - PY-41.
The first unit to be equipped with Pyrys was the Air Force School in Kauhava, in 1941. Around 700 pilots were trained in the aircraft and the type accumulated over 56,000 flying hours over a service life of 20 years. PY-1 and PY-27 made last flights of the Pyry in Härmälä on 7 September 1962.
The first accident with a Pyry happened in March 1943, when Major E.O. Ehrnrooth, commander of a Messerschmitt Bf 109 squadron, fatally overstressed his aircraft.

Specifcations:
Crew: Two
Length: 7.70 m (25 ft 3 in)
Wingspan: 9.80 m (32 ft 2 in)
Empty weight: 1045 kg ()
Max. takeoff weight: 1,535 kg (3,380 lb)
Powerplant: 1 × Wright R-975-E3 Whirlwind air cooled radial engine, 313 kW (420 hp)

Image


Image

Image

There is only one marking option for the Trapetsi Pyry aircraft which had shorter wings then the normal Pyry and only one existed.

Image

There was only one sprue that was quite well mouled.

Image

There rest was resin and there was even the wing moulded in in resin. It was quite crisply moulded.

Image

The canopy was vacu-formed.

Image

There was also a Little bit of PE and film.

Image

The decals where printed in register.

Image

The instructions where quite easy to follow.

Image

Image

Re: Az model 1/72 V.L. Trapetsi Pyry

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:17 am
by Hillbilly
That's kind of an odd-duck you've got there,ought to be an interesting build....I'll defiantly be watching this one :th:

Re: Az model 1/72 V.L. Trapetsi Pyry

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:12 pm
by planemaker
First update. The progress might be a bit slow at the moment because I don't have so much time but I'll carry on...
The build is going quite well, some detail lacking in the cockpit and some bad fits here and there.

Image
Some cockpit detail was moulded in resin and had to be cut out. Sadly a piece broke away and had to be fixed.

Image
After I cut it out I fixed the broken area with a part of plastic from some spares from a built kit.

Image
Resin seats cut out.

Image
Cockpit glued together. Also added joysticks from thick copper wire because they didn't come with the kit.

Image
A big ejector pin mark had to be removed from the cockpit sidewall.

Image
Cockpit sprayed with light grey.

Image
Some photoetch details added to the cockpit. I made the handels on the joysticks of the same copper wire.

Image
I made the pedals from spare photoetch and plastic.

Image
Photoetch instrument panels painted.

Image
Sidewalls painted.

Image
Rear instrument panel glued in place with copper wire added as detail. I also drybrushed and washed the cockpit.

Image
Fusulage halves glued together and seatbelts added.

Image
It needed quite much putty.

Image
Sanded smooth.


When I was about at this stage...Noooooo, disaster!! The airbrush broke! :eeek: But I'll get a new one soon, I orded it recently and I think I'll get it in a few days.


To be continued.

Re: Az model 1/72 V.L. Trapetsi Pyry

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:04 pm
by Jamesday1998
looks awesome! i wouldnt like to tackle one of these limited run kits any time soon but your doing a fine job so far and the photo etch is really helping bring out the detail! i am not surprised with the amount of filler but it looks like its done a good job on filling the seems! i hope you sort out your airbrush soon because i sure will be looking out for this build :pop:

Re: Az model 1/72 V.L. Trapetsi Pyry

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:42 pm
by shortCummins
how on earth did you find this kit, did you know of the aircraft before?

looking good so far, I hope the replacement air brush arrives in good time

rgds
John (WhiteJC)

Re: Az model 1/72 V.L. Trapetsi Pyry

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:27 pm
by UKguyInUSA
Looking great so far, Sebastian! :) :thumb1:

Re: Az model 1/72 V.L. Trapetsi Pyry

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:06 pm
by planemaker
Thank you for your really nice comments!! :D :thumb1: Ifound this kit from a little model shop called PeKriPe in Seinäjoki and a ordered it by post. (You may find it on Ebay). I also bought a Czech Master Resin 1/72 Fokker C.X from him at the same time. And I did actually know of this aircraft before. I first came to know about it about a year ago when I went to the aviation museum in Helsinki, they had the real thing there. It is a one of the few finnish built military aircraft during WWII. I have now sorted out my airbrush. I got the new one a couple of days ago. But I havent been working on the Pyry because I have concentrated on the Bristol Scout for the WWI Centenary SiG. I'll be back with the Pyry in a couple of weeks.

Happy modelling! :D

Re: Az model 1/72 V.L. Trapetsi Pyry

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:33 pm
by ThomasBrown
Very interesting kit and very nice work on the cockpit. Good luck buddy.

Re: Az model 1/72 V.L. Trapetsi Pyry

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:06 pm
by Willem
Lovely stuff mate. Something a bit off the beaten track.

Looking good.

:cheers2:

Re: Az model 1/72 V.L. Trapetsi Pyry

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:11 pm
by Opapapa
Oh my god! Pyry!!!! :banana: Finally!!! A classic Finnish trainer. I'm so proud that a young guy like you is tackling this kit!!! Awesome job so far!! :th:

Olli

Re: Az model 1/72 V.L. Trapetsi Pyry

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:50 pm
by martin57
nice going , looks a bit tricky, like the look of the kit best of luck with the rest of it :thumb1:

Re: Az model 1/72 V.L. Trapetsi Pyry

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:49 pm
by Russ72
Looking the goods Sebastian. Well done mate.

Re: Az model 1/72 V.L. Trapetsi Pyry

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:42 pm
by planemaker
:jd: Thank you so much for your extremely nice comments!!! :D I'll be back with the Pyry soon.

Re: Az model 1/72 V.L. Trapetsi Pyry

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:27 pm
by planemaker
Second update. The Pyry has gone quite well this far but the progress on it is slow. Currently at holiday in Iso-Syöte in nothern Finland, but I won't be here for long, I'll be back with modelling on monday. :banana:


Resin wing cut out and sanded.
Image


Resin fin cut out...
Image


...and fitted.
Image


Resin cowling cut out and sanded.
Image


I scratchbuilt the tiny pitot-tube on the wing of brass pipe.
Image


Engine painted in black and inside of cowling in light gray.
Image


Edges and back wall of the cockpit painted.
Image


Push-rods painted. I also made some detailing with copper wire.
Image


Exhaust pipe painted and glued on the resin engine.
Image


Engine washed with AK Engine Oil as usual.
Image


Engine glued inside cowling...
Image


...and on to the fusulage.
Image


Resin landing-gear cut out and sanded.
Image


Resin wing glued on to the fusulage.
Image


And now the REAL fun starts: :banana:The vacu-formed canopy. I started with cutting it out roughly.
Image


Cut out and sanded excactly. Then I dipped it in Alclad aqua gloss. I had had to cut the front section of the canopy because it fitted so badly to the model.
Image


Now it's crystal clear.
Image


I scratchbuilt the struts for the horisontal stabelisers because they wheren't supplyed in the kit.
Image


The wing needed quite a lot of filler.
Image


Image


Horisontal stabelisers added.
Image


Wheels painted.
Image


Filler sanded smooth.
Image


Image


The struts for the horisontal stabelisers added.
Image


Back wheel added.
Image


Landing-gear glued in place.
Image


Stands pretty.
Image


Vacu-formed canopy glued in place with Kristal Klear.
Image


The vacu-formed canopy has got suberb optical qualities.
Image


To be continued...

Re: Az model 1/72 V.L. Trapetsi Pyry

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:52 pm
by Willem
Looks like a top job so far. I can never get on with vac form canopies but looks like you've nailed it.

Lovely build.

:cheers2:

Re: Az model 1/72 V.L. Trapetsi Pyry

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:59 am
by UKguyInUSA
Nice looking build so far Sebastien, you'll soon be putting some clothes on her! :) :thumb1:

Re: Az model 1/72 V.L. Trapetsi Pyry

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:24 pm
by planemaker
Thank you for your kind comments Will and Martin! :cheers2:

Re: Az model 1/72 V.L. Trapetsi Pyry

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:42 pm
by Goose
I m quite impressed by the job done so far.

I ve got one AZmodel in mystash and it freaks me out.

good luck with the rest of it.

See u

Goose

Re: Az model 1/72 V.L. Trapetsi Pyry

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:36 pm
by planemaker
Third update. And also thanks fore your nice comment Goose. :D


Canopy and engine masked up.
Image


Primed with Vallejo primer.
Image


Pre-shaded. I also painted aluminium in some places and put a gloss coat on the areas that where painted in the aluminium colour to do a chipping effect.
Image


Image


Underside painted in light-gray. I was so busy masking up that I almos forgot to take a pic.
Image


Underside masked up.
Image


Image


Sprayed in light olive colour that I mixed up a bit.
Image


Image


Landing-gear painted.
Image


Masked up for the black with masking tape and blue-tac.
Image


Image


Sprayed in black.
Image


Image


Unmasked it looks like this.
Image


Image


A little bit of masking for the yellow band and under the wingtips.
Image


Image


Yellow sprayed and unmasked.
Image


Image


I did some chipping by gently sanding away the paint on top of the gloss coat.
Image


Image


Back-wheel glued on.
Image


Exhaust painted.
Image


Glossed with Alclad Aqua Gloss.
Image


Decaling started. The identification marking on the fusulage was quite the wrong colour.
Image


Decaled.
Image


Prop painted and decaled.
Image


Gloss coat put on the decals.
Image


Panel-line wash. Looks scary.
Image


Wash remowed.
Image


Prop glued on.
Image


Canopy unmasked.
Image


I made the landing-light with Kristal Klear and a bit metal paint behind it.
Image



Look for the finished model in the Air Gallery!

Re: Az model 1/72 V.L. Trapetsi Pyry

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:59 pm
by UKguyInUSA
Wow, you flew through the rest of this build, Sebastien! Nice job mate, I love the colors of that camo-scheme and the chipping effects that you did. :) :thumb1: :thumb1: :clap: :clap:

Re: Az model 1/72 V.L. Trapetsi Pyry

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:06 pm
by planemaker
Thanks for your kind comment Martin! :cheers2: