Academy SJ F-15E

Post Reply
vyper1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:52 pm
Location: Warrington UK
England

Academy SJ F-15E

Post by vyper1 »

Well I decided to take the plunge and start this beast of a kit :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Back in the game after 20 year absence.....jeez it's just as hard now as it was then.
vyper1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:52 pm
Location: Warrington UK
England

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by vyper1 »

A little bit more done :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Back in the game after 20 year absence.....jeez it's just as hard now as it was then.
User avatar
AchtungPanzer
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2299
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Cracow PL

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by AchtungPanzer »

Good start & Good luck !
User avatar
HistoryRider
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:49 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by HistoryRider »

Can't wait to see more progress!! :th:
HistoryRider
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThudWeasel

On the Bench___________________________________
Revell 1:48 Convair F-106 - Homeland Group Build
Academy 1:48 General Dynamics F-16 - Homeland Group Build
Tamiya 1:35 M4 Sherman
Tamiya 1:35 Panzer IV AusfD


On Deck___________________________________
To Be Determined
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by UKguyInUSA »

Sweet! Looking forward to watching you bring this baby to life! :) :thumb1:
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
vyper1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:52 pm
Location: Warrington UK
England

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by vyper1 »

A little bit more done, not decided on intakes up or down yet :think:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Back in the game after 20 year absence.....jeez it's just as hard now as it was then.
User avatar
Gav0909
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2927
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by Gav0909 »

I have this kit on the shelf now in decalling stage. Had some fit issues in places, and the kit decals are crap. I would seriously consider an aftermarket set.

Looking good though mate.
vyper1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:52 pm
Location: Warrington UK
England

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by vyper1 »

Gav0909 wrote:I have this kit on the shelf now in decalling stage. Had some fit issues in places, and the kit decals are crap. I would seriously consider an aftermarket set.

Looking good though mate.
I have a set of replacement decals in mind but I can't find a UK source at the moment. All I know is that mine wont look as good as yours when finished as your painting skills blow mine out the water ;) :lol:
Back in the game after 20 year absence.....jeez it's just as hard now as it was then.
vyper1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:52 pm
Location: Warrington UK
England

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by vyper1 »

Some more done. Forgive me for not knowing names of stuff :oops: the left-hand integrated fuel cell thing was a pain to put on, the right-hand was a dream. The Intakes are a shocking fit and will require plenty of sanding and filling. I decided to do all the ordnance and one of the fuel tanks has a big hole in it which looks like it's been melted :o Almost ready for primer :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Back in the game after 20 year absence.....jeez it's just as hard now as it was then.
User avatar
Gav0909
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2927
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by Gav0909 »

Yeah I had that on my kit. One of the conformal fuel tanks fitted fine, the other was a bit of a pain.

I am sure yours will turn out just fine mate. I got my AM decals from Hannants, its an Xtradecal set I think. Seems to be working well. There is very few stencils on it, and no ordnance decals, but I can live without them I think.
User avatar
Scottwba
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:16 pm
Location: Bloxwich
Contact:
England

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by Scottwba »

Agree with the intake fit, spent about 2hrs trying to get them close but still needed sanding filling.
If at first you don't succeed say it crashed & turn it into a diorama!

My model website: http://www.sprueandglue.co.uk
My new Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/sprueandgluecouk please like!
User avatar
Gav0909
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2927
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by Gav0909 »

Turns out if you want to get the kit decals to conform to irregular surfaces, then use some Klear or other varnish as a base, put the decal on, blow over it with a hairdryer for a few seconds, then roll a cotton bud over the decal. This seems to soften them enough to conform. Slightly time consuming, but does mean the kit decals aren't as useless as they first seem.
vyper1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:52 pm
Location: Warrington UK
England

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by vyper1 »

Cheers for that bit of a tip Gav but it sounds like too much hard work :lol: I might give it a go or I might just order a new stencil set along with the decals when I get round to them :) I'm having nothing but problems with my airbrushing lately. It seems that so far, I was better off using my Chinese cheapie as this H&S has given me nothing but problems since day one :o I tried to put down some primer and this is the result, the airbrush also clogs all the time and it doesn't spray straight :evil: So I have got a new nozzle cap for it and given it a seriously good clean with the stuff that the postman delivered today. I will see how I get on otherwise it will be a new nozzle for the Chinese AB and I'll be back on that :D

PS. Any ideas what's up with the primer or my technique? I tried both Vallejo and AK primers and both results were the same, well shaken primer, AB clean, model clean, tried psi @ 14, 18, 20 and 22 yet :bash:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Back in the game after 20 year absence.....jeez it's just as hard now as it was then.
User avatar
EagleOnyx
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:58 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL USA
United States of America

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by EagleOnyx »

How long is your air hose? If it is really long you can end up with a pressure drop by the time it gets to the nozzle; 22psi indicated on the gauge could equal 15psi at the nozzle (I made those numbers up but you get the idea). Don't be afraid to turn the pressure up a bit or lower it if need be. It looks like your paint wasn't atomized well. You could also try thinning the primer. I have had issues with paint doing similar things when the model surfaces were contaminated by skin oils, etc. I'll get the occasional part that paint just doesn't want to play nice with. Wiping that part with some acrylic thinners and drying it before spraying take care of that.
Aircraft on the Sortie list: (what I'm working on now)

Revell 1/72 Hawker Hunter and building a Huge Glass Display case
User avatar
Gav0909
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2927
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by Gav0909 »

Hmm are you thinning the primer? The Vallejo and AK primers are designed to be sprayed neat I think. I have found that even a little bit of thinner can ruin the surface tension of the primer.

Also, mist a coat on first, which will look odd, but then as that starts to dry, spray on a heavier coat to fill it in. That seems to work, and helps stop you putting too much primer on in one go.
User avatar
HistoryRider
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:49 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by HistoryRider »

I had the SAME issue just a little while ago on my F-102! There were any number of reasons, I am working on narrowing them down. I also started developing condensation in my air hose even WITH a moisture trap! I'm going to take a look at all the suggestions here as well and see how they work
HistoryRider
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThudWeasel

On the Bench___________________________________
Revell 1:48 Convair F-106 - Homeland Group Build
Academy 1:48 General Dynamics F-16 - Homeland Group Build
Tamiya 1:35 M4 Sherman
Tamiya 1:35 Panzer IV AusfD


On Deck___________________________________
To Be Determined
vyper1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:52 pm
Location: Warrington UK
England

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by vyper1 »

EagleOnyx wrote:How long is your air hose? If it is really long you can end up with a pressure drop by the time it gets to the nozzle; 22psi indicated on the gauge could equal 15psi at the nozzle (I made those numbers up but you get the idea). Don't be afraid to turn the pressure up a bit or lower it if need be. It looks like your paint wasn't atomized well. You could also try thinning the primer. I have had issues with paint doing similar things when the model surfaces were contaminated by skin oils, etc. I'll get the occasional part that paint just doesn't want to play nice with. Wiping that part with some acrylic thinners and drying it before spraying take care of that.
My hose is 3 metres and it does look like it wasn't atomizing very well. I've started to make sure I wipe down after handling and making sure I'm wearing gloves to eliminate any contamination.
Gav0909 wrote:Hmm are you thinning the primer? The Vallejo and AK primers are designed to be sprayed neat I think. I have found that even a little bit of thinner can ruin the surface tension of the primer. Also, mist a coat on first, which will look odd, but then as that starts to dry, spray on a heavier coat to fill it in. That seems to work, and helps stop you putting too much primer on in one go.
Not thinning the primer, using it neat from the bottle. Lately I am just having a nightmare with primer and paint. Personally I think it's the new AB, so I am experimenting with different pressures using the .2 needle.
HistoryRider wrote:I had the SAME issue just a little while ago on my F-102! There were any number of reasons, I am working on narrowing them down. I also started developing condensation in my air hose even WITH a moisture trap! I'm going to take a look at all the suggestions here as well and see how they work
I do have a problem with moisture build up in the hose if I use the AB for prolonged lengths of time but I wasn't doing that at the time. I also have an inline moisture trap and one on the compressor which I vent regularly. Like you I'm still trying to narrow it down. I must admit after a deep clean and changing to the fineline nozzle it does seem to be spraying better.

Also does anyone now if I can use this Aires nozzle set on the Academy kit as I have had a bit of an accident which the supplied fiddly kit parts :whistle:

Cheers :th:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Back in the game after 20 year absence.....jeez it's just as hard now as it was then.
User avatar
EagleOnyx
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:58 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL USA
United States of America

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by EagleOnyx »

I have that Aires nozzle kit and I am putting it on my Tamiya F-15J. It is not listed as being compatible, but it didn't take much effort to adapt it to mine. I had to enlarge the holes in the jet a little bit but they do fit. I might have had to remove about 1 to 2mm all the way around.

What did you do to your kit nozzles?
Aircraft on the Sortie list: (what I'm working on now)

Revell 1/72 Hawker Hunter and building a Huge Glass Display case
vyper1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:52 pm
Location: Warrington UK
England

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by vyper1 »

EagleOnyx wrote:I have that Aires nozzle kit and I am putting it on my Tamiya F-15J. It is not listed as being compatible, but it didn't take much effort to adapt it to mine. I had to enlarge the holes in the jet a little bit but they do fit. I might have had to remove about 1 to 2mm all the way around.

What did you do to your kit nozzles?
I don't know how the nozzles are done on the Tamiya but on the Academy kit they are made up of 6 separate pieces which don't really fit together nicely so you have to do a bit of fiddling. Let's just say I wasn't paying attention to my sanding and now they definitely don't fit :lol: I think I will order the Aires kit and see how it goes :thumb1:
Back in the game after 20 year absence.....jeez it's just as hard now as it was then.
User avatar
EagleOnyx
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:58 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL USA
United States of America

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by EagleOnyx »

I remembered that I just happen to have both the Academy kit and the Aries parts you are wondering about. I opened my Academy F-15 and stuck it together and put the engines in there. they fit perfectly, I don't think you will need to mod anything to fit them.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Aircraft on the Sortie list: (what I'm working on now)

Revell 1/72 Hawker Hunter and building a Huge Glass Display case
vyper1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:52 pm
Location: Warrington UK
England

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by vyper1 »

EagleOnyx wrote:I remembered that I just happen to have both the Academy kit and the Aries parts you are wondering about. I opened my Academy F-15 and stuck it together and put the engines in there. they fit perfectly, I don't think you will need to mod anything to fit them.
Those pictures are very helpful :th: I will get the set ordered as soon as I see how the re-primer goes. I got it all off with a toothbrush after letting it soak it Fairy Power Spray overnight :D
Back in the game after 20 year absence.....jeez it's just as hard now as it was then.
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by UKguyInUSA »

Oh, she's coming together nicely since I last checked in on this build :) :thumb1: :thumb1:
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
vyper1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:52 pm
Location: Warrington UK
England

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by vyper1 »

OK it has been re-primed and painted. I never thought that the Fairy spray would also remove the plastic putty and weaken the tamiya extra thin joints :shock: so my hard work of filling the intakes has all gone and I had to reglue the starboard wing and nose section back on :D There's a few silver fingerprints from the buffable paint all over the model but they should wipe off without causing an issue (hopefully).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Back in the game after 20 year absence.....jeez it's just as hard now as it was then.
User avatar
Tiger131
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1701
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 3:44 pm
Location: walsall
England

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by Tiger131 »

looking quality like your spray job
Image
User avatar
cib2265
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 581
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:12 pm
Location: QLD, Australia
Contact:

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by cib2265 »

lovely! keep it going!
Chris Becker in Sunshine Coast, Australia
Eric
Private
Private
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:16 pm
Location: Lavergne, TN, USA

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by Eric »

Paint job looks great! The F-15 is such a striking bird...looks good in just about anything. Top notch work on the cockpit, too!
User avatar
HistoryRider
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:49 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by HistoryRider »

Hi vyper!

It's looking great! :th: :th:
HistoryRider
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThudWeasel

On the Bench___________________________________
Revell 1:48 Convair F-106 - Homeland Group Build
Academy 1:48 General Dynamics F-16 - Homeland Group Build
Tamiya 1:35 M4 Sherman
Tamiya 1:35 Panzer IV AusfD


On Deck___________________________________
To Be Determined
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by UKguyInUSA »

Oh my, she's looking sexier with each post!:) :thumb1: :thumb1: :clap:
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
User avatar
grover
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 285
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:57 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by grover »

Nice Vyper. It's looking really nice. Do you have any photos of the masking of the engine area? I'm looking forward to my next project
Kane "grover" Milne - Auckland, New Zealand
"I ate all the pies. They were awesome!"
vyper1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:52 pm
Location: Warrington UK
England

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by vyper1 »

grover wrote:Nice Vyper. It's looking really nice. Do you have any photos of the masking of the engine area? I'm looking forward to my next project
Hi, I didn't really take many pics of the masking as I suck at it :lol: but I found these hope that helps. Landing gear and a few bits on so now onto painting all the weapons :th:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Back in the game after 20 year absence.....jeez it's just as hard now as it was then.
User avatar
grover
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 285
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:57 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Academy SJ F-15E

Post by grover »

Thanks man. I'm doing the Revell F-15E next.
Kane "grover" Milne - Auckland, New Zealand
"I ate all the pies. They were awesome!"
Post Reply

Return to “Jet Aircraft”