Page 1 of 1

KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:59 pm
by cantara
Hi all,

It has been a while since last build... a friend asked me for this model so here it is my third build at 1/35. Hope you'll enjoy the journey :)

For those of you interested in more details about the kit itself, please find the link below to a review I found comprehensive and detailed. I will add I found quite good the level of detail, however the plastic is quite brittle so if yo decide to try it, careful with the cuts.
http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/rus ... wcs_1.html

First one were the air grilles decided to carve them out and replace with metal ones.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Cheers,

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:13 pm
by cantara
Next was the primer...

At this point I had 2 options to show the interior of the turret. From one side (more detail visible) or from the top (more convenient for handling and display). My friend chose the second.

Image

Image

Image

Preshading...
Image

Image

Image

Cheers,

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:30 pm
by cantara
Hi all,

The base color ... sorry for the color variation, not a great camera :)

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Added some sprue sections inside to give a bit of depth and detail to the air intake. Some damage also, might touch it up later if needed.
Image

Enjoy and Cheers,

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:32 pm
by Tiger131
looking real good nice pre shading will pay off after weathering

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:40 pm
by cantara
Hi,

Time for some paint on interior as well as adding a bit more detail.

Image

The propellant charges rack is scratch built. Not 100% accurate but close enough. Also added a storage box on the wall for a bit more animation.
Image

Image

Cheers,

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:54 pm
by cantara
Hi guys,

A bit of color modulation
Image

Image

Image

Image

And finally... the tracks :)
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Will need to touch up later to recover some finer details.

Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:26 pm
by Coen
This is a marvellous build Calin! Awesome detailing buddy. That interior looks really cool.

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:48 am
by cantara
Coen wrote:This is a marvellous build Calin! Awesome detailing buddy. That interior looks really cool.
Thanks Coen, you're too kind, I'm glad you like it:)

Cheers,

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:54 am
by panzerman
Nice light touch with the green over spray. .....The pre shading shows through nicely.
Good job too on the interior...really rusty and worn.
Keep having fun.
Bill.

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:30 pm
by cantara
panzerman wrote:Nice light touch with the green over spray. .....The pre shading shows through nicely.
Good job too on the interior...really rusty and worn.
Keep having fun.
Bill.
Thanks Bill, glad you like it.
I guess I'll unify and tone down a bit the interior, also add couple of 152mm shells for flavor :)

Cheers

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:36 pm
by wappynutter
:jd: :jd: :jd:
WOW! Love this build buddy...
I do like the old Soviet KV2 kit. Watched qdc748a build this same kit on YouTube...
Its an awesome piece..
Well done, and continued success my friend.. :thumb1:
:cheers2:

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:41 pm
by LudvigN
I would be very nervous if I were the guy sitting in that shell-magnet of a turret :)

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:52 pm
by gustavlekstal
:pop: :pop: enjoying this! :clap:

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:26 pm
by cantara
Thanks for your kind words guys, I really appreciate it :)

At this stage I focused on the big fat turret and the upper hull. The shots shows a dry mock up, just to give a feel of the end result.
At the turret I made a back and forth sequence b/w streaks chips and pin wash. There are 2 streaks, a thicker sepia for accents and a thinner darker one to blend and feather the edges. Before application I damp the surface thoroughly in order to allow some capillarity diffusion to dissipate the edges in a natural looking fashion. The chips are made mostly by hand for more control combined in places with a tiny sponge taps and strokes to cover more ground in the larger areas. Is was a rather slow and time consuming process but I guess was worthwhile. I guess a bit of rust/dust touch ups and a bit of edge painting will nicely tone down and modulate the chipping also.
On the hull for now are only the chips in place and a sepia pin wash, mostly on the welds, some highlights on the engine deck.

Enjoy :)

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Thanks for watching and please leave me your thoughts:)

Cheers,

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:43 pm
by cantara
Only few more shots at a slightly better quality than in the previous post

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Cheers,

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:11 pm
by APC227
Dat interior doe...much respect man! Everything is looking gorgeous!

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:23 am
by panzerman
The worn through spots of metal really add realism. Any plans for some patriotic Russian slogans on that huge turret?
Keep up the good work.
Bill.

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:43 pm
by Donkeywalloper
Cain, that is a bloody awesome build and paint-job mate.
Emphasis on the awesome.
Was playing WOT the other night and ended up on a team with a Platoon of three KV2's.
Yeah slow and cumbersome, but God the firepower.
as the Mighty Jingles says "Herp a Derp".
Great, great build.
John

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:41 pm
by cantara
APC227 wrote:Dat interior doe...much respect man! Everything is looking gorgeous!
Thanks mate, glad you like it :)

Cheers,

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:46 pm
by FishBowlMan
Fantastic work, Calin. The weathering and chipping is superb. It really does look like a heavy piece of metal!

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:08 pm
by cantara
panzerman wrote:The worn through spots of metal really add realism. Any plans for some patriotic Russian slogans on that huge turret?
Keep up the good work.
Bill.
Thanks Bill,

My friend pref. was for a clean damage free vehicle, abandoned looking kind. As such I made no provisions for slogans on the turret, at least on this build.
I really enjoyed this build though and I am considering a second one as part of a diorama :)

Cheers,

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:49 pm
by cantara
Donkeywalloper wrote:Cain, that is a bloody awesome build and paint-job mate.
Emphasis on the awesome.
Was playing WOT the other night and ended up on a team with a Platoon of three KV2's.
Yeah slow and cumbersome, but God the firepower.
as the Mighty Jingles says "Herp a Derp".
Great, great build.
John
Hi John,

Glad you liked it. As I mentioned earlier, I am considering a second KV2 build. On and off over the last half of year I constantly research for a meaningful WW2 episode involving this tank. Found records of only 2, Raisenai (also mentioned in WOT as a medal award) and Ostrov. I am thinking to incorporate somehow the famous barrel shot German tactic where a 50mm shell, probably from a Pz3, disable the KV2 by cracking its un barrel. Found 3 pictures of KV2 showing what seems to be 3 different instances of this tactic successfully applied. Still working on it tough :)
To be honest with you I kinda enjoy more watching BhoemianEagle videos than play lately, but if you need a solid AT I'll be happy to oblige, same pseudonym "cantara-2014" :) Now that you mentioned it I'll go for a spin see whats new... :)

Thanks and Cheers,

Calin

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:01 pm
by cantara
FishBowlMan wrote:Fantastic work, Calin. The weathering and chipping is superb. It really does look like a heavy piece of metal!
Thanks John,

I am kinda pleasantly surprised myself of the looks of the chips, I have not expected this. My intention was a first coat of a layered chipping pattern. Now I see from the shots that depending on the angle of the light the chips have different color.
I used no of the shelf products, its only a 70-30 mix of antique silver and anthracite black, regular artists acrylic paint mix. Guess a lucky strike, I'm still debating what to do next....

Cheers,

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:11 pm
by Donkeywalloper
cantara wrote:
Donkeywalloper wrote:Cain, that is a bloody awesome build and paint-job mate.
Emphasis on the awesome.
Was playing WOT the other night and ended up on a team with a Platoon of three KV2's.
Yeah slow and cumbersome, but God the firepower.
as the Mighty Jingles says "Herp a Derp".
Great, great build.
John
Hi John,

Glad you liked it. As I mentioned earlier, I am considering a second KV2 build. On and off over the last half of year I constantly research for a meaningful WW2 episode involving this tank. Found records of only 2, Raisenai (also mentioned in WOT as a medal award) and Ostrov. I am thinking to incorporate somehow the famous barrel shot German tactic where a 50mm shell, probably from a Pz3, disable the KV2 by cracking its un barrel. Found 3 pictures of KV2 showing what seems to be 3 different instances of this tactic successfully applied. Still working on it tough :)
To be honest with you I kinda enjoy more watching BhoemianEagle videos than play lately, but if you need a solid AT I'll be happy to oblige, same pseudonym "cantara-2014" :) Now that you mentioned it I'll go for a spin see whats new... :)

Thanks and Cheers,

Calin
Brilliant Calin
Next time I'm on lets platoon.
Brilliant info mate.
Can't wait to see your next build.
John

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:09 am
by UKguyInUSA
Awesome weathering and chipping, it looks fabulous! :) :thumb1: :thumb1: :clap:

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:12 pm
by HWGuderian23
Excellent work on this KV2 mate :th:! Most like the pre-shading effect and your fabulous work on the interior ... very well done my friend :clap:!

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:32 pm
by cantara
Thanks guys for the kind words :)

It's been a while since the last update, I had started also a T70M. I was thinking to condensate both builds in this tread but couldn't edit the title so I'll post the T70 in its own.

Back to the KV2, time for some tank makeup :) for now on the turret and the upper hull, all pastel pigments. Once I will bring the lower part at the same stage, will be time for details...

Please enjoy the photos and I will appreciate all your comments :)

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Cheers!

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:42 pm
by Donkeywalloper
She (she is a she) is a beauty.
Wonderful work.
John

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:05 pm
by cantara
Thanks John, always a pleasure :)

Cheers!

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:46 pm
by gustavlekstal
Great work with pigments, making the details more prominent!

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:13 pm
by cantara
Hi all,

After more than 2 years finally managed to add the finishing touches to this model... mostly detail painting...
The result is shown in the pictures below, please enjoy, and as always I'll appreciate all your feedback/comments/suggestions.

Cheers,

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:14 pm
by OneSmallStep1966
That's one beautifully painted and weathered model, well done :clap:

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:26 pm
by cantara
Thx mate, glad you like it.

Cheers

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:15 am
by gustavlekstal
I really like the weathering. Good idea to use silver chipping with the green color. Very pleasing for the eye.

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:43 am
by Icemannique
Nice work she is a beauty ! Good job ! :th:

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:18 pm
by Tiger213
good job ;)
very nice idea with the turret interior, do you have some resources for it?

I like the model, was Zvezda OK? I have bought Trumper..wonder what are the differences

the ammunition is painted incorectly, KV-2 had the M-10T howitzer and it used OF-530 HE and G-530 HEAC ammunition and it looked like this:
Image

the colour is a bit too dark, IMHO. pale tone of gree would fit the tank much more, something like this:
Image

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:54 pm
by RonBurgundy
Looks awesome, interior really looks great, I like it. Weathering is top notch in my opinion !

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:06 pm
by InitialProduction1
Great build Calin, wow interior too, really nice did you scratch build the ammo, or did you get it from another kit? It looks awesome. Also did it have the breach and machine gun? Again very nice. :thumb1:

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:45 pm
by Novorus
:jd: :jd: :clap: :dance:

Wow just looks amazing, inside is so cool

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:13 pm
by cantara
Thank you all guys for your kind words.

@Tiger213 the only scratch build parts are the engine deck vents and the loosely representation of the ammo rack. You can find a link to a very extensive review of this kit in the first post on this tread. The kit comes with partial interior details, however some are missing and few, such as main gun elevation, may have been overlooked and mirrored by Zvezda.
You are correct about the ammo, i just used the ones available on the market, i believe is a MiniArt kit, mainly to bring the size of the shell into the picture. Also see img. below showing apparently a section of the KV2, and the relative size of the charges, much shorter than the ones in M.A. kit...

Image

Thank you for pointing this out and dispelling the mystery of the charges size... was bugging me for a while as a issue not serious enough to properly look into it tough...

Image

Image

Image

Regarding the base color I personally believe is a matter of preference as most material i was able to find seems to point out significant differences. Also the discoloration due to UV action would be much higher in the mid and southern parts of Europe than, lets say, Baltic areas. My intention was to represent a rather worn out active vehicle with tell tales all over its hull...

Thanks again for all input and comments, much appreciated :)

Cheers,

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:06 am
by Eusi
@Cantara - you really did an incredible job with this tank. I definitely have a soft spot for well weathered Soviet armor. Looks great. :thumb1:

@Tiger213 - As Cantara said, the colors should absolutely be a matter of preference. I will also make the argument that Russian Green was not always a standard shade. The amount of factories churning out these tanks as well as the general lack of oversite could have easily resulted in color variations.

Not to mention the green in the photo looks horrible compared to that on the model! :cheers2:

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:29 pm
by privatepete
Hi Calvin worth the wait as someone recently told it's your model you do what you like to it .I think it's brilliant so :tongue: well done sir.

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:11 am
by cantara
Thank you sirs for your kind words.

Although this model was an opportunity for many firsts, I'm glad with the end result and thoroughly enjoyed the journey :)

Cheers,

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:00 am
by digger303
very nice Calin.....I found this which I had forgotten I had bookmarked. All about the Kv series of tanks and relevant models and how to bring them up to what was produced.... variants and such.

http://decalcomaniacs.net/KVseminar/KVSeminar.pdf

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:18 pm
by cantara
digger303 wrote:very nice Calin.....I found this which I had forgotten I had bookmarked. All about the Kv series of tanks and relevant models and how to bring them up to what was produced.... variants and such.

http://decalcomaniacs.net/KVseminar/KVSeminar.pdf
Thanks mate, this info could not have come at a better time as i have lined up a Trumpeter KV-8S, much appreciated :)
And maybe at a later stage, when I'll get some more modelling experience I am thinking to try another KV-2... as a diorama depicting the Raseiniai episode...

Cheers,

Re: KV2 1/35 Zvezda

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:31 pm
by Bissyboat
Looks like the real article. Very inspiring. :thumb2: