Page 1 of 1

Battle of Britain movie 1/144 Hurricane - Forced perspective

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:20 pm
by SeanH20
I built this about a year ago, and have finally tried to take some pictures.

I was on holiday in Spain and to while away the evenings picked up a Revell 1/144th Hurricane MicroWings kit and cobbled together some basic tools from the local stores.

Image

Then had some fun with scrap bits of plastic to build some kind of interior.

Image

Then home and a long gap (photo wise).

Then a bit later my local modelling club were having a 'Kit of the Film/TV' themed comp and I had just watched the Battle of Britain again for the umpteenth time (as you do).

I had noticed a 'blooper' scene (one of a few) near the beginning where the sequence of flying and ground explosion effects are out of sequence as the 109s attack Hurricanes on the ground in the Battle of France. It also just so happened that I had some Preiser 1/87th film crew in my 'one day I'll make that train layout' stash. And I got thinking - how about shooting that scene?

Would trying Forced perspective work? If you have the film crew near the viewer and your 1/144th Hurricane set far enough away so that if you get down to eye level would it look convincing enough? Also if you shape the base would that help?

Well below you can see the results. It was fun trying. I've had trouble get the photo I want and the sun was a bit too bright.
The great thing about this was that I needn't worry about the quality of the Hurricane model because in the film these were wooden mockups built to be blown up (big boys Airfix kits)!

And a note to USguyInUSA - this is posted with your ISM signature in mind :-) Hope you get to see this and it makes you smile.

Into the sun...
Image

Image

Image

Away from the sun..

Image

:-)
Image

The crew
Image
The mock-up Hurri
Image
The effects
Image

Thanks for looking and happy modelling all :-)

Re: Battle of Britain movie 1/144 Hurricane - Forced perspec

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:45 pm
by UKguyInUSA
Hey Sean....love it! I've loved the movie since I went to see it when it was first released and I've had a copy of it ever since VHS tape was available and then DVD's. I was just discussing this scene earlier this year with another modeler on here, how the BF109E flies towards the wooden Hurricanes with guns blazing, and it's not until it has passed that the special effects kick in and the exploding shells go off a couple of seconds too late! I'm surprised that the editing room left it that way....the budget probably couldn't afford to do it again. Good job we have Computer Generated Graphics now!

Maybe they were ultra low velocity shells?! ;)

Cheers :cheers2:

Martin

Re: Battle of Britain movie 1/144 Hurricane - Forced perspec

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:03 pm
by SeanH20
Yay! Glad you found it and liked it Martin. I like the low velocity shells idea :-) Maybe the air was really dense that day too and slowed them down even more. Or maybe the guy with plunger was learning the meaning of Blitz in Blitzkrieg... "Hey nobody told me they went that fast, I 'adn't finished me tea!"

Cheers :cheers2:
Sean

Re: Battle of Britain movie 1/144 Hurricane - Forced perspec

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:20 am
by HWGuderian23
You've created a very interesting scenery on your dio ... well done mate :th:!

Re: Battle of Britain movie 1/144 Hurricane - Forced perspec

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:53 pm
by UKguyInUSA
SeanH20 wrote:Yay! Glad you found it and liked it Martin. I like the low velocity shells idea :-) Maybe the air was really dense that day too and slowed them down even more. Or maybe the guy with plunger was learning the meaning of Blitz in Blitzkrieg... "Hey nobody told me they went that fast, I 'adn't finished me tea!"

Cheers :cheers2:
Sean
Ha ha! :)