Airfix 1/76 AEC Matador RAF Fuel Tanker
Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:57 am
Hi chaps, it has been a while since I last entered a group build (last one was the night fighter sig). Now when it comes to non wingy things I am a bit clueless so yesterday I visited my local hobby shop to see what they had of the 6 wheel variety. Thinking that crappy little Airfix kits were massively underrepresented in this SIG I came away with the 1/76 RAF refuelling set that contains the Bedford QL Tanker and more importantly the AEC Matador Tanker 6x6.
After doing a bit of research I have come to find that the Matador is a bit of an icon, who knew? Not me, but then everything from the Second World War has a following if you start looking.
The History
The AEC Matador was an artillery tractor built by the Associated Equipment Company for British and Commonwealth forces during the Second World War. The Matador name was given to the 4x4 truck and the larger 6x6 was officially named the ‘Marshall’ but the name Matador stuck. About 9,000 Matadors were built, some going to the RAF.
The RAF used Matadors in the flat bed form for load carrying. The 6-wheeler Matador was used as a refuelling tanker, capable of carrying 2,500 gallons of fuel and also for towing ashore Short Sunderland flying boats at their stations.

For the British Army it fulfilled a role between field artillery tractors. It was commonly used to tow the 5.5 inch medium gun and the QF 3.75 inch AA gun. The Matador was found to be a generally useful vehicle and was adapted for other roles including carrying a 25 pdr gun.

Post war the Matador was found in civilian use as a recovery truck, a showmans vehicle, and general contractor use. It was also useful for forestry work because of its good off-road performance.
This is the photo that I will be basing my build on, I like the tidy pristine look of the RAF blue Matadors but I have decided to go with the dusty, oil streaked work horse look.

Some detail of the inner workings of the pump as I intend on displaying the model with the back doors open as it will eventually be part of a diorama with my Mosquito.

Please be gentle this is only my second armour build (I know not really armour but it doesn't have wings so what else can it be?)
After doing a bit of research I have come to find that the Matador is a bit of an icon, who knew? Not me, but then everything from the Second World War has a following if you start looking.
The History
The AEC Matador was an artillery tractor built by the Associated Equipment Company for British and Commonwealth forces during the Second World War. The Matador name was given to the 4x4 truck and the larger 6x6 was officially named the ‘Marshall’ but the name Matador stuck. About 9,000 Matadors were built, some going to the RAF.
The RAF used Matadors in the flat bed form for load carrying. The 6-wheeler Matador was used as a refuelling tanker, capable of carrying 2,500 gallons of fuel and also for towing ashore Short Sunderland flying boats at their stations.
For the British Army it fulfilled a role between field artillery tractors. It was commonly used to tow the 5.5 inch medium gun and the QF 3.75 inch AA gun. The Matador was found to be a generally useful vehicle and was adapted for other roles including carrying a 25 pdr gun.
Post war the Matador was found in civilian use as a recovery truck, a showmans vehicle, and general contractor use. It was also useful for forestry work because of its good off-road performance.
This is the photo that I will be basing my build on, I like the tidy pristine look of the RAF blue Matadors but I have decided to go with the dusty, oil streaked work horse look.
Some detail of the inner workings of the pump as I intend on displaying the model with the back doors open as it will eventually be part of a diorama with my Mosquito.
Please be gentle this is only my second armour build (I know not really armour but it doesn't have wings so what else can it be?)