Page 1 of 1
Eduard 1/48 P-47 Thunderbolt 'Jugs Over Italy'
Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:50 pm
by Ads24
I've just finished Eduard's 1/48 P-47 Thunderbolt 'Jugs Over Italy' limited edition kit. Actually, the plastic is from the Academy kit, Eduard provide the usual resin, photo-etch and other extras. I thought I'd post a few pictures of the finished build as I tried something new for me, painting the airframe aluminium, protecting it with Vallejo's chipping medium, painting on the olive drab and then scratching a lot of it off to create a really worn beat-up looking plane.
The Vallejo chipping medium worked better than hairspray, leaving a rock hard finish to protect the metallic work. One problem was that it didn't airbrush too well, but I think that's because Vallejo do two versions of the chipping medium, with one designed to be sprayed and (predictably!) I got the other one. Anyway, here she is, the slightly confusingly named 'the Lady Jake'...
Thanks for looking!
Re: Eduard 1/48 P-47 Thunderbolt 'Jugs Over Italy'
Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
by LudvigN
Very nice weathering! Great job on your bolt!
Re: Eduard 1/48 P-47 Thunderbolt 'Jugs Over Italy'
Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:58 pm
by JayCub
That's a cracking looking build you have there, and if I ever get into plane builds I may borrow a few of your ideas
Tom
Re: Eduard 1/48 P-47 Thunderbolt 'Jugs Over Italy'
Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:01 am
by Joker56

sweet paint job , gotta love the jug flying tanks , great book about P47s over Europe
HellHawks by Robert F Dorr & Thomas D Jones ISBN 13 978-0-7603-3825-4,, highly recommended read
Re: Eduard 1/48 P-47 Thunderbolt 'Jugs Over Italy'
Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:27 am
by SyntaxModels
Looks a cracker model mate! Stunning weathering! That chipping effect is really good!
Re: Eduard 1/48 P-47 Thunderbolt 'Jugs Over Italy'
Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:53 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Look like it has been through hell and back
Great work

Re: Eduard 1/48 P-47 Thunderbolt 'Jugs Over Italy'
Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:10 pm
by Joesdad
Nice job Ads, I've got 'Jugs over Germany' to do so I'm looking forward to it. They're great kits...

Re: Eduard 1/48 P-47 Thunderbolt 'Jugs Over Italy'
Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:08 pm
by Ads24
Cheers for the kind comments, guys.
Joesdad wrote:I've got 'Jugs over Germany' to do so I'm looking forward to it. They're great kits...

I actually had the 'Jugs Over Germany' one too, but after I cocked it up by painting it with Mr Metal Colour buffable aluminium then masking over the top, to paint the anti-glare strip and promptly pulling all the paint off, it was a bit of a write off! Oh well - live and learn!
Re: Eduard 1/48 P-47 Thunderbolt 'Jugs Over Italy'
Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:27 pm
by Joesdad
Ads24 wrote:Cheers for the kind comments, guys.
Joesdad wrote:I've got 'Jugs over Germany' to do so I'm looking forward to it. They're great kits...

I actually had the 'Jugs Over Germany' one too, but after I cocked it up by painting it with Mr Metal Colour buffable aluminium then masking over the top, to paint the anti-glare strip and promptly pulling all the paint off, it was a bit of a write off! Oh well - live and learn!
I'd best not do that then ads, that's for the warning mate...
Re: Eduard 1/48 P-47 Thunderbolt 'Jugs Over Italy'
Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:35 pm
by Yevgeny
Beautiful plane. I like it

Re: Eduard 1/48 P-47 Thunderbolt 'Jugs Over Italy'
Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:25 pm
by planemaker
Awesome work there!

Well done chipping.
Re: Eduard 1/48 P-47 Thunderbolt 'Jugs Over Italy'
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:32 pm
by UKguyInUSA