Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Whether its tracked or wheeled, this is the place for it
Post Reply
User avatar
JohnP
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:58 pm
Location: Chicago, USA
United States of America

Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by JohnP »

I'm off of school for a week of winter break and eeny-meeny-miny-mo'd this one from the stash :crazy:

Image

I've assembled it and I've started pre-shading.
I'll try to have some pictures up tomorrow.
Last edited by JohnP on Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schoof
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2165
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:09 am
Location: Veghel, Noord-Brabant, The Netherlands

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by Schoof »

i`m gonna have my eye on this one ....... had the kit in my hand a coulpe of times but never took it with my ....... dont know why.....
On the Bench:

Uhm. .... That. ..... And. .. uhm. ... That. ..... And. ..... uhm. ..... That. .... And. ... uhm. .. :( waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much
User avatar
JohnP
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:58 pm
Location: Chicago, USA
United States of America

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by JohnP »

Here's what I've got so far..
Image

Image

Image

I've just noticed that the figures look like some beat-boxing or rapper duo.
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by Coen »

You're right John, they look like a pair of buskers that I see downtown every summer... Aside from the tanker uniforms. Haha.
The K1A1 looks very heavily influenced by both the M1A1 and the Leo2. There are a lot of features in common there.
This is going to be a really cool looking piece. Can't wait for the paint!
:)
User avatar
HWGuderian23
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1652
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Zweibrücken, Germany
Germany

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by HWGuderian23 »

Looking great so far John :th:. The stowage box on the turret looks nicely detailed ... very nice work mate :cheers2:
User avatar
JohnP
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:58 pm
Location: Chicago, USA
United States of America

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by JohnP »

I've finished pre-shading her. Here are some things I've been doing while waiting for the compressor to cool down.

I've prepared some stowage in addition to Tamiya's US Modern Equipment set which is yet to be delivered.

Image

I first tried the roll stowage with Milliput but ended up having a tantrum, so I tried something else.
I cut up a long strip of paper towel and soaked it in watery glue. I'm thinking about trying some dried wet wipes next, as it is more 'clothy'.
I formed the tie-down areas with wire as the glue dried, which will be replaced with paper strips.

The rest of the stowage was from a pretty awesome :dance: Trumpeter kit:

Image

This kit even came with some printouts of Coca-Cola and water bottle boxes that you fold up!
The stowage seems to be made of some Styrene/Vinyl material, much like Dragon's DS.

I also made a little signal flag from tissue soaked in watery glue and rolled the end of the flag onto a piece of stretched sprue.

Image

That's enough blabbering :hi: ... next up is the camo!

Image

Image
User avatar
JohnP
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:58 pm
Location: Chicago, USA
United States of America

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by JohnP »

Schoof wrote:i`m gonna have my eye on this one ....... had the kit in my hand a coulpe of times but never took it with my ....... dont know why.....
It is a really nice kit! :th: There are some fitting issues with the turret basket, though. I have a bad rep when it comes to delicate parts so I dared not try to fix it. :crazy: I've already knocked off a rear-view mirror while pre-shading and praised God when I found it on the floor. :pray: Overall, a really good kit! No fitting issues I've run into besides the basket and the crew is nice but needs clean-up.
User avatar
JohnP
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:58 pm
Location: Chicago, USA
United States of America

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by JohnP »

Coen wrote:You're right John, they look like a pair of buskers that I see downtown every summer... Aside from the tanker uniforms. Haha.
The K1A1 looks very heavily influenced by both the M1A1 and the Leo2. There are a lot of features in common there.
This is going to be a really cool looking piece. Can't wait for the paint!
:)
You see, Coen, when a Leo and an Abrams love each other very much, there comes a stork that brings a baby and thats how a K1 is born! :thumb2:
A part of me isn't going to enjoy taking on the camo... but here goes... :oops:
Last edited by JohnP on Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Schoof
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2165
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:09 am
Location: Veghel, Noord-Brabant, The Netherlands

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by Schoof »

JohnP wrote:
Schoof wrote:i`m gonna have my eye on this one ....... had the kit in my hand a coulpe of times but never took it with my ....... dont know why.....
It is a really nice kit! :th: There are some fitting issues with the turret basket, though. I have a bad rep when it comes to delicate parts so I dared not try to fix it. :crazy: I've already knocked off a rear-view mirror while pre-shading and praised God when I found it on the floor. :pray: Overall, a really good kit! No fitting issues I've run into besides the basket and the crew is nice but needs clean-up.

Ohw man now i just have to take it home next time
On the Bench:

Uhm. .... That. ..... And. .. uhm. ... That. ..... And. ..... uhm. ..... That. .... And. ... uhm. .. :( waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by Coen »

JohnP wrote: You see, Coen, when a Leo and an Abrams love each other very much, there comes a stork that brings a baby and thats how a K1 is born! :thumb2:
A part of me isn't going to enjoy taking on the camo... but here goes... :oops:

:lol: :rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

nice haha...!!
User avatar
JohnP
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:58 pm
Location: Chicago, USA
United States of America

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by JohnP »

*Update*

I've made a little (and crude) Taegeukgi (The S.Korean Flag) to mount on an antenna.
I'm going to paint the Taegeuk (The blue/red yin-yang like symbol) later.

Image

A little progress made on the basecoat.
The black preshading really brought out the detail in the rear fans.

Image

Image

There was an antenna mount missing so I used a stub from the sprue. :think:

Image

Well.. That's it. Ta-ta for now :)
User avatar
Gav0909
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2927
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by Gav0909 »

Ah cool. I am looking to get this kit in the future along with the Academy K9 (I have a thing these days for modern MBTs and SPGs it would seem...)

Nice to see a build of the K1A1. Good luck with the camo!
User avatar
JohnP
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:58 pm
Location: Chicago, USA
United States of America

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by JohnP »

Hello Gents.. been busy

Image

I've finished the brown sections of the camo. Now it's time for black, tan, and going back to fix the overspray :crazy:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

I freehanded the camo... I tried a 50/50 mix of Tamiya and thinner but found that adding a few more drops and using a steady hand helps getting a cleaner finish. Really hate my compressor, though. It's tankless and becomes very hot (got burned once) in 25-30 minutes. Takes almost an hour for it to cool down. Oh well, be happy with what you have... even if it's hard :x
I really need to get some white light... my current bulbs makes everything look yellow-ier :crazy:

Stay Tuned!

John
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by Paul »

Nice freehand Camo work John :thumb2:
Schoof
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2165
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:09 am
Location: Veghel, Noord-Brabant, The Netherlands

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by Schoof »

Wow you free-handed that ??? :jd: :shock:
On the Bench:

Uhm. .... That. ..... And. .. uhm. ... That. ..... And. ..... uhm. ..... That. .... And. ... uhm. .. :( waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much
User avatar
JohnP
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:58 pm
Location: Chicago, USA
United States of America

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by JohnP »

Does a bear crap in the woods, son?
Sorry, I couldn't resist saying that :nena: :banana: :oops:
Yeah, I practiced spraying lines on some paper and got the right paint/thinner ratio and had grew new-found patience.
I have had some real practice before. My first pattern-camo tank was Academy's Panzer IV and oh boy, did I learn a lot.
A lot of nasty over-spray. I later refined my painting when I built a Leopard 2.
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by Coen »

That's excellent work on that camo.. Freehand too.
Nicely done buddy!!!
longlance67
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Galway, Ireland

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by longlance67 »

John,

very nice work mate, your camo work is very nicely done mate, cant wait to see what you do next with it


great work


Shane
On the Bench:
Trumpeter Stryker ESV
Hobby Boss 1/48 F18 Hornet
1/72 Dragon King Tiger with Zimm
28mm Napoleonic project
28mm Norman Conquest of Ireland painting project

My Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/longlance67
User avatar
JohnP
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:58 pm
Location: Chicago, USA
United States of America

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by JohnP »

Heheh to be honest, I'm too lazy to make masks. I have Tamiya tape and sticky tack, I'm just too impatient haha
User avatar
JohnP
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:58 pm
Location: Chicago, USA
United States of America

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by JohnP »

*UPDATE*

Finished the camo... spent a lot of time fixing the overspray. My hands were real jittery for some reason.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Don't know about my figure painting... never was really good haha

Image

Image

Still a lot to do... School got cancelled for tomorrow - Huge cold front moving in from Canada More modelling time! Yay!

Not sure what I'll build next... Can regular users post polls?
User avatar
JohnP
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:58 pm
Location: Chicago, USA
United States of America

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by JohnP »

I'm baaaack :twisted:

And I've finished her! I decided not to weather her just yet.
Sorry for the bad photography :)

[youtube]0EyXwF9ZJ5I[/youtube]
longlance67
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Galway, Ireland

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by longlance67 »

well done mate


top notch work mate

bravo !


Shane
On the Bench:
Trumpeter Stryker ESV
Hobby Boss 1/48 F18 Hornet
1/72 Dragon King Tiger with Zimm
28mm Napoleonic project
28mm Norman Conquest of Ireland painting project

My Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/longlance67
User avatar
JohnP
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:58 pm
Location: Chicago, USA
United States of America

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by JohnP »

Thanks Shane! Your Pz1 is coming along nicely as well :)
longlance67
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Galway, Ireland

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by longlance67 »

thanks John :)
On the Bench:
Trumpeter Stryker ESV
Hobby Boss 1/48 F18 Hornet
1/72 Dragon King Tiger with Zimm
28mm Napoleonic project
28mm Norman Conquest of Ireland painting project

My Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/longlance67
User avatar
JohnP
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:58 pm
Location: Chicago, USA
United States of America

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by JohnP »

For Gary

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
garywintin
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 am
Location: London - UK

Re: Academy 1/35 K1A1 MBT

Post by garywintin »

beautifully done sir... beautifully done...
Post Reply

Return to “Armour & Military Vehicles”