"Into the Motherland," Zvezda 1/35 Tiger I Diorama

Post Reply
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

"Into the Motherland," Zvezda 1/35 Tiger I Diorama

Post by trekfanj »

Just for starters, this is NOT affiliated with the Tiger SIG going on right now, although I was working on this kit when the SIG was first announced last summer.

But anyways, this is my third diorama and my favorite one so far; this is the most scratchbuilding I've ever done on any project. I'm really pleased with how the house turned out, too, though it seems a little too tall and I know those windows are WAY too high; let's just say a really, really, REALLY tall family lives here. :tongue:

I made the house wedge out of 1/4" foam board. I used Liquitex Ceramic Stucco texture gel to create the stucco surface on the walls.
I used jute twine to make the thatched roof; basically I laid out a strip of masking tape and cut two-inch sections of twine, which I untwisted and stretched out on the tape strip. Once the strip was completely covered with twine, I laid another strip of tape over that, then cut the entire strip in half lengthwise, trimming the end of the twine to equal lengths. I then trimmed the strips to fit the house's roof. Once the strips were in place, I filled the gaps with extra bunches of the twine.

I got the tree from a model railroad store close by; they had a big box of them that they were selling for .50 cents each so I picked out 8 or 9 of the "healthiest" looking ones for use in my dioramas.

The tall grass is just Woodland Scenic's field grass
This scene was inspired by the boxart for the figure set, also made by Zvezda:

Image

Basically this scene is supposed to take place in the early days of Operation Zitadelle and depicts a Tiger I crew stopping to figure out where they're heading next. This was the first time I tried painting eyes on figures, and although it took several attempts, especially with the guy standing in front of the house's door, I think they turned out pretty good (in other words, not like this :shock: ). I also used Alliance Modelworks "1/35 German Tank Crew Uniform Insignia and Devices (set number LW35050) for the markings on their uniforms.

The empty shells are from Tamiya's Tiger I tank ammo rounds set, and the jerry cans are from Tamiya as well.

Constructive criticism is welcome and much appreciated.

Enjoy!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Thanks for looking! :hi:
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
User avatar
eightfooticeman
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 581
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:39 am
Location: Woodbridge Virginia, USA
United States of America

Re: "Into the Motherland," Zvezda 1/35 Tiger I Diorama

Post by eightfooticeman »

Fabulous looking Dio, thanks for sharing it with us mate! I love the B/W photos, adds a serious amount of realism to the project.

:cheers2:
Jermaine
On The Bench:1/12 Tamiya Honda NSR 500 Kit 14099
Ideas: ?
On Hold:1/48 Revell F-15E
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: "Into the Motherland," Zvezda 1/35 Tiger I Diorama

Post by Coen »

That's some pretty cool work trek. I love that roof. That's freaking wicked, and the weathering on the tiger is excellent.
The dirt caught in the track teeth is really well done.
A fine job.
User avatar
PaulAyrey
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1141
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Worthing, West Sussex, UK
Contact:

Re: "Into the Motherland," Zvezda 1/35 Tiger I Diorama

Post by PaulAyrey »

Superb work, you've done a great job with some well executed techniques and skills on show.
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

Re: "Into the Motherland," Zvezda 1/35 Tiger I Diorama

Post by trekfanj »

eightfooticeman wrote:Fabulous looking Dio, thanks for sharing it with us mate! I love the B/W photos, adds a serious amount of realism to the project.

:cheers2:
Thanks, Jermaine! I'm glad you liked it!
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

Re: "Into the Motherland," Zvezda 1/35 Tiger I Diorama

Post by trekfanj »

Coen wrote:That's some pretty cool work trek. I love that roof. That's freaking wicked, and the weathering on the tiger is excellent.
The dirt caught in the track teeth is really well done.
A fine job.
Thanks for the praise, Coen!
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

Re: "Into the Motherland," Zvezda 1/35 Tiger I Diorama

Post by trekfanj »

PaulAyrey wrote:Superb work, you've done a great job with some well executed techniques and skills on show.
Thanks, Paul!
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
User avatar
AchtungPanzer
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2299
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Cracow PL

Re: "Into the Motherland," Zvezda 1/35 Tiger I Diorama

Post by AchtungPanzer »

I likie this Dio mate :th: . Great work :cheers2:
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

Re: "Into the Motherland," Zvezda 1/35 Tiger I Diorama

Post by trekfanj »

AchtungPanzer wrote:I likie this Dio mate :th: . Great work :cheers2:

Thanks! :th:
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
Post Reply

Return to “Land Gallery”