Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post Reply
User avatar
DBMiller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
United States of America

Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by DBMiller »

I'm really going to finally try to build this, after all these years! And by years I mean years! Look at the box, it's a mess!

Image

Add on parts (so far):

I already have this one.
Image.Image

On the way:
Nice metal barrels for the 18" guns!
Image

A wooden deck should add quite a lot!
Image
ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
User avatar
rwsmith14
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1277
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:24 am
Location: Aledo, TX, USA
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by rwsmith14 »

Great Subject !! should be great !! wooden deck and metal gun barrels are a real nice touch !!
Image
User avatar
Lee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by Lee »

Nice !
Where does all the bloody time go.....?

Owner of Ultimate Modelling Products
User avatar
Hillbilly
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:15 pm
Location: Missouri,USA

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by Hillbilly »

This thing will be a beast!I will definitely be watching this one :thumb1:
Steve

Make something idiot proof and someone will come along and make a better idiot.
User avatar
Thumboy
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:05 am
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by Thumboy »

Awesome looking project - love the wooden deck :thumb1:
Andrew

On the bench
User avatar
WirbelwindModelling
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: Suffolk, UK

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by WirbelwindModelling »

I'll defiantly be watching this build, I have never followed a ship build before so this looks like a good place to see what techniques our shipbuilding cousins employ.

Good luck! :cheers2:
On the small desk in the corner of my room:

Zvezda 1/72 IS-2

And i have YouTube now: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClMVSN ... LouPy4IM_Q
User avatar
DBMiller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by DBMiller »

Well, I've never built a ship or used photo etch before, so it will be educational for me as well! Good thing I had a physical yesterday, now I know my blood pressure is ok to start on this! :th:
ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
heel
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:29 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by heel »

Following. Hopefully one day I can attempt something like this!
User avatar
DBMiller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by DBMiller »

I watched about 30 seconds of this and all I thought was, "are you kidding?" I am NOT doing this for my build. That is final! :hand:
For those of you who don't like external links, it's a remote control 1/700 scale waterline Yamato!
As I said, I am not going there.




The video will not past here for some reason.
ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
User avatar
muskegman
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 479
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 1:23 am
Location: British Columbia , Canada
Canada

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by muskegman »

Very nice and those extras will really add to it :th:
generalgrog
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 330
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:19 am
Location: Baltimore, MD. U.S.A.
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by generalgrog »

Sweet subject....going to enjoy watching how you work that PE!

GG
User avatar
ToddS
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:15 pm
Location: Oshkosh, Wisconsin USA
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by ToddS »

:jd:

Awesome!! Enjoy the journey and post lots of pics
No one said it would be easy, only that it would be worth it..
MadDaddy
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:01 pm

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by MadDaddy »

That ought to look really nice, I'll be watching.
On the bench
Meng 1/72 Mansyu Ki-98
Moebius Models 1/32 Battlestar Galactica Colonial Viper MkVII
Tamiya 1/72 Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero Fighter Zeke (Rising Sun GB)
User avatar
mincemeat
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 702
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:14 pm
Location: MN, USA
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by mincemeat »

Oooh. Please keep us updated, I'm really interested in buying a Yamato.
Current Builds
Mk. A Whippet: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=21073
Panzer IV Ausf D Buddy Build with SteveAFV: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=19653
User avatar
gustavlekstal
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:02 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by gustavlekstal »

Good luck with that small pe. And putting thoose barrels on gonna give you some real joy. Happy modelling!
Regards Gustav

Dragon t-34/85 premium mod 44
Done! viewtopic.php?f=46&t=15153&p=189978#p189978

Dragon 15cm sig33 auf pz.kpfw Ib
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10747

Jsu-152 tamiya with et modelling pe
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12313
User avatar
DBMiller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by DBMiller »

Big update coming Sunday! I've really done it now; I'll never finish this one! :shock:
ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
User avatar
DBMiller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by DBMiller »

Battleship Yamato!
Image.Image

Image

From Wiki:
.Yamato (大和?), named after the ancient Japanese Yamato Province, was the lead ship of the Yamato class of battleships that served with the Imperial Japanese Navy during World War II. She and her sister ship, Musashi, were the heaviest and most powerfully armed battleships ever constructed, displacing 72,800 tonnes at full load and armed with nine 46 cm (18.1 inch) main guns. Neither ship survived the war.
.During 1944, the balance of naval power in the Pacific decisively turned against Japan and, by early 1945, the Japanese fleet was much depleted and critically short of fuel stocks in the home islands, limiting its usefulness. In April 1945, in a desperate attempt to slow the Allied advance, Yamato was dispatched on a one way voyage to Okinawa, where it was intended that she should protect the island from invasion and fight until destroyed. The task force was spotted south of Kyushu by US submarines and aircraft, and on 7 April 1945 she was sunk by American carrier-based bombers and torpedo bombers with the loss of most of her crew.

Sea trials... and her end.
Image.Image

The kit and the extras!

Image

Image

Image.Image

The kit doesn't have too many parts at all. So, naturally, I had to go almost overboard on extras! I say 'almost' because there was another photo etch set with even more! I just didn't see it before I ordered what I did get.

What I bought extra.

Image.Image

Image.Image

A wooden deck. The set comes with anchor chain and hose reels.

Image.Image.Image.Image

The 19" guns. The guns are small, as you can see.

Image

But, not nearly as small as the 6" guns! I've had slivers bigger than these! What was I thinking?

Image

I won't be starting this for a few days; I want to get more done on the Marder. But, when I do start wish me luck!

For a little bonus.

[youtube]-T39GaMyP5c[/youtube]
ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
User avatar
Hillbilly
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:15 pm
Location: Missouri,USA

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by Hillbilly »

Holy Crap :eeek: This thing is going to be insane (If you don't go insane building all that PE) :nena:
Steve

Make something idiot proof and someone will come along and make a better idiot.
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by trekfanj »

Great choice, DB! :th: :th:
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
User avatar
DBMiller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by DBMiller »

Finally, an update! With some building involved!

I've started on sub-assemblies to get warmed up for the photo etch work. As you can see here, the kit's main guns are attached in a row to be inserted into the housing from below. They do not have blast bags on the guns or the housing. The metal guns are designed for the newer Yamato kit that has the blast bags attached already. You are supposed to cut off the guns, drill into the bag and insert the new gun. I can't do that here.

Image

What I did was glue in the guns, attach a thin plastic underside (the kit part is just open), and cut off just enough gun barrel so the length with the metal barrel is the same. The stub of plastic will be useful as a base for sculpting the blast bags. Neat.
:th:

Image.Image

See how nice the metal barrels look next to the clunky plastic ones? Very nice! Also, a bit of superstructure work.


Image.Image
ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by rodrant »

Looking good mate ! Really those metal barrels make the difference ! Will follow close this one ! Would like to build one of these Battlecruisers , seems a funny build !

Good luck with it ! :th:

:cheers2:
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
User avatar
CJSomerset
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 1:46 pm
Location: Somerset - UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by CJSomerset »

Good luck with this! I've just started a 1/48 kit with my first PE set, and I couldn't believe how small they were....... :th:
Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints!
User avatar
Les
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:53 am
Location: Westminster, Colorado, United States

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by Les »

This a really nice looking kit; those PE parts really do help with the overall look I must admit! Looking forward to seeing how all of this comes together. You are off to a great start! :)
Image
User avatar
mincemeat
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 702
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:14 pm
Location: MN, USA
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by mincemeat »

A huge improvement with the metal barrels! Any idea how you'll handle the blast bags yet? Since it's a waterline series will you put it in "water"?
Current Builds
Mk. A Whippet: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=21073
Panzer IV Ausf D Buddy Build with SteveAFV: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=19653
User avatar
DBMiller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by DBMiller »

Thanks for all the positive feedback, I need it! Mincemeat, I'm a long way off from the end, but I will be putting it in water. I've been looking at other waterline builds for inspiration. Photo etch seemed like such a good idea at the start because at this size all the parts look so thick and out of scale. Not so much now!

Some more work:


Here is a shot of some of the smaller kit parts I have to work with. How do I even clean off the flash from parts this small?
Image

This part was bad enough, and it isn't even photo etch!
Image

But, this part...really????? And it isn't even remotely the smallest bit! I'm expected to fold it in thirds to form a triangular tube. Sure, now, where did I leave my electron microscope? That's a millimeter rule, by the way.
Image

That's right, this part.
Image

I gave it a go. I almost got it triangular. This part, an antenna, attaches to the mast up above. You can see the difference between the kit part and the photo etch part. Small, but, wait until you see the part that replaces the little stubs coming off the upright! I will be I hope, rebuilding the whole thing. I only glued it to the kit part so I wouldn't loose it!
Image.Image

This is what I'm supposed to be making. Riiiiiiight. ;)
Image
ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
User avatar
mincemeat
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 702
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:14 pm
Location: MN, USA
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by mincemeat »

Wow, that piece is tiny! Keep at it, the PE will look awesome compared to the original plastic parts!
Current Builds
Mk. A Whippet: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=21073
Panzer IV Ausf D Buddy Build with SteveAFV: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=19653
User avatar
DBMiller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by DBMiller »

I'm really not too sure about this photo etch stuff! And super glue; I can glue my fingers together, the tweezers shut, or the part to anywhere but where it is supposed to go! :evil:

Tom's Model Works makes a very nice product, don't get me wrong, but there is not a parts breakdown for the fret so finding pieces is a matter of searching for them! The assembly instructions are weak to useless since there aren't any real photos or decent images to show how things are supposed to go. Also, although the set is for 'any Yamato' kit, it is made for the newer Tamiya or Fujimi kits, so the numbers that refer to kit parts are not the same as what I have. I had to download instructions for the other kit just to know what is what! And, not only are the part numbers different, the PARTS are different! For example, the range finder has a photo etch deck and rail. They are not the same shape as what I have so there are gaps. What should have been one of the easier parts to glue was a mess!


Image.Image.Image

As for instructions, the flight deck's, made by Lion's Roar, are much better! I can tell what is going on with these, even if the set is made for the newer kit as well at least they have part numbers! This is the Lion's Roar next to Tom's Model Works.

Image.Image

Since the flight deck looked less painful I gave it a try. First, off with the old detail!
Image.Image

The part taped in place. Not exactly the right size but should be ok.

Image

And with the vents cut out.
Image

Ahhhh, the joys of an old kit with a warped hull! Clamped up a bit so it will dry flat onto the base.

Image.
ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
User avatar
rwsmith14
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1277
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:24 am
Location: Aledo, TX, USA
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by rwsmith14 »

I feel your Pain. I hate P.E.. :bash: ...I just do not the patience to do it... I'm sure your efforts are going to pay off. :thumb2:
Image
User avatar
mincemeat
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 702
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:14 pm
Location: MN, USA
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by mincemeat »

I see what you're saying. I agree with rwsmith, the pain will pay off in the end. After I've handled small delicate parts, it's really nice to glue something big that doesn't require tweezers, a real pleasure actually. Great documentation of your build!
Current Builds
Mk. A Whippet: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=21073
Panzer IV Ausf D Buddy Build with SteveAFV: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=19653
User avatar
gustavlekstal
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:02 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by gustavlekstal »

The pe that dosent kill you today makes you a better modeller tomorrow when you have unglued you fingertips :thumb1: good luck friend.

There is always slozap to help
http://www.supergluecorp.com/zap/zap-glues/slo-zap-ca
Regards Gustav

Dragon t-34/85 premium mod 44
Done! viewtopic.php?f=46&t=15153&p=189978#p189978

Dragon 15cm sig33 auf pz.kpfw Ib
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10747

Jsu-152 tamiya with et modelling pe
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12313
User avatar
DC87
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1799
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:16 pm
Location: Exeter, Devon, UK
England

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by DC87 »

Serious building going on here, pe will be worth the pain in the end.
Dan C

Filling the workbench with:
Sopwith Snipe late post war
WW1 RFC SE5a

WW1-1/32 Snipe
Workbench gets full with models being built - Buys another workbench!

Image
User avatar
panzerman
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:31 am
Location: Glen Burnie, Maryland

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by panzerman »

Looking good with all that after market goodies. The brass barrels are wicked cool. Man....1/700 scale P.E......that's microsurgery. Good luck with the rest of the build.
Bill.
Image
User avatar
DBMiller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by DBMiller »

Only a tiny update today. I put it away for a bit once the paints to finish my other kit, the Marder, came in. I needed a mental break to sort out how much I want to put into this kit or even if I finish it at all.

I decided to complete the build after all, but it won't look anything like I envisioned when I spent all that money on photo etch parts, metal barrels, and a wooden deck. One of the reasons is because I didn't count on how hard the photo etch would be to use. The other reason is that none of these parts are made for this old Tamiya kit! They say they will work on any Yamato but that is overly optimistic.

The wooden deck is made for a kit that has a different main deck layout, so none of the knock outs match up with my kit. This means that I'm going to have to cut the deck into parts to try to fit it around the superstructure. This will be fun.


Here is the first piece of wooden deck in place. The quality is quite nice and I would recommend this to anyone thinking about a wooden deck. Unfortunately, It was cut to fit a different parts lay out for the deck than my kit uses. My kit deck breaks at that filler line. The kit this wood was cut for breaks where the wood ends. Also, I think those knock out areas (the 5 squares along the seam) are where the hose reels are supposed to be. Obviously, the reels on my kit will have to go. I also had to cut off all the surface detail that my kit did have for the wood to lay flat, and, looking at the main deck, I think there will be a gap at the back end of the wood. That could be a problem. Otherwise, it looks pretty good in place!
Image

Stay tuned for more disappointment! :mrgreen:
Last edited by DBMiller on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
User avatar
Aliktren
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 514
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:49 pm
Location: Dorset, United Kingdom
Contact:
Mauritius

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by Aliktren »

Glad I'm not the only one not wanting to cope with microscopic PE !

Looking forward to seeing this progress
stuff is being built... very slowly....
User avatar
DBMiller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by DBMiller »

So, I've built the part that separates the 2 sections of wood decking. It didn't even come out too bad.

Image.Image

In this shot I've removed the hose reels that would not fit under the wood deck.

Image

On the super structure are vents on either side. They fit down in the area between the structure and the gun mounts, port and starboard. You can just make out the part in the photo. At the back end, there are 2 photo etch parts over these areas. First is a screen then a grate. Both have an opening in them for an access ladder, which is another (3 piece!) photo etch part.

Image.Image
ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
User avatar
mincemeat
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 702
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:14 pm
Location: MN, USA
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by mincemeat »

Don't get down on yourself. In light of the many challenges, you've done an excellent job so far!
Current Builds
Mk. A Whippet: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=21073
Panzer IV Ausf D Buddy Build with SteveAFV: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=19653
User avatar
ToddS
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:15 pm
Location: Oshkosh, Wisconsin USA
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by ToddS »

Nice start! :th: The wood deck looks great, and, one day I would like to build a warship. Never done one before
No one said it would be easy, only that it would be worth it..
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by rodrant »

Nice! The wood deck certainly makes it different , very good start here ! :th:

:cheers2:
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
User avatar
DBMiller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by DBMiller »

It lives! It breathes! The Amazing Patchwork Battleship! What hideous experiments were performed to create such a monstrosity? What hidden depravity exists in the mind of a man who would twist nature in such a way? Look if you dare!

Image.Image

Image

Oh, and I've started on the anti aircraft guns.
Image
ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
User avatar
mincemeat
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 702
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:14 pm
Location: MN, USA
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by mincemeat »

It looks fine to me! Every model has its own story to tell. Perhaps There could be something in the area to distract from it? Weathering, tarps, stuff piled up and on the move, little dudes loitering around playing craps?
Current Builds
Mk. A Whippet: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=21073
Panzer IV Ausf D Buddy Build with SteveAFV: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=19653
User avatar
eightfooticeman
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 581
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:39 am
Location: Woodbridge Virginia, USA
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by eightfooticeman »

14 days left, do you think your going to make it?

:cheers2:
Jermaine
On The Bench:1/12 Tamiya Honda NSR 500 Kit 14099
Ideas: ?
On Hold:1/48 Revell F-15E
User avatar
DBMiller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by DBMiller »

eightfooticeman wrote:14 days left, do you think your going to make it?

:cheers2:
Oh, I'm afraid that ship had to die. Not only was I way over my head with the tiny photo etch parts but they, and the wooden deck, were made for a newer version of that kit. Nothing would fit right and I got frustrated enough to trash the build. I suck. :violin:
I did learn something from it though. Super glue does not like dry air. It would not set up anywhere but my fingers and I found the reason while looking through old modeling mags. There was a letter about that same problem and the answer was that super glue needs moisture in the air to cure. The pellet stove in my room was drying out the air so much the glue would not set. I could have used accelerator but I have used it before and didn't like it.

Thanks for asking, though. :thumb2:
ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
User avatar
eightfooticeman
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 581
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:39 am
Location: Woodbridge Virginia, USA
United States of America

Re: Battleship Yamato, Tamiya 1/700 scale.

Post by eightfooticeman »

DBMiller wrote:
eightfooticeman wrote:14 days left, do you think your going to make it?

:cheers2:
Oh, I'm afraid that ship had to die. Not only was I way over my head with the tiny photo etch parts but they, and the wooden deck, were made for a newer version of that kit. Nothing would fit right and I got frustrated enough to trash the build. I suck. :violin:
I did learn something from it though. Super glue does not like dry air. It would not set up anywhere but my fingers and I found the reason while looking through old modeling mags. There was a letter about that same problem and the answer was that super glue needs moisture in the air to cure. The pellet stove in my room was drying out the air so much the glue would not set. I could have used accelerator but I have used it before and didn't like it.

Thanks for asking, though. :thumb2:
No worries mate, try try again is what I say. A for effort!

:cheers2:
Jermaine
On The Bench:1/12 Tamiya Honda NSR 500 Kit 14099
Ideas: ?
On Hold:1/48 Revell F-15E
Post Reply

Return to “Builds”