Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Cars, trucks and bikes
User avatar
Tacoman2000
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:48 am
Location: SL,UT........USA

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Tacoman2000 »

Proof that all Ferraris don't need to be red...this is a gorgeous blue
Image

This car is sooooo gorgeous I made it my desktop picture at work. I love it. Me thinks that when I buy on of those Fujimi kit from EBAY I might go bold and do something like this! :th:
On the bench: I don't have a bench right now :violin:

I'm not a complete idiot! I have pieces missing.

William
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Oh absolutely, go for it...and do a build thread so we can follow along
Let me work out all the bugs in the kit :bash: and screw it up so you know where the tiger traps are
Really, would be fun to see you make it beautiful blue like that :thumb2:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Tacoman2000
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:48 am
Location: SL,UT........USA

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Tacoman2000 »

Ok Scott. Deal. I will purchase a kit asap from EBAY. I have a couple kits that I need to finish, but will do a thread to share the highs and lows.
On the bench: I don't have a bench right now :violin:

I'm not a complete idiot! I have pieces missing.

William
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

I posted these in another forum about the F 40
Son and I visited a buddy with a 328 GTS and we got some pics. Bad news is that I am too fat for my dream car and my feet are too wide for the tiny pedals!!
Image

Image
Last edited by Twokidsnosleep on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Tacoman2000 wrote:Ok Scott. Deal. I will purchase a kit asap from EBAY. I have a couple kits that I need to finish, but will do a thread to share the highs and lows.
Cool
I might even have some PE to share with you
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Tacoman2000
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:48 am
Location: SL,UT........USA

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Tacoman2000 »

Nice 328, but I was looking at the 2 '69 Camaro's next to it. I owned a 1969 Camaro RS that I did an engine swap and suspension swap. I miss that car everyday.
On the bench: I don't have a bench right now :violin:

I'm not a complete idiot! I have pieces missing.

William
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

You have a good eye and would love this guy's place.
He is a Vancouver cop and builds '69 Camaros, mostly. I think he has done a dozen or so.
There are 3 Camaros in that small space as well as the Ferrari, and a Mustang boss, lotus elise in another garage out back
Not a big fancy garage, but he knows what he is doing and outsources stuff as need be

My 13 yr old son is absolutely bonkers about cars, so I may use the cop friend's contacts to get him a cool project car when the time comes
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Tacoman2000
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:48 am
Location: SL,UT........USA

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Tacoman2000 »

I MIGHT NEED TO MAKE A VISIT TO BC! I AM LOOKING FOR ANOTHER 69 CAMARO FOR MY OWN PROJECT CAR. MY DAD WAS A COP TOO. IT WOULD GET FUN TO VISIT WITH HIM FOR A BIT.
On the bench: I don't have a bench right now :violin:

I'm not a complete idiot! I have pieces missing.

William
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Twokidsnosleep wrote:
Tacoman2000 wrote:Ok Scott. Deal. I will purchase a kit asap from EBAY. I have a couple kits that I need to finish, but will do a thread to share the highs and lows.
Cool
I might even have some PE to share with you

My PE came last night :crazy:
No instruction or even ID diagram and low quality vs others I have seen
At least it was only $20, caveat emptor.... :wall:
Not much useful and is designed for a Testarossa rather than an F 40
Both of the Ferrari scripts are over etched, letters destroyed and have holes in some areas and not etched away in others....not so useable

Guys, be careful when you buy stuff off E Bay
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Tacoman2000
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:48 am
Location: SL,UT........USA

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Tacoman2000 »

Bummer man. Can you salvage any of it?
On the bench: I don't have a bench right now :violin:

I'm not a complete idiot! I have pieces missing.

William
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Bits an pieces especially interior....but the kit is pretty well moulded so why destroy it for iffy PE
It is definitely for a Testarossa, not a F 40 so the ad was a bit misleading, as were the pics
I thought I would be able to use more of it
It is all good though, my fault only a $20 lesson and I have some scrap PE for scratch building
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Tacoman2000
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:48 am
Location: SL,UT........USA

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Tacoman2000 »

:banana: Way to look on the positive :banana:
On the bench: I don't have a bench right now :violin:

I'm not a complete idiot! I have pieces missing.

William
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Thanks
I was reading a thread from a car site about guys buying a resin Lambo Miura from a small operation in Italy
It was a bit of a mess and some lost a bucket of money. Many got a lower quality than expected "kit", other seemed reasonably happy and some got nothing for their money and no contact from the seller.
Funny to read that and then find my PE less than what I expected. The E Bay guy was nice and I have bought other stuff from him, but my suspicion level rose a notch or two on items I can't touch before purchase. Now I am worried about the Pocher Testarossa
Caveat Emptor...let the buyer beware
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

I added some detail to the front of the engine.... I think these are the cam covers.....please correct me if I am wrong
Two glaring holes visible, cut some aluuminiuummm (sound that out English style) tubing

Image

Silly thing to do for a couple hours, but whatever
]Image
Last edited by Twokidsnosleep on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
Tomtom12
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:57 pm

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Tomtom12 »

Hi scott, coming along nicely, I think the two large aluminium coloured parts are inter coolers for the turbos.
.
Tomtom12
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:57 pm

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Tomtom12 »

Oh my mistake just reread your post and I see the part you mean on the end of the engine block.
.
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Thanks for your input!
That is perfectly fine as now you name another unknown structure for me
When I was a kid, the instructions for model kits actually told you what all the parts were, not just a number to glue in
So you actually learned engine anatomy at the time of building
I don't see that in modern kits
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

No I don't, please expand my knowledge
Seriously
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

A little more progress of the engine....focus is on the wiring to the heads
Image

I used black Golden art acrylic paint to blob a few layers onto the red wire end
Let it dry 5 minutes and then stuff in the hole...to make it look like a black rubber plug

Image

Used some PE bands bent in a U to act as a wire retaining clip

Image

Not done with the exhaust and headers, need a bit better heat effect as my blue tint with gold went greenish. Exhaust tips to be chromed
Last edited by Twokidsnosleep on Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

This is with the air boxes on...opposite sides so they sit without glue
Image
It is a cool engine!
I am sitting here making all kinds of revving sounds as I build....like a little kid
Last edited by Twokidsnosleep on Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
Tomtom12
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:57 pm

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Tomtom12 »

Looking good scot, mine went abit green on the exhaust staining, I saw a guid on you tube and guy used artist oil for his blue thinned with turbentine, I think that's where I went wrong I used tamiya clear blue.

David
.
User avatar
Hillbilly
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:15 pm
Location: Missouri,USA

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Hillbilly »

That engine is really coming together nicely! Very nice job on those plug wires,that is one part of detailing an engine that can be easy to mess up as it can be hard to get the plug wires to lay in a natural fashion,but you pulled it off perfectly! :clap:
Steve

Make something idiot proof and someone will come along and make a better idiot.
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Thanks Steve, it took some time and a few choice words to get those darn wires to line up.
They have copper inside the plastic which helps tons and I made sure the lengths for the inside two were the same and matched the outside two as well...that keeps the loops symmetrical.
The double clip thing with the PE just kind of came to me last night
Last edited by Twokidsnosleep on Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Tomtom12 wrote:Looking good scot, mine went abit green on the exhaust staining, I saw a guid on you tube and guy used artist oil for his blue thinned with turbentine, I think that's where I went wrong I used tamiya clear blue.

David
I did the same thing exactly and I watched the same video too
I am always prepared to screw some thing up
Thanks for looking in on me :D
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by UKguyInUSA »

A nice looking Engine for an even better looking car! Vrrmm, Vrrrmm, Vrrrmmmmmmm!!!! :) :thumb1: :thumb1:
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
User avatar
Homerlovesbeer
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:50 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Australia

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Homerlovesbeer »

I'm really enjoying this. Thanks!
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Thanks for looking in guys...I know I babble on and post tons of silly pics, but it helps me build and is fun to look at after the project is done.

Martin, here is the car revving. I can make both the low rumble and the loud rev
......both with lots of spit :tongue:

Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Off for a holiday for two weeks, so this project is on hold
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Day one is finished, how will I take no modelling 2 weeks!!

Image
Oh well I will just play in the water and sleep on the beach instead
Last edited by Twokidsnosleep on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Oh crud, I renamed and reorganized my photobucket album and lost a bunch of pics
I will reassemble everything next week when I am not on vacation and can use my iMac...too hard to do on a little iPad

I persevered and got the photos repaired as best I could
Sorry for any broken links
Don't change the name of your photobucket albums!!!!! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Twokidsnosleep on Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

And on a better note, I caved in and bought the Pocher version of the F40 engine
while on vacation this week.

Image
It will be sweet to display and there is a lot of aftermarket stuff for it
BUT the best kit is from Germany E Bay that I cannot get stuff from. It is an Autograf F40 Engine kit no longer in production. If anyone has info on one, I am very interested. The North American kit is ok, but not as good as the Autograf
Last edited by Twokidsnosleep on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
Tomtom12
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:57 pm

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Tomtom12 »

Nice looking engine, just seen A F40 on the way home from work today
.
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Tomtom12 wrote:Nice looking engine, just seen A F40 on the way home from work today
Stationary or driving along??
Would love to study a real one....better yet, would love to HAVE a real one
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
Tomtom12
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:57 pm

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Tomtom12 »

Twokidsnosleep wrote:
Tomtom12 wrote:Nice looking engine, just seen A F40 on the way home from work today
Stationary or driving along??
Would love to study a real one....better yet, would love to HAVE a real one

Driving along through the centre of Bath I was on the way home from work.
.
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Started dry fitting the Pocher 1/8 F 40 engine tonight

Image

Image

It goes together like a jigsaw puzzle so no cement. I can do a dry run and can take it apart and paint and detail after. The larger transmission bits had 'fallen off' their sprues, so I couldn't help but put them together....ignore those cutters please
Last edited by Twokidsnosleep on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
peppie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:10 pm
Location: Boskoop Holland
Netherlands

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by peppie »

Great work on the engine :bow:
Looks very realistic.
Joined this forum to become a better modell builder. Now, if I can just put away my laptop and start building..

On the Bench:

Piper PA-18-150
Ford GPA
GMC cckw 1947
Ford V3000 "Bello"
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

I am making different exhaust tips for the 1/16 Fujimi F40 with five pipes

Image

Shish-kabob skewers into the aluminum tubes act as a mandrel mounted into the dremel. Then dental diamond tool to thin the inner lip and flare with more wood wedged into tube.
Finally dental polishers to shine the metal up. Hope that makes sense...it is a poor man's lathe basically.

Image

I am thinking of heating the metal to get a colour patina, but will test it on a sample bit so I don't destroy them...NOPE Don't heat the aluminium, it melts the thinned lip and wreaks everything!
Last edited by Twokidsnosleep on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

The car that fits the Pocher engine came today...yikes she is a big girl
Image
Image
Last edited by Twokidsnosleep on Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Tacoman2000
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:48 am
Location: SL,UT........USA

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Tacoman2000 »

That is gorgeous Scott. What are the dimensions on that B-E-A-U-T-Y? :banana:
On the bench: I don't have a bench right now :violin:

I'm not a complete idiot! I have pieces missing.

William
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Tacoman2000 wrote:That is gorgeous Scott. What are the dimensions on that B-E-A-U-T-Y? :banana:
It is a flipping monster 10" wide by 22" long by 5"high
Almost 2 feet long!!!
I am glad I get to see a complete one now so I can plan out cabinetry for displaying them
I will have 4 Pocher cars in my stash total

I patched up a missing headlight, taped the rear window on and spray waxed the body
Gonna take her to work to get it out of the way off my model desk
It is awesome
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

My progress on this build has stalled for a bit
Doing the Egg Sig and then the Star Wars one so not much time
Will post up when I get back to it
:cheers2:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Hey guys,
Got some F40 time in after the egg complete and before Star Wars starts
So made the five chrome tips and tested out their fit with a mock up into the rear end
Image

Image
Image
Last edited by Twokidsnosleep on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Eating this terrible gum my kids didn't like for the metal wrapper which will make a perfect heat wrap for inside the splitter..there are brutal ejection pin marks in the textured area of the splitter, so have to cover it
Image
Last edited by Twokidsnosleep on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Doing a little paint testing
Using red cutlery to mimick the Fujimi's plastic, have primed Tamiya white and Tamiya grey
Want to see how the coverage is and play with black layering

But first off a test of the AkTrue Metal aluminum to be used on the underpan in the belly
This is the third of three brush coats of TM aluminum not polished, just finishing drying.
Pretty good coverage and easy to paint, just make sure layers are dry before applying another
Image
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

A tighter shot of the knives....some brush lines showing
Image
In the video for the True Metal, the AK guy let the paint dry for 30 min....I will do at least that and go run some errands
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

First layer of TS-40 Tamiya Metallic Black
Image
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Homerlovesbeer
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:50 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Australia

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Homerlovesbeer »

That looks really good. What do u think of the AK metal paints?
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Homerlovesbeer wrote:That looks really good. What do u think of the AK metal paints?
Well sir, let me show you
The results of my little experiment with this stuff in my hands using my methods were kind of a big......meh. Ok, but not great. I had a good prime on the plastic and let three coats sit for over three hours dry time with a half hour between coats and it still had rub off when you touch it.

Image

Don't even think of machine polish it or it is toast.
Last edited by Twokidsnosleep on Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

A little closer up pics shows I have worn through the paint with both the wheel polisher and just starting to by hand.
Image
The sharp corners and edges are especially delicate easy to go through to the primer
There is more paint coming off onto the red cotton polish rag than I thought would happen
I got a finger print on both knife tips and it won't polish out you wil just go to primer.

So over all, I like the stuff, but it is not the second coming
It paints easily, handles well, low smell and good aluminum color. Plus lots in the tube so a little goes a long way. My best shine is off a white prime layer with LIGHT and careful polish, especially at sharp contours.
Honestly my Tamiya XF-16 with a clear coat looks almost as good
Last edited by Twokidsnosleep on Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Homerlovesbeer
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:50 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Australia

Re: Ferrari F40 Fujimi 1/16 Scale

Post by Homerlovesbeer »

Have you tried the Gunze Mr Metal Color Aluminium?

Image
Post Reply

Return to “Road Vehicles”