Hi from Manchester

Introduce yourself to other forum members
Post Reply
User avatar
GangsterNo1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:20 am
Location: Manchester, UK
England

Hi from Manchester

Post by GangsterNo1 »

Hi everyone

Got the bug again after trying to get my sons interested in doing something other than making things in Minecraft. I built planes and painted Citadel D&D miniatures as a kid in the 80s but they were shocking. I've nearly finished a Tamiya mid-prod Tiger as my first project, and I've used the advice on the You Tube channel, this forum and lots of other places to get me going. I think this first effort is a bit of a mess as I've got carried away trying all the different techniques / weathering products out, but I have really enjoyed it. Also, still brush painting as the wife looked at me with 'that look' when I mentioned spending money on an airbrush set up. You seem like a friendly bunch so I may share a photo or two of the build, but looking at the standard out there I'm pretty embarrassed at my first serious efforts.

Next projects are dioramas to tell the stories of both of my Grandads in WWII. Both were in the South African army (UDF) and taken prisoner 7 months apart at Torbruk. One was an anti-tank gunner left as a rearguard in June 1942 for the South African 1st Division in the 'Gazala Gallop'. The other was a signalman for the 5th South African Brigade taken at Sidi Rezegh on 'Totensonntag' 23rd November 1941. I have even thought about suggesting this kind of topic as a SIG build. I'm sure lots of you have relatives with stories that would make great scenes.

As an aside, for what it's worth, I've done a lot of research on the North Africa campaign, especially the South African involvement, and would be happy to share info. I've also researched a lot into POW camps and The Long Marches that POWs were sent on by the Germans to prevent liberation. I'll be happy to share anything I can to help with builds or even your own family history research. For me, a massive part of the build is the background and research into the story of the model.

Sorry for the essay, I'm just excited to be back doing something I really enjoy. Goodbye for now, but I look forward to joining in with the community here.
On the Bench: Waiting to get started
Steam ID: Gangster No:1
User avatar
Gav0909
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2927
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Hi from Manchester

Post by Gav0909 »

Welcome to ISM, good to see you getting stuck in to the hobby!
User avatar
Lee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Hi from Manchester

Post by Lee »

Welcome to ISM :)
Where does all the bloody time go.....?

Owner of Ultimate Modelling Products
User avatar
d6mst0
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 347
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:54 am
United States of America

Re: Hi from Manchester

Post by d6mst0 »

Welcome to ISM from San Antonio, TX
Gerberman
New Recruit
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:40 pm
Great Britain

Re: Hi from Manchester

Post by Gerberman »

Hi and welcome, I`m also returning to the hobby ( after 40 years) I also got "the look" when I started looking at airbrush kit so I`m stuck with brushes at the moment but if the bug bites deep I will get one LOL.
User avatar
Daniel2014
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:51 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Hi from Manchester

Post by Daniel2014 »

Welcome to the ISM Forum :thumb2:
Post Reply

Return to “Introductions”