Tiger in the desert Rye ;)

Whether its tracked or wheeled, this is the place for it
Post Reply
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Tiger in the desert Rye ;)

Post by Coen »

Hey Fellas :hi:
With the test build of the Rye Fields Tiger I finished, I decided that I didn't want to leave it in just it's skin. So I dressed it up a bit and set it up with a small vignette base of a town road in Tunisia somewhere (I haven't decided yet).

I started by adding some stowage to hide the seamlines in the fiefel hoses. Then some camouflage netting (an old hairnet that I found) to hide the poorly moulded track cable, and a pair of figures to give it some life.


Image

I added some spare tracks to the turret sides, and hung some helmets from them and from the frame for the turret bin.

Image

Image

Image


One of the figures was really old and had a piss poor paint job on it, so I had to strip it back to plastic.
Out comes the Detol and toothbrush. A good 30 soak and some brushing, and a bit more soaking and done (Don't rinse with water... it's tempting but don't do it. It turns the Detol and disolved paint into a thick sticky gluelike stuff).

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Then I added a tarp made from the foil seal off a package of pringles, and scratch built a wooden box to hold some wine and soup tins to put on the turret. I also added a few jerry cans to the stowage and strung some crew canteens from a piece of stretched sprue along the side of the turret.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Next is the final clean up of the figures (putty, seams and the like) and then paint.





User avatar
SKANKSTA
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:01 pm
United States of America

Re: Tiger in the desert Rye ;)

Post by SKANKSTA »

That's probably the most cluttered Tiger I've ever seen. Love it =D
-Andrew Schanck

On the Bench:
1/35 Academy Early Production Tiger I [FULL SUPERDETAIL]
1/35 Cyber-Hobby "Black Knight" Hetzer - Heil the Hunters GB
User avatar
EasyEight96
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:04 pm
Location: Malaysia
Malaysia

Re: Tiger in the desert Rye ;)

Post by EasyEight96 »

Nice work Coen that detol technique is wicked so you just dried it off like that without water wow
In -progress

Too many on the bench!!!

Matchbox Kits lover....
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Tiger in the desert Rye ;)

Post by Coen »

I rinse it off in the dettol then let it dry on some paper towel for a few minutes. Then I'll wipe it with some paper towel or snot rag.
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Tiger in the desert Rye ;)

Post by Coen »

SKANKSTA wrote:That's probably the most cluttered Tiger I've ever seen. Love it =D
A few of the DAKs ran around with stowage hanging every which way. I always loved the look of them. It became very strict policy not to store gear externally on tigers later, but in NA they were a bit more lenient maybe.
Still, I've always wanted to toss some junk on a tiger. :)

ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Nige99
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 751
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:53 pm
Location: Wrexham North Wales

Re: Tiger in the desert Rye ;)

Post by Nige99 »

This is great work Mike buddie. Love the way you improvised the bad seams etc. that Dak Tiger does look like a gypsies caravan. Looks awesome :banana:
You can run, but you'll only die tired!
User avatar
GangsterNo1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:20 am
Location: Manchester, UK
England

Re: Tiger in the desert Rye ;)

Post by GangsterNo1 »

Coen

Using the Mr.Surfacer like that for texture looks interesting. Heard you mention it in the youtube vid but was wondering a bit about the technique. Is it simply applying it (how?) and letting it dry to get a better texture? Any tips appreciated, cheers.
On the Bench: Waiting to get started
Steam ID: Gangster No:1
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Tiger in the desert Rye ;)

Post by Coen »

GangsterNo1 wrote:Coen

Using the Mr.Surfacer like that for texture looks interesting. Heard you mention it in the youtube vid but was wondering a bit about the technique. Is it simply applying it (how?) and letting it dry to get a better texture? Any tips appreciated, cheers.

I did a YouTube video some time ago that shows me using it bud. Somewhere about 28 minutes in or so.
I'm not using proper ventilation or a respirator in the vid so don't listen to what I'm saying, it's more what I'm doing than what I'm saying.
I get a bit... Silly.

[youtube]y1TztjPGxyM[/youtube]
User avatar
MarkVerploeg
Major
Major
Posts: 4837
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:21 am
Location: Oss, Noord Braband The Netherlands
Netherlands

Re: Tiger in the desert Rye ;)

Post by MarkVerploeg »

Looks good so far
But that is to be expected when YOU build a Tiger
I do have 1 question
You added texture to the hull and several other surfaces
But you left the drivers vision port clean
Does this part have a good texture already
Because i think(could very well be wrong) that these parts are casted when they are produced so it would seem likely that they have some kind of texture to them
On the bench
GB builds
1/35 Trumpeter M1132 ESV

Personal builds
1/35 Hobby Boss M1070 tractor with M1000 semi trailer and Meng M1A2 TUSK II Abrams
1/35 Takom V2 rocket with the Meillerwagen and SS100 tractor
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Tiger in the desert Rye ;)

Post by Coen »

They did have texture Mark. I used my sander to add it though, so I didn't need to add it with the Mr Surfacer.
I roughed up the surface and gave it a couple of small nicks.
User avatar
MarkVerploeg
Major
Major
Posts: 4837
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:21 am
Location: Oss, Noord Braband The Netherlands
Netherlands

Re: Tiger in the desert Rye ;)

Post by MarkVerploeg »

I see
I couldn't see it and i don't remember seeing it in your yt video
Thanks for the explanation
On the bench
GB builds
1/35 Trumpeter M1132 ESV

Personal builds
1/35 Hobby Boss M1070 tractor with M1000 semi trailer and Meng M1A2 TUSK II Abrams
1/35 Takom V2 rocket with the Meillerwagen and SS100 tractor
Oper8or
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:33 am

Re: Tiger in the desert Rye ;)

Post by Oper8or »

The video was great! I love this build. Very nicely done sir! I look forward to an update soon. This will turn out so different.
User avatar
hansolo
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:36 pm
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:
Netherlands

Re: Tiger in the desert Rye ;)

Post by hansolo »

Again an awesome piece, Mike! Saw the video on YT of the finished dio.
I especially love the way you dressed this puppy up. Makes it unique and lots to look at.
That tarp is from a wine bottle cap?

cheers
Cheers
Hansolo

May the sprue be with you. :th:
PanzerGarage
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:30 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Tiger in the desert Rye ;)

Post by PanzerGarage »

Great Tiger mate. Like the extra touches of water bottles etc. Its going to look great when finished. I am actually keen to find out how/what you will use for the base shrubs etc as thats where I often get stuck - not a wide selection here
Panzergarage

On the bench...
Dragon Stug G Late
Tamiya Stug G Finnish
MB BMW Crossroads
Tiger Initial, Leningrad

Some nice Whiskey - can I say that?
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Tiger in the desert Rye ;)

Post by Coen »

I didn't actually end up building a base for this bud. I reused and old one that I've had kicking around for ages for taking pictures.
Here's the link to the final pictures if it's of interst.

http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 46&t=14373
Post Reply

Return to “Armour & Military Vehicles”