What Color Primer

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
Joe
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:25 am
Location: Kansas City, USA

What Color Primer

Post by Joe »

I'm going to building a Soviet Mig and The base coat will be an acrylic light grey (aka aircraft grey). I am wondering what color primer I should use: Grey? White? Possibly black? I saw one of Paul's "On the Bench" shows and he mentioned he was thinking of using gloss black primer on all his planes. Has anybody else tried that?

Thanks mates! Cheers!

Joe
On The Bench: 1/72 Revel Mig-31 and KP 1/72 Mig-23
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: What Color Primer

Post by Stokesy44 »

Hey Joe

I guess it depends on what paint methodology you are going to use. If you're planning to pre-shade the panel lines then a light grey primer is perfect.

I have used black primer on my sci-fi kits as they have a lot of surface detail and a pre-shade isn't the way to go. Similarly, if its armour, a lot of people go for black as it creates depth (or weight) under the main coat. Its a brute of iron after all.

Personally, with aircraft, I go for a light primer and pre-shaded panel lines. It seems more subtle somehow and helps to create that stressed metal look, adding detail while not taking away from the sleekness of the aircraft.

Then there's post shading but I haven't worked out how to do that yet - Lol
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
User avatar
Backfire22
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:56 am
Location: Jacksonville Florida

Re: What Color Primer

Post by Backfire22 »

What works for me: white primer on all painted aircraft, then pre shading
gloss black for non painted aircraft then I normally use Alclad II
grey primer for modern ships
tan primer for wooden ships and armor.
RobertK
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:49 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: What Color Primer

Post by RobertK »

If you are painting figures, brown is a good primer for flesh tones. Well, brown is great for any warm colour, if you for example use dunkelgelb on a tank a brown primer will look really good.
But, grey, white and black will generally work for everything. I mostly use black nowadays, because, well, I have alot of it ;-)
:banana:
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”