Mixing paint with thinner -

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
kruno59
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:14 pm
Location: Bexleyheath - Kent - UK

Mixing paint with thinner -

Post by kruno59 »

Guys,

I have changed the way I mix the paint and thinners. Before I used to do it in the cup - thinner first, then paint, then mix.

It sprayed ok but sometimes clogged up. So, I got a small measuring spoon and mixed the two components in that and then poured in into the airbrush.

It's made a massive difference and could be the reason why some people struggle with paint not laying down properly.
SteveW
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 432
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:57 pm
Location: Maldon, Essex
Great Britain

Re: Mixing paint with thinner -

Post by SteveW »

Have to agree with you. I started out doing the same, mixing in the cup. Have to say when I changed to external mixing it became a lot easier.
kruno59
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:14 pm
Location: Bexleyheath - Kent - UK

Re: Mixing paint with thinner -

Post by kruno59 »

It's makes a massive difference - as newby I think everyone starting out using an airbrush should use this method.

As I said I used some measuring spoons to mix things together - when done just wipe clean
User avatar
aur0ra145
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3161
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 am
Location: TX
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Mixing paint with thinner -

Post by aur0ra145 »

I will try this today.
OneSmallStep1966
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:37 pm
Location: Herne Bay, Kent (UK)
England

Re: Mixing paint with thinner -

Post by OneSmallStep1966 »

I use disposable plastic shot-glasses to mix my paint in. A pack of 40 can usually be found in the pound stores.
User avatar
MajorTom2004
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:16 pm
Location: Zurich Area
Switzerland

Re: Mixing paint with thinner -

Post by MajorTom2004 »

I totally agree. For small amounts of color I use ink cups for tattooers
Cheers
Thomas
kruno59
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:14 pm
Location: Bexleyheath - Kent - UK

Re: Mixing paint with thinner -

Post by kruno59 »

I wish I had discovered this 6 months ago - it would have saved a lot of heartache - also the airbrush is easier to clean
User avatar
aur0ra145
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3161
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 am
Location: TX
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Mixing paint with thinner -

Post by aur0ra145 »

This worked incredibly well. I'm never going back. Well, for now.
User avatar
MajorTom2004
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:16 pm
Location: Zurich Area
Switzerland

Re: Mixing paint with thinner -

Post by MajorTom2004 »

And for me I found it is incredibly important not to contaminate liquids. I mean using only one pipette for acrylic thinner and another one for lacquer thinner and never exchange them, unless they were cleaned.
Cheers
Thomas
Damonkh
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Burbank, CA
Contact:

Re: Mixing paint with thinner -

Post by Damonkh »

I am just journeying into Acrylics, but fwiw, my experience with enamels is the same. Always mixed in a plastic "shot" glass or you can get those plastic condiments cups as well.
Damon "Mad Hat Modeler"
On the Bench...
B-25 Mitchell
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: Mixing paint with thinner -

Post by Lysus »

I use a half dozen empty glass bottles for the acrylics. Acrylics wash out easily when I'm done and I can keep reserve mixed up paints ready for touch up on a project if there's leftover.

Mixing in the airbrush is messy.
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
Scalemodelmedic
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:28 pm
Location: Tipton, UK
Contact:

Re: Mixing paint with thinner -

Post by Scalemodelmedic »

I've been using the plastic shot glasses for years and they turn up in most my videos. A few years back someone must've decided to increase profits by reducing quality. The crystal clear plastic ribbed sides and nice lip disappeared and now they're cloudy, greasy and chipped. The greasy residue put me off using them to mix paint. I replaced them with medicine cups from Amazon - clear, good quality, measuring lines on the side if you want to be accurate and I also left cellulose thinners in one for days and it didn't melt. They're cheap too!
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”