Hasegawa 1/48 SAAB S35E Draken

All your build threads here...

Moderator: T3hGuppy

Post Reply
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Hasegawa 1/48 SAAB S35E Draken

Post by JonMW »

Second build for this SIG will be a SAAB S35E Draken. This is the recce version of the Draken. I'm going to add a couple of resin bits to it, I'm still missing the wheels but they are on the way.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
A couple of left over bits from my last Draken build.

Image
Landing gear bays.

Image
Cockpit

Image
Engine
Last edited by JonMW on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
TommyKillander
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2776
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:59 pm
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Sweden

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 SAAB S35E Draken

Post by TommyKillander »

Awesome !

I have this in my stash and I was thinking about joining with this one, but you beat me to it :D

But I'm building a Draken now, so I will probably choose something else.

Good luck with the build mate!

These birds went into the air and patrolled our borders only armed with fuel and film :pistols:

:cheers2:
Tommy
User avatar
Hackovsky
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:33 pm
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Czech Republic

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 SAAB S35E Draken

Post by Hackovsky »

Great choice... I am looking forward to see it build. Eduard is planning one limited edition during June with Hasegawa Draken, so it will help to decide, whether to buy or not...
User avatar
rwsmith14
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1277
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:24 am
Location: Aledo, TX, USA
United States of America

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 SAAB S35E Draken

Post by rwsmith14 »

Great, I was hoping someone was going to build this kit :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:
Image
User avatar
Avgas
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2819
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Englandshire
Equatorial Guinea

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 SAAB S35E Draken

Post by Avgas »

:pop:
Eduard is planning one limited edition during June with Hasegawa Draken, so it will help to decide, whether to buy or not...
Ooer, wallet hiding time.
Regards, Dave.
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 SAAB S35E Draken

Post by JonMW »

It's time to start making some progress on this one. Started with painting the cockpit aluminium, then masking off the back wall and painting the rest green. I then started detail painting all the small panels and then buttons and switches.

Image

Image

Image

To finish it off I dry brushed some silver and gave everything a dark green/brown oil wash.

Image

Image

Next up was to start cutting the flaps off the wings as they where always down on parked aircraft. Used a Tamiya PE saw to make the cuts.

Image

Image
Last edited by JonMW on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
TommyKillander
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2776
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:59 pm
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Sweden

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 SAAB S35E Draken

Post by TommyKillander »

Avgas wrote::pop:
Eduard is planning one limited edition during June with Hasegawa Draken, so it will help to decide, whether to buy or not...
Ooer, wallet hiding time.
Haha... too late. The boxart made me do it - ordered it today.

Image

:cheers2:
Tommy
User avatar
TommyKillander
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2776
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:59 pm
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Sweden

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 SAAB S35E Draken

Post by TommyKillander »

Looking good sofar, Jon!

Keep up the good work, this one will (also) be awesome !

:cheers2:
Tommy
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 SAAB S35E Draken

Post by JonMW »

TommyKillander wrote:Looking good sofar, Jon!

Keep up the good work, this one will (also) be awesome !

:cheers2:
Tommy
Thanks mate! Did you only order one of those Eduard kits? I couldn't help myself from getting two.

have continued with gluing the top and bottom of the fuselage together. This is a nice way of doing it as the seams are pretty short. Sadly the front of the fuselage was a bit warped so it will need a bit of filler. The lower half is a bit too narrow. I tried to heat it in warm water and get it into shape, it helped a bit but I didn't get it all the way.

Image

Did a bit more cutting.

Image

It's staring to look a bit like a Draken. There is still a bit of cleanup to do and then fix a couple of things Hasegawa skipped.

Image
Last edited by JonMW on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
TommyKillander
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2776
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:59 pm
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Sweden

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 SAAB S35E Draken

Post by TommyKillander »

JonMW wrote:
TommyKillander wrote:Looking good sofar, Jon!

Keep up the good work, this one will (also) be awesome !

:cheers2:
Tommy
Thanks mate! Did you only order one of those Eduard kits? I couldn't help myself from getting two.
I had to use all my will-power to only buy one :lol:

Great progress, keep up the good work!

:cheers2:
Tommy
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 SAAB S35E Draken

Post by JonMW »

Trying to finish all the details so I can start painting. First thing is to add a couple of parts that Hasegawa forgot. Bought some resin parts from Maestro Models for the Apparat 15 (Device 15) ECM pod, flare dispenser and corrected pylons for adding four drop tanks.

Image

The flare dispensers add on the end of the air intakes on the side of the engine, so there is a little bit of cutting required using a PE saw.

Image

Image

Image

Overall the fit of the kit is really good except for the gun bay covers (or the covers where the gun bays normally go) and the engine intakes that need a bit of filler and a lot of sanding.

Image

The flaps need a leading edge as well as covering the gap on the inside. The side was covered using a 0.13 mm clear plastic (was the thinnest that I had). For the leading edge I rolled some Milliput roughly to shape and pushed into the flap. And then sanding it to shape.

Image

Image

Image

Not sure why Hasegawa molded the position lights into the wings as they are included as clear parts, so these needs to but cut out.

Image

Image

Finally there is a location hole on the bottom that needs to be filled. Made a template using Tamiya tape, transferred it to a thin sheet of plastic, glued it in and sanded it smooth.

Image

Image

Image

Now it's just a bit of clean up and rescribing a couple of panel lines and it should be ready for primer.
Last edited by JonMW on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
TommyKillander
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2776
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:59 pm
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Sweden

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 SAAB S35E Draken

Post by TommyKillander »

Great job and attention to details. :thumb2:

I got almost the same aftermarket for my S35E kit.

Keep up the good work!

:pop:
Tommy
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 SAAB S35E Draken

Post by JonMW »

Time for a small update. I've added some Tamiya putty thinned with cellulose thinner to just fill some small spots. Then all the panel lines that had been filled were rescribed, I was given a suggest from one of the guys at the LHS to not use a scribing tool and instead use a PE saw. The reason is that the normal scribing tools from the likes of Trumpeter and Tamiya has a v-sheped cutting edge, so the panel line gets a v-shape so it gets wider as you make it deeper. But using a PE saw the panel line should get a sharper edges and you can make deeper and still really thin panel lines. So I gave this a shot using a Tamiya PE saw and Tamiya tape for curves as a guide. I like the results and I also found it easier to do then using a normal scriber that I usually find really easy to slip with. However it did take a bit more time, but I can live with that.

Image

When all the scribing was done I masked all the cameras and the canopy, added some weight to the nose and primered it in black Stynylres to check that everything was fine. It needed a little bit of cleanup in before I could apply a couple of coats of Alclad black followed by Vallejo metal color aluminium to a couple of panels. These where then masked and the rest was painted in a mix of Vallejo metal color aluminium and dark aluminium. Then finally clear coated it in Alclad clear waiting for decals.

Image

Image

Image
Last edited by JonMW on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 SAAB S35E Draken

Post by JonMW »

Just a small update. Since the intakes for the engine are made from fiberglass they should be an odd green color. It's sort of sea weed looking. Actually when I was painting these I remembered one thing. A few years ago I was involved with a race team and we got a bunch of carbon fiber from SAAB that had expired. They couldn't use it for anything but we had use for it for making molds or small brackets for sensors or switches, nothing critical. You have to keep these kind of fibers cool and since we didn't have a proper transporter for it we just put it in the back of a car. And to help it stay cool SAAB added a few really old rolls just to add more cool mass. Now one of those rolls where a roll of fiberglass in this strange green color and it was even pretty much the right width for the intakes and the date on it was really old. So it just struck me that, that roll was probably from the Draken production. Now it doesn't have anything to do with this build but it was just something that crossed my mind.

I hand painted the intakes in a green and then dry brushed a lighter green and a yellow green going left to right to add the look of the fibers.

Image

Now for the decals, the kit ones are pretty good. They are just a tad too big but I don't thing you would notice it. The colors are not too bad, the blue is a bit too dark and the yellow a bit too lemon. If I didn't have aftermarket decals I wouldn't go out and buy ones but since I have them I might as well use them.

Image
The kit ones are the ones on the right.

All of the 16 decals are on, pretty nice with a plane with few decals.

Image

Next up is a bit of detail painting in the wheel wells, then clear and weathering.
Last edited by JonMW on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
TommyKillander
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2776
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:59 pm
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Sweden

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 SAAB S35E Draken

Post by TommyKillander »

Wow!

Great job with the fibreglass air intakes - they look very realistic :thumb2:

I struggled a lot with them on my 1/72 Draken, so I know how difficult it is to get them look real :bash:

:cheers2:
Tommy
HIghAltitudeScale
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:51 am
United States of America

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 SAAB S35E Draken

Post by HIghAltitudeScale »

I have that Hasegawa kit, can't wait to see how yours turns out. So far its a very nice paint job. :cheers2:
Cheers,
Bret aka: High Altitude Scale Models
thetechcowboy.com
youtube-High Altitude Scale Modeling

Current build;
1/72 Airfix B-17G
1/48 Hobby Boss Bearcat
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 SAAB S35E Draken

Post by JonMW »

Thanks!

I'm starting to see the end of this. With a bit of luck I should have it done tomorrow, but now that I've written that it probably won't happen.

Now I managed to loose one of the pylons for the center drop tanks. So I borrowed one from another Draken kit to use as a master so I could make a resin copy.

Image

Also made some copies of the wheel from Eduards new limited edition as I still haven't received the Aires ones I ordered well over a month ago, good thing I choose to pay on delivery.

Image

The wheels where first sprayed Vallejo metal color aluminium, followed by brush painting the tire with black then finally some tire black where airbrushed on the tread.

Image

Added a coat of satin clear to the whole model.

Image

Image

Only things left now is the seat, a couple of lights and antennas.
Last edited by JonMW on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 SAAB S35E Draken

Post by JonMW »

Post Reply

Return to “Builds”