Ferrari 330 P4 24h Le Mans build

Post Reply
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Ferrari 330 P4 24h Le Mans build

Post by JonMW »

During this past weekend where the greatest race of the year, the Le Mans 24 hours. And what a race it was, that will be remembered to a while, both for the right and wrong reasons. I'm a big racing fanatic, anything from watching, working on race cars and driving and endurance racing is some thing I really love. So each year during the race I try to build a car that has competed at Le Mans as a bit of a challenge and it also gives me something to do and I find it easier to stay awake compared to just sitting staring on a bunch of screens. So this year I decided to build a Fujimi Ferrari 330 P4, it's a pretty simple kit with no engine and not too many parts. Biggest problem with this kit is that the decals isn't for a car that races at Le Mans, so I decided to paint the numbers instead of using decals. It's nice with these old race cars that don't have all the sponsor decals. The kit is not the best and there are some fit problems, like the front windscreen and the lower body panels. And as I did this in 24 hours I didn't have too much time to fix it completely. I added a little bit dirt when it was done to hide a couple of mistakes/shortcuts. Overall I'm pretty happy with the outcome and it was done in about 22 hours.

Image
Race day setup

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ferrari 330 P4 24h Le Mans build

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

I was thinking of you when I heard Porsche had taken LeMans this year
Glad to see you kept up your tradition. Ferrari looks great!
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Tajfl
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:37 pm
Location: Slovenia
Slovenia

Re: Ferrari 330 P4 24h Le Mans build

Post by Tajfl »

Great car and great race. :thumb1:
I was totally shocked at the end. I was 100% sure that Toyota will finally win, but then :crazy:
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Re: Ferrari 330 P4 24h Le Mans build

Post by JonMW »

Thanks!

I'm still not sure if I (as a (not proud*) Porsche owner) should be happy for Porsche or cry with Toyota. I have been in a similar situation (not in terms of prestige or media coverage), a few years ago during the biggest race of our season we had a similar thing happen. I had done my driving stint and handed over to the second driver, we where doing pretty good, a lot better then we had for the past couple of seasons. He came around and started the final lap, we where standing in the pit looking at a screen and saw the car jerk a couple of times and he just pulled over and stopped with a broken drive train with about half a lap to go. That was not fun, I've had cars crash on the first lap, blow the engine in the middle of the race, but coming that close in a good position and then something like that happens. You'r quite emotional since it's going well and then everything just crashes, that is just cruel.

*The car is a pig of a project and really far from working, that's why I'm not so proud. ;)
User avatar
Tajfl
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:37 pm
Location: Slovenia
Slovenia

Re: Ferrari 330 P4 24h Le Mans build

Post by Tajfl »

I was on a cry side :D
I'm not a true fan of any team but i hoped for years that they will succeed and end the Audi dominance (ok, Porsche did it, and that was satisfying) . So it was crying moment in last minutes. But that's the scenarios that spice up things, and for me make racing sports better than any movie, maybe next year Rebellion will win and that will be even better ;)

''The car is a pig of a project and really far from working, that's why I'm not so proud''
Once it will work, you will be proud :thumb1:
chalkyw
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:49 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Ferrari 330 P4 24h Le Mans build

Post by chalkyw »

Stunning build....it looks very realistic especially considering its a 24hr build :th:
Former Newbie seeking knowledge :hi:
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Re: Ferrari 330 P4 24h Le Mans build

Post by rodrant »

Nice to see that you kept your traditional build in Le Mans week-end :-)

Great Build ! And a surprising race at the end , really sad to see the Toyota team crying when their car stopped,can imagine their disappointment , good for Porsche this time

:cheers2:
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
User avatar
demarcation
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 960
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 11:34 pm
Location: Denmark
Denmark

Re: Ferrari 330 P4 24h Le Mans build

Post by demarcation »

Awesome work and a beautiful Ferrari! :clap: I attended Le Mans in 2003 when Bentley won. A very pleasant experience.
:cheers2:

//Anders
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: Ferrari 330 P4 24h Le Mans build

Post by Kevthemodeller »

Love these Le Mans cars, saw the real thing at Goodwood yesterday
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
OneSmallStep1966
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:37 pm
Location: Herne Bay, Kent (UK)
England

Re: Ferrari 330 P4 24h Le Mans build

Post by OneSmallStep1966 »

That looks great, well done.
Post Reply

Return to “Land Gallery”