Tamiya panel line accent help.

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
Lozzer1986
New Recruit
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:37 pm
England

Tamiya panel line accent help.

Post by Lozzer1986 »

Hi every one.

I've recently come back to the hobby after many years.

I've been watching quite a few videos on how to do things and thought I followed how to use tamiya panel liner properly.

I used it today for the first time and I ended up pulling the paint right off on the cotton bud.

I'm using vallejo model air paint and then I have applied a coat of humbrol glear gloss. After that I applied Tamiya panel line accent and then used a cotton bud with Tamiya thiners to tidy it all up.

Have I done or used something wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks all.
User avatar
Nev
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:22 am
Location: Kent
Great Britain

Re: Tamiya panel line accent help.

Post by Nev »

Tamiya thinners are quite hot. I’d use a low solvent odourless like AK or Mig weathering thinner. Also hear nightmare stories about Humbrol varnishes. I Use Alclad Aqua gloss, and never had an issue.
On the Bench...
1/35 TAKOM Mark. IV Heavy Battle tank
Lozzer1986
New Recruit
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:37 pm
England

Re: Tamiya panel line accent help.

Post by Lozzer1986 »

Thanks Nev.

Apologies for the stupid questions, there will be plenty more 😂.

When you say horror stories about humbrol.

What do you mean. Is the varnish no good?
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Tamiya panel line accent help.

Post by Paul »

You need to use a mineral spirit like sansodor from Winsor newton
User avatar
Nev
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:22 am
Location: Kent
Great Britain

Re: Tamiya panel line accent help.

Post by Nev »

Lozzer1986 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:21 pm Thanks Nev.

Apologies for the stupid questions, there will be plenty more 😂.

When you say horror stories about humbrol.

What do you mean. Is the varnish no good?
Just a lot of people have had problems with humbrol varnishes. I don’t know why but the lower power mineral spirits are the way forward. Like Paul suggests.
On the Bench...
1/35 TAKOM Mark. IV Heavy Battle tank
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Tamiya panel line accent help.

Post by MrBowcat »

If you have a Hobbycraft near you they sell Daler Rowney low odour thinners which work well and are cheap.

And yes, avoid Humbrol varnish. There are loads of other options, personally I use the Winsor & Newton Galeria varnishes which are relatively cheap and effective.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”