1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Cars, trucks and bikes
User avatar
barryf1fan
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Prev OK, now St. Cloud, FL
United States of America

1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by barryf1fan »

This may be a bit premature as I am still working on the Tamiya Ducati 1199 Panigale...

Wanted to go ahead and post up what I've decided will be next. [I'm pretty excited!!]

This is Newey and I believe DC at Silverstone, where Newey got to drive the RB6 and the CG901B, both his creations...
Image

1990 was the first year I remember watching, and following, Formula 1. I was 19 at the time and got married that year as well...
Don't remember a whole lot of that year, and have bits of memories watching it before then - but just can't recall a whole lot.
I will say that the late '80s & early '90s F1 cars are far and away my favorites, well before the crazy barge boards and winglets stuck about everywhere.
These cars were not only scary fast (like the Williams FW14 in '91 and the FW14B in '92) but just beautiful to look at. I do remember this car however, and remember it coming mid season (didn't remember when, turns out Rd 7) and that the struggling March F1 was renamed to this team.

So, after three 1/12 Tamiya bikes, and four GT/GR.C cars, really wanted to get stuck back in an F1. It's been about 23 years since the last one I built (the Tamiya F189 Ferrari of Mr. Gerhard Berger) and picked this kit up for about $28 off ebay. The kit itself is from 1991, so needless to say the decals, while not horrible or anything, have a bit of yellowing on the white portions. So this morning ordered replacement decals from Indycals.net, and also ordered a couple of sheets of the 1/24 CF from Scale Motorsports. Pretty much looking to build this kit oob bar adding some CF and maybe a wire or two, not sure yet as my skills still aren't great but will look to push myself to do this kit justice.

On to the contents:

Box was in cellophane, but opened and not sealed. :cry:

Image

Image

Instructions are typical Tamiya accordion fare for the time...

Image

Image

The Decals:

Image

You can see here how the white in the Italian flag is not really white anymore.

Image

And here, how the LEYTON HOUSE has yellowed a bit compared to the white decal that goes along the rear cowl/engine cover.

Image

Only three sprues in this one.
Sprue "A"

Image

Sprue "B"

Image

Sprue "C"

Image

I will say though, the color and finish on the plastic is really quality - you could almost get away with not painting it and just clear coating once the decals go on.

Image

Here's a few close-up box shots.

Image

Image

Image

Image

I'm really looking forward to this kit and build, looks as though it will test me to do it right. Another thing I forgot to mention is that the kit doesn't include seat belt decals, so am going to try and do the PE type for this one, with blue belts as (I'm pretty certain) that is what this car had.

Anyway, thanks for looking in. :cheers2:
Last edited by barryf1fan on Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars,
All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars.

On the Bench: Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3 x2 - Flying Lizard 2011 GT3 cars, #80 & #81
Up Next: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/5 F1
User avatar
Gary30
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by Gary30 »

I love this car / kit, very near the top of my wish list, I’m watching with envy!

But just a small point, that isn’t Adrian Newey standing next to the car, I think that’s Ivan Capelli, one of the drivers....they had style back then!

PS Indycals decals are great, I have a couple of sets in the post myself and I used them on my Tyrrell six wheeler build, they don’t have pre cut carrier film though, so just take your time cutting them out and they go down beautifully.
Portfolio
Click here
User avatar
barryf1fan
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Prev OK, now St. Cloud, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by barryf1fan »

Gary30 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:04 pm I love this car / kit, very near the top of my wish list, I’m watching with envy!

But just a small point, that isn’t Adrian Newey standing next to the car, I think that’s Ivan Capelli, one of the drivers....they had style back then!

PS Indycals decals are great, I have a couple of sets in the post myself and I used them on my Tyrrell six wheeler build, they don’t have pre cut carrier film though, so just take your time cutting them out and they go down beautifully.

:lol: :lol: You are right, the pic caption said it was bit I even thought, "that doesn't really look like Newey... but it was 30 years ago." :doh: :doh:
I'll have to try and find one with the bald guy!! :lol:

And yes, I watched ebay for probably well over a year before this one popped up with a Buy it Now of $25 !! :wtf:
JUMPED ON IT!!
All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars,
All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars.

On the Bench: Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3 x2 - Flying Lizard 2011 GT3 cars, #80 & #81
Up Next: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/5 F1
Hawkmoon
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2121
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:19 pm
England

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by Hawkmoon »

:th: :thumb2: Nice kit and have fun with the build :thumb2: :th:
User avatar
Gary30
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by Gary30 »

:lol: This is him in the Leyton House colours

Image

:thumb1:
Portfolio
Click here
User avatar
jchrisf
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 2:43 pm
Location: Melbourne, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by jchrisf »

Awesome Barry... You're my kind of builder :)
Chris

Previous Build: Revell Joey Saldana Sprint Car

Current Build: Monogram Frank Iaconio Chevy Camero Pro-Stock

Next Build: ?
User avatar
ryan81
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:42 am
Location: Wellington, NZ
New Zealand

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by ryan81 »

Will be following this for sure! It's about a decade earlier than my favourite cars as I was a big fan of the early 2000s F1, being born in '94, but I agree that the cars looked cooler before rather than after 2000.

Jealous you managed to find your dream kit, I'm really struggling to find any of the era cars that I've been after since starting this hobby
On the bench:
Tamiya Ferrari F189 1/20
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Dammmnit!!!!!
Love this car. It is the only kit I dont have on my F1 collection
I saw it at a swap meet $50 and thought oh I will get it this afternoon....nope GONZO. Still stings
Good luck with your build and will follow along
:pop:

My F1 Tamiya hoard is 20 kits strong...just no Leyton House :cry:
minus 10 points from Oklahoma
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
barryf1fan
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Prev OK, now St. Cloud, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by barryf1fan »

Twokidsnosleep wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:48 pm Dammmnit!!!!!
Love this car. It is the only kit I dont have on my F1 collection
I saw it at a swap meet $50 and thought oh I will get it this afternoon....nope GONZO. Still stings
Good luck with your build and will follow along
:pop:

My F1 Tamiya hoard is 20 kits strong...just no Leyton House :cry:
minus 10 points from Oklahoma
Dang it! :wall: As soon as we get on the board, we're back down to 0. :lol:

Image
All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars,
All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars.

On the Bench: Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3 x2 - Flying Lizard 2011 GT3 cars, #80 & #81
Up Next: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/5 F1
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

barryf1fan wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:51 pm
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:48 pm Dammmnit!!!!!
Love this car. It is the only kit I dont have on my F1 collection
I saw it at a swap meet $50 and thought oh I will get it this afternoon....nope GONZO. Still stings
Good luck with your build and will follow along
:pop:

My F1 Tamiya hoard is 20 kits strong...just no Leyton House :cry:
minus 10 points from Oklahoma
Dang it! :wall: As soon as we get on the board, we're back down to 0. :lol:

Image
Ok you made me laugh, 5 points back up
:lol:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
barryf1fan
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Prev OK, now St. Cloud, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by barryf1fan »

Not a ton done, but it's a start - meager as it is.
Plus were going out of town tomorrow and won't be back til Monday night... so.

Clipped it up, decanted some paint (for this kit and the next two!! :whistle: )
Cleaned up the engine, suspension and got the exhaust glued and cleaned up.
Also filled in the injector pin marks in the chassis.
The exhaust had tons of flash and did not fit that great. Filled the two pieces
with CA glue and sanded all the seams. Got parts ready for primer when we get back.
I am so excited to be doing an F1 again!!

[quick pic of my fav!! just done'er last October, and took me over 3 weeks to rattle can the body. :lol: :lol: ]

Image

Anyway, on to the unexciting pics (even though I had a blast working on this F1!

Image

Image

What are these two on the left... ?? :think: :think:

Image

Image

Major flash and MIND THE GAP!

Image

Filled gap in with CA, so it still looks there but it's great now. Getting better at some of this stuff.

Image


Thanks for looking guys and looking forward to getting back, and we haven't even left! :roll: :lol:
All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars,
All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars.

On the Bench: Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3 x2 - Flying Lizard 2011 GT3 cars, #80 & #81
Up Next: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/5 F1
Hawkmoon
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2121
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:19 pm
England

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by Hawkmoon »

:th: Nice start Barry :thumb2:
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by Kevthemodeller »

Looking forward to this one Barry :th: :cheers2:
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
User avatar
Bdiddy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:21 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Australia

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by Bdiddy »

Awesome Barry, it has to be one of my all time favourite F1 cars aswell. Can't wait to see it progress
Jesse

Current build: 1/24 Aoshima McLaren F1 GTR Longtail

Next build: :scratch::
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Mind the gap :lol: :tongue:

Some gorgeous models you show up there
Very cool to see you decanting the sprays, really my favourite way to airbrush now; Decanted TS even better than the LP line IMHO
Proceeding very nicely indeed :banana:
:pop:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
jchrisf
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 2:43 pm
Location: Melbourne, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by jchrisf »

Wow.. nice job on the other kits. They all look great! I love them all and need to build them myself. What bottles do you use for your decanted paint? How much paint can you get out of a can of Tamiya?
Image
Chris

Previous Build: Revell Joey Saldana Sprint Car

Current Build: Monogram Frank Iaconio Chevy Camero Pro-Stock

Next Build: ?
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

jchrisf wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:16 pm Wow.. nice job on the other kits. They all look great! I love them all and need to build them myself. What bottles do you use for your decanted paint? How much paint can you get out of a can of Tamiya?
Image
There is 100ml net volume in those little cans, so some of that is propellant
A Tamiya bottle is 10 ml total and you dilute it 1:1
So even if there is only 50 ml of paint, it is 5x a normal Tamiya bottle
I haven’t been doing it long enough to run out a can yet...as I use different TS paint, not the same one over and over
Lucky as my LHS stocks three different sizes of new glass Tamiya bottles, so I grab a couple every time I go.
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
jchrisf
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 2:43 pm
Location: Melbourne, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by jchrisf »

Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:53 am
jchrisf wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:16 pm Wow.. nice job on the other kits. They all look great! I love them all and need to build them myself. What bottles do you use for your decanted paint? How much paint can you get out of a can of Tamiya?
Image
There is 100ml net volume in those little cans, so some of that is propellant
A Tamiya bottle is 10 ml total and you dilute it 1:1
So even if there is only 50 ml of paint, it is 5x a normal Tamiya bottle
I haven’t been doing it long enough to run out a can yet...as I use different TS paint, not the same one over and over
Lucky as my LHS stocks three different sizes of new glass Tamiya bottles, so I grab a couple every time I go.
So are you saying you dilute the decanted Tamiya Spray Can paint 1:1? I have decanted a whole can one time and I got 1.8 oz out of it.. was really disappointed as I thought there would be 3.
Image
Chris

Previous Build: Revell Joey Saldana Sprint Car

Current Build: Monogram Frank Iaconio Chevy Camero Pro-Stock

Next Build: ?
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

jchrisf wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:24 pm
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:53 am
jchrisf wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:16 pm Wow.. nice job on the other kits. They all look great! I love them all and need to build them myself. What bottles do you use for your decanted paint? How much paint can you get out of a can of Tamiya?
Image
There is 100ml net volume in those little cans, so some of that is propellant
A Tamiya bottle is 10 ml total and you dilute it 1:1
So even if there is only 50 ml of paint, it is 5x a normal Tamiya bottle
I haven’t been doing it long enough to run out a can yet...as I use different TS paint, not the same one over and over
Lucky as my LHS stocks three different sizes of new glass Tamiya bottles, so I grab a couple every time I go.
So are you saying you dilute the decanted Tamiya Spray Can paint 1:1? I have decanted a whole can one time and I got 1.8 oz out of it.. was really disappointed as I thought there would be 3.
Image
No, I said I dilute my Tamiya jar paint 1:1
I said it has 100ml volume in the TS can but some will be propellant volume
I also said I haven’t drained a full can of TS yet as I have not needed to

You got 53 ml out of a spray can and are disappointed??? That is five Tamiya jars worth of better paint
:think: :scratch:: you knew the answer to your question already
Image
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
jchrisf
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 2:43 pm
Location: Melbourne, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by jchrisf »

Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:47 pm
jchrisf wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:24 pm
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:53 am

There is 100ml net volume in those little cans, so some of that is propellant
A Tamiya bottle is 10 ml total and you dilute it 1:1
So even if there is only 50 ml of paint, it is 5x a normal Tamiya bottle
I haven’t been doing it long enough to run out a can yet...as I use different TS paint, not the same one over and over
Lucky as my LHS stocks three different sizes of new glass Tamiya bottles, so I grab a couple every time I go.
So are you saying you dilute the decanted Tamiya Spray Can paint 1:1? I have decanted a whole can one time and I got 1.8 oz out of it.. was really disappointed as I thought there would be 3.
Image
No, I said I dilute my Tamiya jar paint 1:1
I said it has 100ml volume in the TS can but some will be propellant volume
I also said I haven’t drained a full can of TS yet as I have not needed to

You got 53 ml out of a spray can and are disappointed??? That is five Tamiya jars worth of better paint
:think: :scratch:: you knew the answer to your question already
Image
LOL
Image
Chris

Previous Build: Revell Joey Saldana Sprint Car

Current Build: Monogram Frank Iaconio Chevy Camero Pro-Stock

Next Build: ?
User avatar
barryf1fan
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Prev OK, now St. Cloud, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by barryf1fan »

jchrisf wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:24 pm
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:53 am
jchrisf wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:16 pm Wow.. nice job on the other kits. They all look great! I love them all and need to build them myself. What bottles do you use for your decanted paint? How much paint can you get out of a can of Tamiya?
Image
There is 100ml net volume in those little cans, so some of that is propellant
A Tamiya bottle is 10 ml total and you dilute it 1:1
So even if there is only 50 ml of paint, it is 5x a normal Tamiya bottle
I haven’t been doing it long enough to run out a can yet...as I use different TS paint, not the same one over and over
Lucky as my LHS stocks three different sizes of new glass Tamiya bottles, so I grab a couple every time I go.
So are you saying you dilute the decanted Tamiya Spray Can paint 1:1? I have decanted a whole can one time and I got 1.8 oz out of it.. was really disappointed as I thought there would be 3.
Image
hey Chris, been out of town since Thursday night. I'll try and answer ya a bit differently, that Scott starts throwin' numbers around like were all mathematicians or eng'a'neers. :lol:

That TS-40, Metallic Black, I have there. It's the second time I've decanted that color and I have just over half the bottle filled up there. I usually try and get it pretty full, but as you're spraying from the can, it gasses up and you can't fill it all the way up (you can see in the pics I bubbled one or two over...). So, you can see that there is plenty of paint in there, how much cheaper is it than the little Acryllic pots, I dunno. :scratch:: I still have a little left in the can too, so I could decant more, and will, next time I need it.

But like Scott said, the paint is so much better that I would pay more just to use it over the acrylics. Don't hate the acrylics, as I've gotten used to using them (we're supposed to get the LP line by the end of the summer - if you look on Tamiys USA site they all say coming soon :clap: ), and can actually get a decent finish with a few of them. Overall though, the TS sprays are awesome - you can spray them on pretty heavy and they look great.

Anyhoo, doubt that helped, but I like hearing myself type. :lol: :lol:
All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars,
All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars.

On the Bench: Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3 x2 - Flying Lizard 2011 GT3 cars, #80 & #81
Up Next: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/5 F1
User avatar
jchrisf
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 2:43 pm
Location: Melbourne, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by jchrisf »

ImageLOL..
Chris

Previous Build: Revell Joey Saldana Sprint Car

Current Build: Monogram Frank Iaconio Chevy Camero Pro-Stock

Next Build: ?
User avatar
barryf1fan
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Prev OK, now St. Cloud, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by barryf1fan »

We got back a bit early in the day from our "weekend away" so was able to mess with the F1 a bit.
Had a race last night at Watkins Glen in our GT4 series. Second race and was pretty nervous, but finished 25th and was still on the lead lap (last week
at Brands Hatch I finished the race but was two laps down :lol: ), I need to practice more but having fun.
It's a broadcast race on Global SimRacing Channel.
Skip to 5:00 for start of broadcast. @14:20 I'm in P19 (J Cochrane) for qualifying... end quali in P26. :lol: :lol:



On to a little progress...

Got some spider legs painted up.

Image

And started on the engine bits, not done but a start. Painted the suspension and pipes in X-18 Semi-Gloss black
and the rest of the engine is done in TS-40 Metallic Black. Then shot some Alclad metal colors on some bits. ;)

Image

Image

Image

Image

Need to find some more reference pics of the Leyton House and print them off (just haven't done it yet... have a few saved on the PC).
There aren't a ton of pics of the real car out there. Not like other cars anyway.

Hope to have some more done in the next day or two. Thanks for looking in! :thumb1:
All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars,
All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars.

On the Bench: Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3 x2 - Flying Lizard 2011 GT3 cars, #80 & #81
Up Next: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/5 F1
User avatar
barryf1fan
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Prev OK, now St. Cloud, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by barryf1fan »

jchrisf wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:22 pm ImageLOL..
I was just trying to "show you" how much paint you got... I don't pay attention to the sizes in terms of numbers and such.
Kinda like people and how much gas is - doesn't matter how much it is, I need gas in the car to get to work, so I'm getting some. :lol: :lol:

Noticed in your sig that you have the Revell Joey Saldana sprint car... ?? We should do a group build as I picked one up about a month ago too.
Looks so cool!!
All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars,
All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars.

On the Bench: Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3 x2 - Flying Lizard 2011 GT3 cars, #80 & #81
Up Next: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/5 F1
User avatar
jchrisf
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 2:43 pm
Location: Melbourne, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by jchrisf »

barryf1fan wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:39 pm
jchrisf wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:22 pm ImageLOL..
I was just trying to "show you" how much paint you got... I don't pay attention to the sizes in terms of numbers and such.
Kinda like people and how much gas is - doesn't matter how much it is, I need gas in the car to get to work, so I'm getting some. :lol: :lol:

Noticed in your sig that you have the Revell Joey Saldana sprint car... ?? We should do a group build as I picked one up about a month ago too.
Looks so cool!!
I was just being funny.. you never did say what bottle you use :tongue:

Very cool on the progress and the racing!

Yeah, at least here in the US the Joey Saldana car is cheap. I got mine for $18.. two actually. If I really like it I think I'll pick up some more. I think Sprint cars look cool.
Chris

Previous Build: Revell Joey Saldana Sprint Car

Current Build: Monogram Frank Iaconio Chevy Camero Pro-Stock

Next Build: ?
User avatar
barryf1fan
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Prev OK, now St. Cloud, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by barryf1fan »

jchrisf wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:43 pm I was just being funny.. you never did say what bottle you use :tongue:

Very cool on the progress and the racing!

Yeah, at least here in the US the Joey Saldana car is cheap. I got mine for $18.. two actually. If I really like it I think I'll pick up some more. I think Sprint cars look cool.
I didn't take offense... I know you were - you and I are like kings of the gif!!! :lol: :lol:

They are the Testors 1/2 ounce bottles. :thumb2: (sorry 'bout that :oops: )
My LHS doesn't carry the bigger ones, although he has told me, twice, that he would order some.
Hasn't. :roll:
All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars,
All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars.

On the Bench: Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3 x2 - Flying Lizard 2011 GT3 cars, #80 & #81
Up Next: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/5 F1
User avatar
barryf1fan
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Prev OK, now St. Cloud, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by barryf1fan »

Just about done with the engine/rear portion part of the car.
Tried the Micro Mask for the first time and the stuff works great. :thumb1:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

A lot of pics, I know, and for some reason the exhaust looks way better in person than my cell phone can capture. They are looking pretty good. Going to try and finish up the "back" of the car and then start on the chassis and body... there are a couple of points on the body that don't fit too good. :lol:
Like the head rest that goes under the air intake on the rear cowling fits terribly. Gonna need some putty and sanding. Glad I didn't build this kit a few months ago as I wouldn't have the cojones to try and fix it properly. :mrgreen:

Also gonna try and do some carbon fiber work on the chassis as I found a couple of pics that shows the floor of the chassis pretty good. :thumb2:

Thanks for looking!!
All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars,
All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars.

On the Bench: Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3 x2 - Flying Lizard 2011 GT3 cars, #80 & #81
Up Next: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/5 F1
User avatar
Gary30
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by Gary30 »

Looks ace Barry! Nice to see you going to town on it, and the CF work will pay dividends.

Interested in the liquid mask, never used anything like that before, been toying with the idea, thought it would be a gooey mess and a pain to work with, but it sounds like that's not the case?
Portfolio
Click here
User avatar
Bdiddy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:21 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Australia

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by Bdiddy »

looking great Barry!
Jesse

Current build: 1/24 Aoshima McLaren F1 GTR Longtail

Next build: :scratch::
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by LWWales »

Gary30 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:49 am Looks ace Barry! Nice to see you going to town on it, and the CF work will pay dividends.

Interested in the liquid mask, never used anything like that before, been toying with the idea, thought it would be a gooey mess and a pain to work with, but it sounds like that's not the case?
I have some here and I used it. It seems like a waxy sustance with a liquid carrier, it goes on quite well with a brush and if you're accurate, you can get some clean lines. It does really run if you do it right so does seem like a good option!

Also, the build is looking good, mate!
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
barryf1fan
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Prev OK, now St. Cloud, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by barryf1fan »

Gary30 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:49 am Looks ace Barry! Nice to see you going to town on it, and the CF work will pay dividends.

Interested in the liquid mask, never used anything like that before, been toying with the idea, thought it would be a gooey mess and a pain to work with, but it sounds like that's not the case?
Thanks guys for the comments! Enjoying this one quite a bit - even though it has a couple of issues, it's still a Tamiya, it's just a couple of areas that are going to need attention. I'll try and remember to document and take pics along the way.

The liquid mask worked great, Gary, I was surprised how well, really. Fourth pic down the fuel rail (middle top part) was painted a bronze (and sorry, the pic sucks...) and I used the liquid mask on the part that is still black. I used my X-Acto knife blade, my "pointy" tweezers, and masking tape to get the liquid mask off. Not sure how long it takes to "actually" dry as I did it before I went to bed and painted it the next evening after work.

Also used on the engine block (third pic down) where the chrome is on the side - where the exhaust manifolds, and starter, etc., are located - stuff worked like a charm.

It says on the side of the bottle that you can brush it on thick and use an x-acto to cut lines to do fine details. I was careful with the knife blade and it doesn't scratch the paint below it - as long as you're careful. The stubborn, or tight, tiny places, I used the Tamiya masking tape to remove - just pressed it on and "ripped" it off. :thumb2:

I'll be using this stuff frequently now, and feel it would be great to do the window "rubbers" on car bodies. I was able to mask with tape right on the edge of the liquid mask - and as long as you don't pull it up and reposition the tape it won't pull up the liquid mask.

Have a great day and weekend guys!!
All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars,
All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars.

On the Bench: Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3 x2 - Flying Lizard 2011 GT3 cars, #80 & #81
Up Next: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/5 F1
User avatar
jchrisf
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 2:43 pm
Location: Melbourne, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by jchrisf »

Looking good Barry.
Image

I've had good luck using Elmers White Glue as a liquid mask. I'll have to try some of this "real" stuff someday.
Chris

Previous Build: Revell Joey Saldana Sprint Car

Current Build: Monogram Frank Iaconio Chevy Camero Pro-Stock

Next Build: ?
User avatar
jchrisf
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 2:43 pm
Location: Melbourne, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by jchrisf »

Barry.. I like your Up Next selection... I have both but don't feel ready for the bike yet.
Image
Chris

Previous Build: Revell Joey Saldana Sprint Car

Current Build: Monogram Frank Iaconio Chevy Camero Pro-Stock

Next Build: ?
User avatar
barryf1fan
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Prev OK, now St. Cloud, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by barryf1fan »

Little update to the Leyton House F1 - hadn't had a lot of opportunity to work on it until a few days ago, but have managed to get a bit done. And not gonna lie, kinda lost my "mojo" when I started looking at the body because it just didn't fit right.

Started to dry fit pieces together, and this may be a Tamiya kit, and while not horrible, it certainly isn't like their later kits. Had to do quite a bit of filling with CA glue and/or white putty, but in the end came out fairly well.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Little teaser of the bodywork and some CF work starting (this is gonna take awhile, a LOT of little bits to do) and the engine done.

Image

Image

Image

Thanks for looking.
All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars,
All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars.

On the Bench: Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3 x2 - Flying Lizard 2011 GT3 cars, #80 & #81
Up Next: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/5 F1
User avatar
jchrisf
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 2:43 pm
Location: Melbourne, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by jchrisf »

Looking good Barry.. Looks like this one has needed a little extra work.
Chris

Previous Build: Revell Joey Saldana Sprint Car

Current Build: Monogram Frank Iaconio Chevy Camero Pro-Stock

Next Build: ?
User avatar
Bdiddy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:21 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Australia

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by Bdiddy »

Great job so far Baz, some of those joints look like a nightmare but you'll have it looking sweet in no time
Jesse

Current build: 1/24 Aoshima McLaren F1 GTR Longtail

Next build: :scratch::
BigWall
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by BigWall »

A little filler and you'll have it down. Great work!
Joe

Image
User avatar
Gary30
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by Gary30 »

Mojo huh, what a mysterious and often elusive creature she is!

It's all looking good Barry, the satisfaction will be worth all the hard work in the end, stick at it.
Portfolio
Click here
User avatar
barryf1fan
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Prev OK, now St. Cloud, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by barryf1fan »

Thanks guys!! It's coming along - usually just slow down in the summer because of outside chores and such.
Plus, for me anyway, I built several models in the first 4-5 months of 2020 and just hit a bit of a wall with this one..
Gary30 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:18 am Mojo huh, what a mysterious and often elusive creature she is!

It's all looking good Barry, the satisfaction will be worth all the hard work in the end, stick at it.
Yeah, it's funny, when I first joined this site I noticed several posts where someone mentioned their "mojo" and "where" they were at with it. I didn't really get it, as I thought, "well if you don't feel like doing a model, don't"... but it's more of a "what" you are working on, sometimes you just need to work on something different. I really had to push myself to finish the BBB of the Ducati 1199 Panigale... had just finished a MotoGP bike and really didn't want to do another one.

I fully understand now what you guys were talking about "mojo" with that kit. :lol: :lol:

Thanks for checking out the F1. :thumb2:
All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars,
All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars.

On the Bench: Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3 x2 - Flying Lizard 2011 GT3 cars, #80 & #81
Up Next: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/5 F1
User avatar
barryf1fan
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Prev OK, now St. Cloud, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by barryf1fan »

Hope everyone is doing well!! Washing their hands and "whatnot"! :nena:

Have made a little progress on the Leyton House F1 the last couple of days... but will be busy over the weekend so wanted to show what's been done. Still a long way to go on her, though.
Got the rest of the pieces primed and painted and made a start on the cockpit.
The front suspension is done, as are the brakes.
Got the air intake CF'd, did it up with the SCM basket weave kevlar sheet. Wasn't about to spend $30-$50+ for the Studio 27 CF sheet - wanted to, but just couldn't justify it. :hand:
Only paid $28 for the kit, and had to get replacement decals already. . .

Anyway, on to the shots:

Image

Image

Image

You can see a bit more of the Coral Blue that goes on this car - beautiful color, really, and sprayed the decanted stuff. Came out great, that shine is with no clear coat yet. :thumb2:
Anyway, now have a lot of carbon fiber decaling to do:
Chassis, front wings, and rear wings.
Along with the body decals.

Have a great weekend y'all. :cheers2:
All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars,
All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars.

On the Bench: Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3 x2 - Flying Lizard 2011 GT3 cars, #80 & #81
Up Next: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/5 F1
User avatar
Mpfiend
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:56 am
Location: Sussex
England

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by Mpfiend »

Nice work Barry.
Regards,
Keith
User avatar
jchrisf
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 2:43 pm
Location: Melbourne, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by jchrisf »

That looks great Barry.. that paint job is perfect!
Image
Chris

Previous Build: Revell Joey Saldana Sprint Car

Current Build: Monogram Frank Iaconio Chevy Camero Pro-Stock

Next Build: ?
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Fantastic looking paint :jd:
Really surprised at those huge seams you had to fill
Was something in the bodywork warped? :think:
Good job on filling the canyons :shock:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
barryf1fan
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Prev OK, now St. Cloud, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by barryf1fan »

Twokidsnosleep wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:13 pm Fantastic looking paint :jd:
Really surprised at those huge seams you had to fill
Was something in the bodywork warped? :think:
Good job on filling the canyons :shock:
Thanks Scott. :cheers2:

There wasn't anything wrong with the body... but all the other builds I've seen on this car, before and since starting this one, had to do similar filling.
There are injector pin marks on a lot of the pieces - you can see in the pic of the rear wing side plates that I missed some (missed a lot of them really).

Need to take more time with body prep, but I'm always just raring to go once I open that box! :roll: :lol:
All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars,
All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars.

On the Bench: Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3 x2 - Flying Lizard 2011 GT3 cars, #80 & #81
Up Next: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/5 F1
User avatar
jchrisf
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 2:43 pm
Location: Melbourne, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by jchrisf »

ONe thing I have noticed with Tamiya putty is it shrinks over time.. not good. I need to find another putty.
Chris

Previous Build: Revell Joey Saldana Sprint Car

Current Build: Monogram Frank Iaconio Chevy Camero Pro-Stock

Next Build: ?
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by LWWales »

Loving this one mate. Makes me want to build an F1 car!
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
barryf1fan
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Prev OK, now St. Cloud, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by barryf1fan »

Some work done - lot of lounging around this weekend too, it's just so hot.
Got some decals slapped on though. . . Front wing and a few body decals.

Painted wings Metallic Black and was going to leave them like this, but decided I wanted the CF look. :roll:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Fairly productive weekend. :thumb2:
Hope everyone is doing well! I'm great - MotoGP is back, baby!!

Image
All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars,
All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars.

On the Bench: Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3 x2 - Flying Lizard 2011 GT3 cars, #80 & #81
Up Next: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/5 F1
User avatar
jchrisf
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 2:43 pm
Location: Melbourne, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by jchrisf »

Image
Image
Image
Chris

Previous Build: Revell Joey Saldana Sprint Car

Current Build: Monogram Frank Iaconio Chevy Camero Pro-Stock

Next Build: ?
User avatar
Gary30
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by Gary30 »

Image
Portfolio
Click here
User avatar
Bdiddy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:21 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Australia

Re: 1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

Post by Bdiddy »

nice choice on the CF Baz, looking great
Jesse

Current build: 1/24 Aoshima McLaren F1 GTR Longtail

Next build: :scratch::
Post Reply

Return to “Road Vehicles”