Help! Please.

From mud covered tanks to grimy aircraft
Post Reply
User avatar
ForbesHutton
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 1956
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:10 am
Location: To,On,Ca
Scotland

Help! Please.

Post by ForbesHutton »

So I finished painting a Panther in a ambush camo.

This one's an experiment, due to low cost and I wanted to see if I could manage the ambush camo. I'm happy with it and still want to experiment on this one.

Image

Image

Image

(Sorry, only camera is on a Blackberry).

Anyways, what I'm hoping is someone will help me with a program of tinting/washing/weathering.

What I need is a break-down of what to use, when to use it and why. Name some products please. I'm having a hard time figuring out which products/techniques can be used together. There always seems to be information missing in the videos, etc, for example, there's plenty of great videos that cover some of what I need to know but then they don't mention what to use for the final seal, they either stop at the last weathering or they just say "then I sealed it"...with what?!

So if you have the time, what do I do, step by step, product by product?

All paint on it is Tamiya acrylic.



Btw - Gav0909, you've been warned about the size of the PZH.2000. Here a picture of the (soon to be) AS-90 hull and turret next to the PZH.2000 to give you an idea of the size. It really seems like it needs two hands to pick it up.

Image
Last edited by ForbesHutton on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Help! Please.

Post by Coen »

That panther look awesome Forbes!
You nailed that ambush pattern.
Well done.
I can understand wanting to make sure you get the weathering right. She's a beaut!!!
Before typing out an entire step by step Forbes...
I did a video series that involves weathering, I don't know if you've seen it?
It's on my channel under the Barkmann panther. If it's of no use to you I'm sure one of us would be happy to write down the steps we use to apply weathering.
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Help! Please.

Post by Paul »

Beautiful paintwork' you nailed that ambush pattern, follows Coens advice and you won't go wrong with the weathering :thumb2:
User avatar
ForbesHutton
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 1956
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:10 am
Location: To,On,Ca
Scotland

Re: Help! Please.

Post by ForbesHutton »

Thanks. This as it turns out was an happy accident. I had intended to make the "stripes" thinner but the blu-tack didn't want to stick without the greater surface area of wider patches. Looking at it now, the thinner patches would have looked bad when the dotting was added. Now I know so it will work well when I get around to the Stug I'm planning.

This one is really a test-bed. If I can get some nice weathering on it I'll fix the tracks with some aftermarket. The rubber band Tamiya tracks are so tight they're like slingshots, if you look hard you can see the drive wheels are pulled back and to the side.

Coen, love what you do, but some of your stuff is home-made/home-brewed. I what to stick with off-the-shelf products, it's one less thing for me to screw up (and the local fire department know requires 24 hours notice before I try and mix anything "chemical-y"). Any suggestions on ready made products that could be used in the place of your creations?
Image
User avatar
Wayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:08 am
Location: Maidstone, Kent, England

Re: Help! Please.

Post by Wayne »

@Coen Hi buddy.

Any chance you could tell what part number your video is in please. There must be 20 something parts to your mega build bud. Could take me weeks to find it lol

Thanks bud.
User avatar
Radzy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 750
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:57 pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: Help! Please.

Post by Radzy »

Hi,

I think it starts in episode 19 and continues for 2-3
Chipping first, then pin washes, filters and so on...

[youtube]nISc4jS8gU8[/youtube]

Great work Coen with this videos!

Regards,
Radek
WIP:
Tamiya 1:72 F4U-1 Corsair Birdcage
----------------------
My Portfolio
My YouTube Channel
User avatar
Wayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:08 am
Location: Maidstone, Kent, England

Re: Help! Please.

Post by Wayne »

Radzy wrote:Hi,

I think it starts in episode 19 and continues for 2-3
Chipping first, then pin washes, filters and so on...

[youtube]nISc4jS8gU8[/youtube]

Great work Coen with this videos!

Regards,
Radek
Awesome thanks for saving me so much time bud :D
User avatar
Radzy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 750
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:57 pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: Help! Please.

Post by Radzy »

Pitstop25 wrote: Awesome thanks for saving me so much time bud :D
No probs m8. I watched Coen's vids few days ago and somehow I just jumped into correct part :)
WIP:
Tamiya 1:72 F4U-1 Corsair Birdcage
----------------------
My Portfolio
My YouTube Channel
User avatar
Wayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:08 am
Location: Maidstone, Kent, England

Re: Help! Please.

Post by Wayne »

Sweet. Love it when stuff like that happens :D
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Help! Please.

Post by Coen »

Wow... I slept right through all that. Crap.
I had a mad house day today and I'm just sitting down now, then it's off to bed.
glad to see you've got it figured. I have to start labeling my vids better than I do. It would make thing easier on you fellas.
Sorry about that Pitstop.


And Forbes... I can't believe I hadn't answered your question.
The forum is getting so big now it's getting hard for me to keep up.
Some builds I haven't had any time to watch at all lately. Sigh.
I assume that you've figured things out for yourself by now... if not let me know eh?
User avatar
ForbesHutton
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 1956
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:10 am
Location: To,On,Ca
Scotland

Re: Help! Please.

Post by ForbesHutton »

Coen wrote:
And Forbes... I can't believe I hadn't answered your question.
The forum is getting so big now it's getting hard for me to keep up.
Some builds I haven't had any time to watch at all lately. Sigh.
I assume that you've figured things out for yourself by now... if not let me know eh?
I've been distracted myself. BTW - how much PE did you use on the deck? :tongue:

I'm going to try tea as a wash and weather with the Tamiya make-up kits. It seems no-one has tried tea or coffee as a wash.
Image
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Help! Please.

Post by Coen »

Oh they have, it works on some finishes. Best on acrylics for some reason. I've never tried that one , but I know some old school ship modellers that use coffee and tea and it seems to work... Sorta.
Da Mad Modeler uses makeup kits. He says that the colours are better.

And I used 9kgs of PE on the deck. They call them screws, nails, and joist hangers for some reason.
Haha
Post Reply

Return to “Weathering”