Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Ok here we go
Image

I spent my Saturday morning getting this little unit out of her crypt and getting her motor attached and running

Image

Image

I put her on a rolling cart for now and clamped the base down. I have seen other do lots of mods for a proper base, chip guards and such. But we are just starting here

Image
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and use

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

This is the motor run test up to about half maybe 3/4 speed. Checking that the belt guards are not rubbing and that the motor is smooth



Yep✅ Seems good

Please note:
There are no tools near the chuck and no stock in it
My hands, rings, arms, hair, tattoos, teeth and tongue are not near the spinning three jaw chuck
I have not attempted to load in any metal or try any tooling as I have no idea how to set that up just yet
If you don’t think I will be careful with this thing, you don’t know me at all.
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and use

Post by digger303 »

Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:12 pm This is the motor run test up to about half maybe 3/4 speed. Checking that the belt guards are not rubbing and that the motor is smooth



Yep✅ Seems good

Please note:
There are no tools near the chuck and no stock in it
My hands, rings, arms, hair, tattoos, teeth and tongue are not near the spinning three jaw chuck
I have not attempted to load in any metal or try any tooling as I have no idea how to set that up just yet
If you don’t think I will be careful with this thing, you don’t know me at all.
Has a nice hum to it almost like it wants to run faster.
One suggestion when you bolt the motor on did you check to see if the belt is running true and isn't running to one side on both pulleys. That will cause premature wear on the belt and pulleys.
Have fun :D
:cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Ok first some success
I told my wife, sarcastically, that I was getting a lathe to sharpen pencils.
So…
Image

Image
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and use

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

digger303 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:17 am
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:12 pm This is the motor run test up to about half maybe 3/4 speed. Checking that the belt guards are not rubbing and that the motor is smooth



Yep✅ Seems good

Please note:
There are no tools near the chuck and no stock in it
My hands, rings, arms, hair, tattoos, teeth and tongue are not near the spinning three jaw chuck
I have not attempted to load in any metal or try any tooling as I have no idea how to set that up just yet
If you don’t think I will be careful with this thing, you don’t know me at all.
Has a nice hum to it almost like it wants to run faster.
One suggestion when you bolt the motor on did you check to see if the belt is running true and isn't running to one side on both pulleys. That will cause premature wear on the belt and pulleys.
Have fun :D
:cheers2:
The belts fit quite perfectly into their grooves
She is running quite sweet and true
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Ok now some problems
I removed a packing wedge that was stopping the cross table from seating
Nope was not packing, it was done to stop this from happening


Ok no worries, i will just reattach that wedge and all good.
Nope, the wedge’s set screw mangled it’s threads and is stuck…..cue the swearing 😡
Now I have to re-thread the aluminum table there
Image
Image
And re-dress the bolt’s threads and smooth it’s jagged tip that pooched the threads in the first place
Image
Image

Here is the wedge back in place and the set screw tightened with its wrench still on
Image

I had to take the wood base off and pivot the lathe upside down to get to the frozen screw.
I knocked the little table onto the garage floor TWICE doing this…cue even more swearing🤬
Now I have it together but the wedge is too tight and doesn’t let the table slide smooth.
I had to stop and will try some adjustments tomorrow🙄
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

Post by digger303 »

I'm sure you will figure it out and have it running sweet soon.
:cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
KBF
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:01 pm
Norway

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

Post by KBF »

Oh, I want one too!! Looks like a nice pice of machinery even with your challenges with it.
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

KBF wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:14 am Oh, I want one too!! Looks like a nice pice of machinery even with your challenges with it.
It is a nice little tool
The challenges are all self imposed
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

digger303 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:58 am I'm sure you will figure it out and have it running sweet soon.
:cheers2:
Yep
Watched lots of videos and did some reading and am raring to get out there and sort her adjustments
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

Post by digger303 »

Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:20 pm
digger303 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:58 am I'm sure you will figure it out and have it running sweet soon.
:cheers2:
Yep
Watched lots of videos and did some reading and am raring to get out there and sort her adjustments
I couldn't work it out, but the area with the large metal dovetails. On the mating piece there is a separate long thin piece which is adjustable so that it slides back and forth without any side slop. It is where you had a problem with that screw. What is that material...metal or plastic ?
:cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
RangerNeil
Major
Major
Posts: 4745
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm
Location: Dagenham
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

Post by RangerNeil »

Nice - very nice - little tool. I am jealous :)
Is the speed variable? In the video it seems a direct belt drive....
    Neil (yet another one...)

    On the board now:

    Airfix 1/35 Alvis Stalwart Mk2 FV622
    Hasegawa 1/48 A8 Crusader

    Scalemates stash info
    =58417&fkSTASHSTATUS[]=58417-Stash&page=stash]Scalemates Stash manager
    User avatar
    digger303
    General
    General
    Posts: 16667
    Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
    Location: Western Australia
    Australia

    Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

    Post by digger303 »

    RangerNeil wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:04 pm Nice - very nice - little tool. I am jealous :)
    Is the speed variable? In the video it seems a direct belt drive....
    Some of them are speed controlled electronically.
    Listen and appear wise
    Image
    Image

    scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
    Image
    User avatar
    Twokidsnosleep
    General
    General
    Posts: 18481
    Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
    Location: BC,Canada
    Canada

    Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

    Post by Twokidsnosleep »

    RangerNeil wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:04 pm Nice - very nice - little tool. I am jealous :)
    Is the speed variable? In the video it seems a direct belt drive....
    Yes variable speed by dial on the top
    Scott

    On, Under or near the desk
    Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
    User avatar
    RangerNeil
    Major
    Major
    Posts: 4745
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm
    Location: Dagenham
    Contact:
    Great Britain

    Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

    Post by RangerNeil »

    Twokidsnosleep wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:00 pm
    RangerNeil wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:04 pm Nice - very nice - little tool. I am jealous :)
    Is the speed variable? In the video it seems a direct belt drive....
    Yes variable speed by dial on the top
    Cheers :) My experience with lathes was years - decades - ago on Colchester 12" swing centres. Three levers on the front panel controlled speed and you had to calculate the gears & change them in order to cut screw threads. Had a near miss when a mate left the chuck key in a 4 jaw chuck - and hit the Go button at 900 rpm.......
      Neil (yet another one...)

      On the board now:

      Airfix 1/35 Alvis Stalwart Mk2 FV622
      Hasegawa 1/48 A8 Crusader

      Scalemates stash info
      =58417&fkSTASHSTATUS[]=58417-Stash&page=stash]Scalemates Stash manager
      User avatar
      Twokidsnosleep
      General
      General
      Posts: 18481
      Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
      Location: BC,Canada
      Canada

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

      Post by Twokidsnosleep »

      digger303 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:29 am
      Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:20 pm
      digger303 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:58 am I'm sure you will figure it out and have it running sweet soon.
      :cheers2:
      Yep
      Watched lots of videos and did some reading and am raring to get out there and sort her adjustments
      I couldn't work it out, but the area with the large metal dovetails. On the mating piece there is a separate long thin piece which is adjustable so that it slides back and forth without any side slop. It is where you had a problem with that screw. What is that material...metal or plastic ?
      :cheers2:
      The big dovetail mates the cross table and a wedge is used to hold things tight but not too tight as ai had it.
      It is a black composite material they call this a ‘gib’
      Image
      It allows for wear as can be pushed in deeper if the cross table gets too sloppy. The metal rod is the holder to stop the gib from just sliding right out as the table moves. I have the wrench to tighten that bolt in place
      Scott

      On, Under or near the desk
      Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
      User avatar
      Twokidsnosleep
      General
      General
      Posts: 18481
      Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
      Location: BC,Canada
      Canada

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

      Post by Twokidsnosleep »

      Now everything is super smooth and slidey

      Scott

      On, Under or near the desk
      Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
      User avatar
      MrBowcat
      Command Sergeant Major
      Command Sergeant Major
      Posts: 828
      Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
      Location: London
      England

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

      Post by MrBowcat »

      Very nice bit of kit. I looked at the Sherlines myself but decided in the end I wanted something a little bigger and went for a Warco.

      Are you going to stick with HSS tooling or go carbide?
      Si vis pacem, para bellum
      User avatar
      digger303
      General
      General
      Posts: 16667
      Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
      Location: Western Australia
      Australia

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

      Post by digger303 »

      Twokidsnosleep wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:10 pm
      digger303 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:29 am
      Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:20 pm

      Yep
      Watched lots of videos and did some reading and am raring to get out there and sort her adjustments
      I couldn't work it out, but the area with the large metal dovetails. On the mating piece there is a separate long thin piece which is adjustable so that it slides back and forth without any side slop. It is where you had a problem with that screw. What is that material...metal or plastic ?
      :cheers2:
      The big dovetail mates the cross table and a wedge is used to hold things tight but not too tight as ai had it.
      It is a black composite material they call this a ‘gib’
      Image
      It allows for wear as can be pushed in deeper if the cross table gets too sloppy. The metal rod is the holder to stop the gib from just sliding right out as the table moves. I have the wrench to tighten that bolt in place
      Thanks mate, it's all very clear now.
      MrBowcat wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:21 pm Very nice bit of kit. I looked at the Sherlines myself but decided in the end I wanted something a little bigger and went for a Warco.

      Are you going to stick with HSS tooling or go carbide?
      Personally I prefer carbide. I always seem to be sharpening my blades on the wood planer I have which is HSS. It's so much of a pain to resharpen them and they always go blunt half way through a job.
      :cheers2:
      Listen and appear wise
      Image
      Image

      scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
      Image
      User avatar
      Twokidsnosleep
      General
      General
      Posts: 18481
      Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
      Location: BC,Canada
      Canada

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

      Post by Twokidsnosleep »

      digger303 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:29 am






      Personally I prefer carbide. I always seem to be sharpening my blades on the wood planer I have which is HSS. It's so much of a pain to resharpen them and they always go blunt half way through a job.
      :cheers2:
      MrBowcat wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:21 pm Very nice bit of kit. I looked at the Sherlines myself but decided in the end I wanted something a little bigger and went for a Warco.

      Are you going to stick with HSS tooling or go carbide?




      I have not got that far yet
      The kit included some tools so will try those all out and then likely order some other to test as well
      I am certainly a noob at all this and will be learning as I go
      Trying not to just keep ordering things right off the bat until I get a bit of a feel for her
      I want a collet set that will allow easy turning of solid rod with minimal effort to Center it. But I have to wait, it is like $300

      Also I lost my weight in golf balls today playing SunPeaks so need to recover financially and emotionally from that
      Image
      Actually I found more than I lost, but never my own good ball :roll:
      Scott

      On, Under or near the desk
      Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
      User avatar
      MrBowcat
      Command Sergeant Major
      Command Sergeant Major
      Posts: 828
      Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
      Location: London
      England

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

      Post by MrBowcat »

      Yeah, tooling soon adds up. A collet set is a nice addition, dialling in a 4 jaw gets tedious. Might want to also consider a quick change tool post (if it doesn't already have one).
      Si vis pacem, para bellum
      User avatar
      Twokidsnosleep
      General
      General
      Posts: 18481
      Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
      Location: BC,Canada
      Canada

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

      Post by Twokidsnosleep »

      MrBowcat wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:16 am Yeah, tooling soon adds up. A collet set is a nice addition, dialling in a 4 jaw gets tedious. Might want to also consider a quick change tool post (if it doesn't already have one).
      Yes quick change tool post on the list..” tryally “ has some sherline specific designs
      You read exactly what I was thinking about a four jaw Chuck and the collets…but it is still on the list too
      Set of T-handle hex wrenches
      Make up some tool holders
      Compound slide cross table for angles
      Dust cover
      Etc etc etc
      Scott

      On, Under or near the desk
      Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
      User avatar
      MrBowcat
      Command Sergeant Major
      Command Sergeant Major
      Posts: 828
      Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
      Location: London
      England

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

      Post by MrBowcat »

      I replaced my compound slide with a solid block of steel to improve rigidity. I rarely use the compound, but can swap it in with two hex nuts quite quickly when required.

      QCTP and holders is the first purchase IMHO.
      Si vis pacem, para bellum
      User avatar
      Twokidsnosleep
      General
      General
      Posts: 18481
      Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
      Location: BC,Canada
      Canada

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

      Post by Twokidsnosleep »

      MrBowcat wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:01 pm I replaced my compound slide with a solid block of steel to improve rigidity. I rarely use the compound, but can swap it in with two hex nuts quite quickly when required.

      QCTP and holders is the first purchase IMHO.
      You need to pop in some photos of your lathe if you can…would like to see that set up :th:
      Scott

      On, Under or near the desk
      Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
      User avatar
      Twokidsnosleep
      General
      General
      Posts: 18481
      Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
      Location: BC,Canada
      Canada

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

      Post by Twokidsnosleep »

      First job of the day for the lathe is to add the protective switch cover
      @digger303 mentioned about reading brass could short the machine out by slipping past the space in the switch
      So for $9 from Amazon I have some replaceable switch covers
      They thread right on and are a beauty fit

      Image

      Image

      Image

      Basically a toggle switch condom ;)
      Scott

      On, Under or near the desk
      Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
      User avatar
      Twokidsnosleep
      General
      General
      Posts: 18481
      Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
      Location: BC,Canada
      Canada

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

      Post by Twokidsnosleep »

      Step two of day one is FACING :cutting the end of a rod flat and square to the lathe
      I had a short chunk of rough cut aluminum with a little nubbin in the middle. Perfect
      Image

      Image

      Run the tool across, just barely taking anything off and then deeper on subsequent passes

      Image

      Image

      Ok super
      Scott

      On, Under or near the desk
      Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
      User avatar
      Twokidsnosleep
      General
      General
      Posts: 18481
      Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
      Location: BC,Canada
      Canada

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

      Post by Twokidsnosleep »

      Next was TURNING; making the side of the rod smooth and perpendicular to the end face…also reducing the diameter of the rod

      Image

      Ok that is good but a bit boring. Let’s make some threads on that turned part with a THREAD DIE

      Image

      Image

      Image

      Ya that is more exciting. Now this test piece can be used for something useful
      All the threading is done by hand no power from the lathe, but it lets me set things up to square and holds stuff really well for tap and die work :banana:
      Scott

      On, Under or near the desk
      Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
      User avatar
      Twokidsnosleep
      General
      General
      Posts: 18481
      Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
      Location: BC,Canada
      Canada

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

      Post by Twokidsnosleep »

      So next skill test is DRILLING HOLES
      Start with a little dimpler bit thingy…can’t remeber it’s name. It gives a dead Center starting point for your drill

      Image

      Then your drill. Bit of oil and lots of reversing to clear the chips out
      Image

      Now you have a good hole so might as well TAP SOME THREADS
      Image

      Turn this all by hand. The squareness and solidity of the lathe makes it easy
      Then you got a screw end and some internal threads, so…
      Image

      Taper it all in to match
      Image
      Scott

      On, Under or near the desk
      Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
      User avatar
      Twokidsnosleep
      General
      General
      Posts: 18481
      Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
      Location: BC,Canada
      Canada

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

      Post by Twokidsnosleep »

      Ok so we are not just fooling around, we are making something.
      A marking tool brass and aluminum with a needle for a point. This is Clickspring’s design, I will post a link to the video
      Rough notes
      Image

      Face both ends of the brass
      Drill a second hole for the needle
      Image

      Angle the head to taper the point end to 5*
      Image

      Smooth off the rest of the brass by turning it and add some more grooves with the end cutter for finger holds
      Image

      Needle fit…it is bent slightly 🙄
      Image

      And then here we go, a finished hand tool
      Image

      Image

      LOTS of room for improvement but I had fun, made something useful and didn’t kill myself or even have to swear once
      Amazing
      Scott

      On, Under or near the desk
      Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
      User avatar
      Twokidsnosleep
      General
      General
      Posts: 18481
      Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
      Location: BC,Canada
      Canada

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

      Post by Twokidsnosleep »

      This was the video


      Chris Dude is an amazing maker and videographer very addictive to watch
      Matthew started me out on this, so it is his fault :shifty:
      Scott

      On, Under or near the desk
      Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
      User avatar
      digger303
      General
      General
      Posts: 16667
      Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
      Location: Western Australia
      Australia

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

      Post by digger303 »

      Nice.
      :th: :th: :th:
      :cheers2:
      Listen and appear wise
      Image
      Image

      scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
      Image
      User avatar
      Twokidsnosleep
      General
      General
      Posts: 18481
      Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
      Location: BC,Canada
      Canada

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

      Post by Twokidsnosleep »

      digger303 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:45 am Nice.
      :th: :th: :th:
      :cheers2:
      Not bad hey
      You had me thinking about those toggle covers from day one to protect the electrics
      But I am glad I did the Amazon thing and found five for the price of their one AND mine it covers the entire switch.
      :banana:
      Scott

      On, Under or near the desk
      Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
      User avatar
      Twokidsnosleep
      General
      General
      Posts: 18481
      Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
      Location: BC,Canada
      Canada

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup (and use)

      Post by Twokidsnosleep »

      Made a little video of today

      Scott

      On, Under or near the desk
      Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
      User avatar
      MrBowcat
      Command Sergeant Major
      Command Sergeant Major
      Posts: 828
      Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
      Location: London
      England

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

      Post by MrBowcat »

      Looks like you are getting to grips with it Scott. :thumb2:

      The "dimpler" is a Centre Drill. Which reminds me, something else to add to your shopping list is a live centre to replace the dead centre.
      Si vis pacem, para bellum
      User avatar
      Twokidsnosleep
      General
      General
      Posts: 18481
      Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
      Location: BC,Canada
      Canada

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

      Post by Twokidsnosleep »

      MrBowcat wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:29 am Looks like you are getting to grips with it Scott. :thumb2:

      The "dimpler" is a Centre Drill. Which reminds me, something else to add to your shopping list is a live centre to replace the dead centre.
      My kit included the live center
      I want to try and make a holder for the threading dies using the removable taper from the drill chuck
      Scott

      On, Under or near the desk
      Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
      User avatar
      MrBowcat
      Command Sergeant Major
      Command Sergeant Major
      Posts: 828
      Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
      Location: London
      England

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

      Post by MrBowcat »

      I'll post some pics of the die holder I made. You can buy Arbor blanks that have the correct taper to fit in the tail stock, then turn down the other end to make a rod for the die holder to slide on.

      Like I said, I'll take some pics over the weekend which will explain it better. :)

      Edited to add: if you really fancy a challenge you could turn the taper yourself, although it's tricky to get perfectly right.
      Si vis pacem, para bellum
      User avatar
      Twokidsnosleep
      General
      General
      Posts: 18481
      Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
      Location: BC,Canada
      Canada

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

      Post by Twokidsnosleep »

      MrBowcat wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:52 pm I'll post some pics of the die holder I made. You can buy Arbor blanks that have the correct taper to fit in the tail stock, then turn down the other end to make a rod for the die holder to slide on.

      Like I said, I'll take some pics over the weekend which will explain it better. :)

      Edited to add: if you really fancy a challenge you could turn the taper yourself, although it's tricky to get perfectly right.
      I was watching blondie hacks video on turning tapers… :think:
      Scott

      On, Under or near the desk
      Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
      User avatar
      MrBowcat
      Command Sergeant Major
      Command Sergeant Major
      Posts: 828
      Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
      Location: London
      England

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

      Post by MrBowcat »

      Blondie Hacks is awesome, check out Ades Workshop as well.

      So as promised, some pics of my setup. My lathe is a Warco WM180 with DRO. 0-2500 variable RPM, 600w motor, 180mm swing and 300mm between centres.

      Image

      This is the tail stock die holder I made. As I mentioned you can buy blank arbors in whatever taper you need (mines MT2). I just drilled the blank end and interference fit a piece of 10mm drill rod, then made the holder. Works well.

      Image

      Image

      This is the riser block I made to replace the compound slide (which is sitting behind it in the 2nd picture. This was just a block of steel I ordered slightly oversize, then machined to dimension and drilled as necessary, all in the 4 jaw on the lathe. It's two allen head bolts to swap it out for the compound as and when required, but it's a lot more rigid than the compound.

      Image

      Image

      And here are a few pics of some of the stuff I've made. First is handles for the hand wheels to replace the stock plastic ones.

      Image

      And this is a hand wheel I made to fit on the end of the lead screw. It lets me engage the half nut and crank the lead screw by hand, which is a lot finer than the wheel on the saddle. It's grooved for a belt as eventually I want to add a stepper motor for power feed rather than using the lathes gear set.

      Image

      A machinists hammer (a rite of passage so I'm led to believe).

      Image

      And some chamber flags I made for the guys at my shooting club. These are to fit .308/7.62mm rifles but the chamber ends can be un-threaded and replaced for different calibres.

      Image

      Other than that I've made some model parts, pens, rings, knobs for cupboards and doors, coasters, some other gun related parts and various adapters. My next project is going to be Clicksprings compression fire starter. :)
      Si vis pacem, para bellum
      User avatar
      Twokidsnosleep
      General
      General
      Posts: 18481
      Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
      Location: BC,Canada
      Canada

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

      Post by Twokidsnosleep »

      THAT is a whole lot of awesome right there
      :banana: :banana: :banana:
      Very impressed with all you have done. That is a serious looking machine!
      The knurled handles are perfect, the machinist’s hammer (on my list) and the die holder :th:
      Exactly the stuff I want to get to
      Super stuff, thank you so much for showing
      Scott

      On, Under or near the desk
      Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
      User avatar
      MrBowcat
      Command Sergeant Major
      Command Sergeant Major
      Posts: 828
      Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
      Location: London
      England

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

      Post by MrBowcat »

      No worries buddy. Nice to have another machinist on here to chat lathe stuff with. :)
      Si vis pacem, para bellum
      User avatar
      digger303
      General
      General
      Posts: 16667
      Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
      Location: Western Australia
      Australia

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

      Post by digger303 »

      MrBowcat wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:25 pm Blondie Hacks is awesome, check out Ades Workshop as well.

      So as promised, some pics of my setup. My lathe is a Warco WM180 with DRO. 0-2500 variable RPM, 600w motor, 180mm swing and 300mm between centres.

      Image

      This is the tail stock die holder I made. As I mentioned you can buy blank arbors in whatever taper you need (mines MT2). I just drilled the blank end and interference fit a piece of 10mm drill rod, then made the holder. Works well.

      Image

      Image

      This is the riser block I made to replace the compound slide (which is sitting behind it in the 2nd picture. This was just a block of steel I ordered slightly oversize, then machined to dimension and drilled as necessary, all in the 4 jaw on the lathe. It's two allen head bolts to swap it out for the compound as and when required, but it's a lot more rigid than the compound.

      Image

      Image

      And here are a few pics of some of the stuff I've made. First is handles for the hand wheels to replace the stock plastic ones.

      Image

      And this is a hand wheel I made to fit on the end of the lead screw. It lets me engage the half nut and crank the lead screw by hand, which is a lot finer than the wheel on the saddle. It's grooved for a belt as eventually I want to add a stepper motor for power feed rather than using the lathes gear set.

      Image

      A machinists hammer (a rite of passage so I'm led to believe).

      Image

      And some chamber flags I made for the guys at my shooting club. These are to fit .308/7.62mm rifles but the chamber ends can be un-threaded and replaced for different calibres.

      Image

      Other than that I've made some model parts, pens, rings, knobs for cupboards and doors, coasters, some other gun related parts and various adapters. My next project is going to be Clicksprings compression fire starter. :)
      wow your right in the deep end and doing well. Very impressed. :mrgreen:
      Are you happy with the machine size ? Or to put it another way happy with the machine , but want more space between centres ?
      Any limitations with your machine you wish you could change ?
      :th: :th: :th:
      :mrgreen:
      :cheers2:
      Listen and appear wise
      Image
      Image

      scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
      Image
      User avatar
      MrBowcat
      Command Sergeant Major
      Command Sergeant Major
      Posts: 828
      Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
      Location: London
      England

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

      Post by MrBowcat »

      More than happy with the machine. Quite simply I don't have room for anything bigger, my cave is around 6x8.

      Ideally I'd have more space and a much bigger machine, although saying that I haven't needed to make anything yet that my machine is too small for.

      The only thing I'd like is a bit more torque at low rpm. These small lathes with their DC motors have little torque at low speeds, a bigger lathe with a back gear would be needed. Saying that, I really only run it slow when parting off, which is still the thing I struggle with the most.
      Si vis pacem, para bellum
      User avatar
      Twokidsnosleep
      General
      General
      Posts: 18481
      Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
      Location: BC,Canada
      Canada

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

      Post by Twokidsnosleep »

      Took an hour or so today for a little project while waiting for pool to drain.
      Summer is done :cry:
      Made a replacement button for a woodworking clamp.
      The metal is likely worth more than the entire clamp, but it was a fun skill test. I think I want a gooseneck magnifying glass on the lathe so I can see any imperfections.

      Here is the one to copy
      Image
      Marking fluid and layout lines after end faced and hole drilled
      Image
      My planned diameter was 5.7mm so I will take this
      Image
      Finished silver button.
      I could have smoothed that shoulder out just a smidge but I already cut the piece off the stock so it was too short to Chuck in the lathe safely.
      Image

      Image

      Over engineered aluminum button in a $2 clamp
      Image


      Video summary and in use:
      Scott

      On, Under or near the desk
      Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
      User avatar
      digger303
      General
      General
      Posts: 16667
      Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
      Location: Western Australia
      Australia

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

      Post by digger303 »

      Good result.
      Local scrap dealers are good places for blank stock material and much cheaper than other sources.
      :cheers2:
      Listen and appear wise
      Image
      Image

      scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
      Image
      User avatar
      Twokidsnosleep
      General
      General
      Posts: 18481
      Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
      Location: BC,Canada
      Canada

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

      Post by Twokidsnosleep »

      digger303 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:31 am Good result.
      Local scrap dealers are good places for blank stock material and much cheaper than other sources.
      :cheers2:
      Good idea.
      I do not have a good local source for material organized yet
      Scott

      On, Under or near the desk
      Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
      User avatar
      MrBowcat
      Command Sergeant Major
      Command Sergeant Major
      Posts: 828
      Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
      Location: London
      England

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

      Post by MrBowcat »

      The only problem with scrap is you end up with "mystery metal". Although more expensive I tend to get my metal from online stores, at least you can specify what type you want.
      Si vis pacem, para bellum
      User avatar
      Twokidsnosleep
      General
      General
      Posts: 18481
      Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
      Location: BC,Canada
      Canada

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

      Post by Twokidsnosleep »

      Another minor organizational project: solid lathe base
      The company suggests a shelf of certain dimension to counteract the top heavy lathe and overhang excess so you can pick it up by the base and not the motor, head or tailstock.
      I had a solid wood something or other board in the garage that fit the bill perfectly and added some brass nuts for some jazz
      Soooo……

      Image

      Image

      Image

      I made a makeshift plastic cover from shipping packing and duct tape to keep the thing covered and dust free
      God my garage is a mess. This is still not the lathe’s final home. Working on that idea still.
      Scott

      On, Under or near the desk
      Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
      User avatar
      Twokidsnosleep
      General
      General
      Posts: 18481
      Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
      Location: BC,Canada
      Canada

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

      Post by Twokidsnosleep »

      My next project is a little machinists hammer or thwacker
      I ordered some aluminum and brass and seem to have gotten the dimensions wrong…both are too small
      I might go up the plumber section and see if I can find a good chunk of brass there

      Image

      Interestingly, the aluminum rods have two weird ends
      One is crystalline and the other looks like tube with a cap stuffed in
      Crystalline
      Image
      Capped tube?
      Image

      Both of these looked like hollow tube stuffed with something to me. So off to the lathe and see
      Nope it is good solid aluminum after a few mm’s deep of a weird crystal middle
      The other end was fine too, just rough parting cuts maybe??

      Image

      Image
      Scott

      On, Under or near the desk
      Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
      User avatar
      MrBowcat
      Command Sergeant Major
      Command Sergeant Major
      Posts: 828
      Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
      Location: London
      England

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

      Post by MrBowcat »

      Those ends are strange, never seen bar stock like that before. They both look like they have been partly parted off on a lathe, then fully cut using something else? Weird.

      I turned some stainless for the first time this weekend, had to take 25 mm stock down to 11.8 mm. Took ages, could only manage .50 mil cuts per pass. Hard stuff.
      Si vis pacem, para bellum
      User avatar
      Twokidsnosleep
      General
      General
      Posts: 18481
      Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
      Location: BC,Canada
      Canada

      Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

      Post by Twokidsnosleep »

      MrBowcat wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:44 pm Those ends are strange, never seen bar stock like that before. They both look like they have been partly parted off on a lathe, then fully cut using something else? Weird.

      I turned some stainless for the first time this weekend, had to take 25 mm stock down to 11.8 mm. Took ages, could only manage .50 mil cuts per pass. Hard stuff.
      Ok good I thought it was just me.
      They end finished fine so not sure what, but that crystalline stuff was a good 3-4 mm deep into the center of the end
      What type of tool did you use for the stainless??
      Like HSS of something else
      Scott

      On, Under or near the desk
      Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
      Post Reply

      Return to “Tools”