Gloss or Matte?

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
Panzerwolf
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:08 pm
Location: Rheda-Wiedenbrück, Germany

Gloss or Matte?

Post by Panzerwolf »

Probably noob question but what's used for models, gloss or matte varnish?
I'm confused as I usually do matte but I saw some vids of Russian tanks and gloss was used... :think:
WIP
Tristar PzKpfw 38 (t) Ausf. G
Hobby Boss T-40 Soviet Light Tank
User avatar
T3hGuppy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3467
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:20 pm
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Gloss or Matte?

Post by T3hGuppy »

Depends on the finish you are looking for.

I use gloss for decals and weathering but finish with a final coat of Matt.
On the bench

Too much to list. !!


Youtube channel:https://www.youtube.com/user/bnealuk
User avatar
Raptor
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:33 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Gloss or Matte?

Post by Raptor »

I am also quite new to scale modelling and from what I have seen and experienced it goes as follows.

Coat of Gloss before and after decals, do your relevant weathering then finish with matt/flat clear coat to lock in the weathering and dull up the shine from the gloss.

The more experienced modellers may correct me but I believe the above method is what is classed as "Standard" at least for planes.
Andy
On the Bench:
WH40k - Dark Angel, Company Veterans <Status: Painted>
WH40k - Chaos Hellbrute <Status: Airbrushing>

"you can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"
User avatar
Lego
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:16 pm
Location: Ireland
Ireland

Re: Gloss or Matte?

Post by Lego »

A lot of the time I would

Gloss, apply decals, gloss then do filters and pin washes, satin cote and then apply pigments/mud (heavy stuff) and finish. I think this applies more to modern armour because they have a little shine but it is personal preference.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Gloss or Matte?

Post by Nige201980 »

Lego wrote:A lot of the time I would

Gloss, apply decals, gloss then do filters and pin washes, satin cote and then apply pigments/mud (heavy stuff) and finish. I think this applies more to modern armour because they have a little shine but it is personal preference.
More or less the same for WWII aircraft too or finished with a satin coat. Some jets tend to be quite shinny so finish of with a gloss coat.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
WebbyNZ
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 393
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 11:02 am
Location: Manawatu, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Gloss or Matte?

Post by WebbyNZ »

generally its clear under and over decals
from there it depends on the finish you want
from super high gloss finishes that get polished up for sports cars to no shine at all on brick of buildings
for tanks id say satin or matt
Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”