Modeling misdemeanours

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
russ2471
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:08 pm
Location: London

Modeling misdemeanours

Post by russ2471 »

As a newbie I am making some mistakes, some infuriating and some funny
Only yesterday after washing my chieftain road wheels in preparation for priming I put them on the window sill with the window open to dry ( I live on the second floor). Half an hour later I began to lay them out to paint and realised their were 11 and not 12. :oops:
I raced downstairs to the communal gardens and spent one and a half hours on my hands and knees doing a finger tip search Scotland Yard would have been proud of but to no avail.
As got back to my flat gutted i had to wash my hands and there sitting in the plug hole was wheels number 12 :banana:

Any of you guys got stories you dare share ????
Russ

On the bench

Airfix Bf109
Tamiya 1/35 British Special Air Service jeep
Meng 1/35 T90A
Trumpeter ASU-85
ChubberLang
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:25 pm
Location: Blandford Forum, Dorset

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by ChubberLang »

Great effort Russ :wtf: lol!

As a newbie myself. I am sure i'll do some silly things :shifty:
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by Nige201980 »

The other day i was opening a tin of humbrol paint when it pinged of spent the rest of the evening look for said lid but to no joy so decanted the paint into a glass jar. two days later we found the lid behind on of the cushions on one of the living room chairs must have travelled about 3 meters but luckily no paint any where.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
User avatar
Lee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by Lee »

I'm forever knocking over stuff, like TET (a lot), kicker, thinners etc etc - I've gone through a lot of cutting mats...!!
Where does all the bloody time go.....?

Owner of Ultimate Modelling Products
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by Coen »

Lee wrote:I'm forever knocking over stuff, like TET (a lot), kicker, thinners etc etc - I've gone through a lot of cutting mats...!!
I use a bit of that stuff called "Blue Tack" on the bottom of all my glue bottles (cause I've knocked over many of my own). Then I just stick it in the spot that is most convenient on my desk while I'm working. I haven't spilled anything (except for a couple of paint bottles) in ages.

I did spent an hour on my hands and knees fighting the carpet monster for a decal that I dropped, only to give up and go get coffee. When I returned I found the decal still in the cup of water that I was using. A most unproductive afternoon.
User avatar
Gav0909
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2927
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by Gav0909 »

Yeah, been there with the spilling of paint, my bedroom floor back when I still lived with my parents forever had a nice bright green stain on the floor from a spilled paint pot.

My most recent one was knocking over my tub of extra thin superglue.......my pc desk pull out tray is now missing a large chunk from the top veneer coating....its stuck to the bottom of my cutting mat! It also engulfed my tamiya tape, stuck paintbrushes and tools to the desk, not to mention the fumes! Won't be doing that again in a hurry.

Oh I nearly sliced the end of my finger off once when cutting some plasticard. Knife slipped up and over the metal rule I was cutting against and took a neat slice into the end of my finger.
UKscalemodeller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2062
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by UKscalemodeller »

I have a wonderfull scar on my right index finger from an accident while cleaning up a dwarf when I was 11. I am proud to report though that I am the only one in my family not to spill the moody blue citadel paint, everyone else managed to.

I have also stuck the fuselage halves of at least two models together without putting the cockpit in first.
EpoxySniffer
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 12:48 am
Location: Scotland

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by EpoxySniffer »

I stuck a sheet of sandpaper to my hand a few weeks ago with CA glue, had to use a de-bonder to get it all off.

UKscalemodeller - I made the exact same mistake on the Airacobra I am currently building, glued the fuselage together and then saw the pilot looking at me from my paint drying area saying "forgotten something?"

Your not a real modeller until you have drawn blood from at least one finger!!
HobbyModeller
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 332
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 4:47 pm

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by HobbyModeller »

Gav0909 wrote:Yeah, been there with the spilling of paint, my bedroom floor back when I still lived with my parents forever had a nice bright green stain on the floor from a spilled paint pot.
Been there thankfully the carpets were being replaced a fortnight later so I only had to keep the rather large grey patch covered with a bag or something :think:
User avatar
modellingmadness
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:20 pm
Location: Wolverhampton
Great Britain

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by modellingmadness »

This is one to never do. One night I descided to do some modelling on the floor in my bedroom. The next minute it had gone all over the floor(carpet) and soaked in. I could not get rid of the smell no matter how much febreze I sprayed. I had to sleep in a sleeping bag in my brothers room for the next week! IDIOT :pistols:
Just have fun!
Image
russ2471
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:08 pm
Location: London

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by russ2471 »

I have another one for the pot !!

Last night I was doing the running gear on my chieftain 1/35. In an attempt to stretch my rubber track to fit better and hope fully show droop. I decided to warm it up i boiled the kettle added poured it into a bowl and topped up,with a little cold water . I dropped in the said track and it immediately shrivelled up to half the size it was and now won't even go around my wrist never mind the tank !!!

Ich bin ein Berliner
Russ

On the bench

Airfix Bf109
Tamiya 1/35 British Special Air Service jeep
Meng 1/35 T90A
Trumpeter ASU-85
User avatar
Lee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by Lee »

Sorry Russ, I had to chuckle at that.... It's a bummer for sure.... :(
Where does all the bloody time go.....?

Owner of Ultimate Modelling Products
WebbyNZ
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 393
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 11:02 am
Location: Manawatu, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by WebbyNZ »

This could be a long thread, which is not a bad thing if we share out collective fails for the better good.

Put me down for a dropped part, in this case car exhaust, somewhere under my chair and without thinking i rolled back to get it, and in the process rolled over said part breaking it into 3 parts :-/
Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
User avatar
Gav0909
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2927
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by Gav0909 »

Ah Webby, I always make sure to lift my chair right back if I need to get under the desk to look for a part! Lately I seem to be getting butter fingers and seem to drop everything! Small parts are the worst, my tweezers don't clamp small parts very well, they tend to spin around and fall out if I try to file small parts held in the tweezers and invariably the part pings to the floor.
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by Nige201980 »

Only last night I was cutting a small of the sprune only for it to fly across the room to hit my wife on the forehead I could stop laughing for a good 5 minutes or more. She wasn't that impressed to say the least.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
User avatar
Lee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by Lee »

Nige201980 wrote:Only last night I was cutting a small of the sprune only for it to fly across the room to hit my wife on the forehead I could stop laughing for a good 5 minutes or more. She wasn't that impressed to say the least.
That's excellent, you can't buy stuff like that...lol

What a shame you weren't filming a youtube vid at the time...PMSL
Where does all the bloody time go.....?

Owner of Ultimate Modelling Products
UKscalemodeller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2062
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by UKscalemodeller »

Nige201980 wrote:Only last night I was cutting a small of the sprune only for it to fly across the room to hit my wife on the forehead I could stop laughing for a good 5 minutes or more. She wasn't that impressed to say the least.
And you STILL think you're getting an airbrush for Christmas? :)
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by Nige201980 »

See saw the funny side after a while lol.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
User avatar
SuperDryBeef
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Qc,Canada

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by SuperDryBeef »

I keep dropping AK enamels weathering products on my pants, I have probably wasted 3 pants and 5 paint container.
User avatar
Lee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by Lee »

I take it by pants you mean trousers? I can just picture you sitting there in your keks modelling - No, scrub that image.....lol
Where does all the bloody time go.....?

Owner of Ultimate Modelling Products
UKscalemodeller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2062
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by UKscalemodeller »

SuperDryBeef wrote:I keep dropping AK enamels weathering products on my pants, I have probably wasted 3 pants and 5 paint container.

I'm glad that I know that the folks across the pond use 'pants' in a different way to us, otherwise I would now need brain bleach.
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by Coen »

What are "pants" in the UK.
Here in Canada I think most folks call trousers something that you wear with a suit.
User avatar
Lee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by Lee »

Coen wrote:What are "pants" in the UK.
Here in Canada I think most folks call trousers something that you wear with a suit.
Pants....
Image


Trousers...
Image


:thumb1:
Where does all the bloody time go.....?

Owner of Ultimate Modelling Products
User avatar
SuperDryBeef
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Qc,Canada

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by SuperDryBeef »

ok then, TROUSERS, your pants are underwear here, and our pants are trousers .
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by Paul »

SuperDryBeef wrote:ok then, TROUSERS, your pants are underwear here, and our pants are trousers .

What about kegs and keks :rofl:
User avatar
SuperDryBeef
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Qc,Canada

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by SuperDryBeef »

I have no idea what is, like you probably have no idea whats an ostie de tabarnak but thats normal.
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by Paul »

SuperDryBeef wrote:I have no idea what is, like you probably have no idea whats an ostie de tabarnak but thats normal.
I don't but google does :snooty: :naughty: :naughty:
User avatar
SuperDryBeef
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Qc,Canada

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by SuperDryBeef »

that's cheating! kegs probably are some * baril de biere* and keks seems to be cookies or cake.
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by Coen »

I have no idea what is, like you probably have no idea whats an ostie de tabarnak but thats normal.
:eeek: :thumb2: :thumb2:
Hey... this is a family website... no swearin.
Last edited by Coen on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by Paul »

SuperDryBeef wrote:that's cheating! kegs probably are some * baril de biere* and keks seems to be cookies or cake.

Ha ha no both trousers or pants :banana:
User avatar
SuperDryBeef
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Qc,Canada

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by SuperDryBeef »

Coen wrote:
I have no idea what is, like you probably have no idea whats an ostie de tabarnak but thats normal.
:eeek: :thumb2: :thumb2:
Hey... this is a family website... no swearin.
it's not swearing, it's religion... :dance:
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by Coen »

:rofl: :rofl:
sure sure sure
UKscalemodeller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2062
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by UKscalemodeller »

Lee wrote:
Coen wrote:What are "pants" in the UK.
Here in Canada I think most folks call trousers something that you wear with a suit.
Pants....
[img]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n293 ... /pants.jpg[


:thumb1:

Now thats just a matter of taste.
WebbyNZ
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 393
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 11:02 am
Location: Manawatu, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by WebbyNZ »

According to the brit I work with 'Pants' is to him as 'Bugger' is to Kiwi's
[youtube]u91WGac2mbI[/youtube]

And we call 'underpants' undies (when they are not togs
[youtube]xW4qptCre8M[/youtube])
Last edited by Lee on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed your links for you.... :D
Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
User avatar
Lee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by Lee »

That Hilux ad is brill - Love the last one :rofl:
Where does all the bloody time go.....?

Owner of Ultimate Modelling Products
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by Coen »

I think that I've soiled my pants, togs, undies, underpants, gitch, trousers, laughing so hard!
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by Paul »

Lmao funny vids
User avatar
NovYank
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 331
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:40 pm
Location: New York

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by NovYank »

I was painting a 3-color NATO camo scheme on a LAV-M and trying to steady my hand I rested my finger on a part of the model that was still wet with paint, then continually moved my finger around as I painted other sections of the vehicle. That itself isn't so bad, the TAMIYA acrylic could have been wiped away and replaced, it gets worse when I did not notice the mistake until the next day when the paint dried.
Satirically the finger that made the error was my middle finger (I could tell because there was a big black stain on the tip of my finger). Their literally was a big middle finger sticking out and telling me of my mistake.

It wasn't my brightest moments.
Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by Coen »

:rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol:

Been there... Done that.
I managed to do it with my thumb though... not quite as demeaning... but just as damning.
UKscalemodeller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2062
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by UKscalemodeller »

I ran out of things to hold the small parts of my Beriev kit while I gave it an oil wash, so I used one of the clamps that Bagpiper liked so much on my GB post.

I forgot about it and left it for about a week. It crushed it utterly. :o(
User avatar
Scruffy
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:37 pm
Location: New Hampshire
United States of America

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by Scruffy »

Usually near the end of a build my workspace gets cluttered with bottles of paint and stuff I am using on the final details etc. I was just finishing a build of a Fine Moulds Kikka for an article and the promised deadline was approaching, I was applying the decals (all six of them) and had already applied softener, decided to apply a bit more to one of the wing hinomaura's and grabbed the Micro liquid film ( has blue lettering like the Microsol). Yeah, already softened decals do not like the liquid film applied. Spent the rest of the day trying to repair that mistake as naturally I did not have any spare replacements :wall: :wall: In the end got so it was not totally obvious, but if you know where to look, there it is!
Image
gosselin2112
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 655
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 2:18 am
Location: Manchester, Newhampshire USA

Re: Modeling misdemeanours

Post by gosselin2112 »

These stories have been hysterical :lol:

I once lost a rather important model part to the dreaded carpet monster. I spent a really long time on my hands and knees looking for it. After surrendering, I noticed that the part dropped into the cuff of my trousers (pants). So now when a piece flings off the workbench I immediately check the wrinkles and cuffs of my clothing just to make sure.

Russ
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”