Fine Detail Painting

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
AnytimeBabe
New Recruit
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:42 pm

Fine Detail Painting

Post by AnytimeBabe »

I've been working on the ejection seats for my F-15E recently, and I have discovered I need some help with hand brushing the fine details such as the molded in seat belts and head cushions. I feel that I'm doing very good for this being my first serious model, but I know I can still improve, so I'd like to hear some tips or techniques that you all have found to be helpful. If you know of any good articles or posts on the subject, I would be very interested. Particularly one thing I have found to be a challenge is painting in a 90 degree corner, because when I brush into the corner from one side, the paint likes to jump to the other side, ruining the fine edge I hoped to achieve (I'm using Model Master Enamels in case that is a factor). Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, I've seen plenty of your cockpits, and I know you guys must have some great tips.
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Fine Detail Painting

Post by chief5437 »

It's usually a case of trying different techniques to suit what you're doing. Masking with tape or maskol, different brushes, thicker or thinner paint. The list is endless, lots of stuff on YouTube, just need to spend a bit of time experimenting.
Chief
User avatar
m0gb0y74
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm
Location: Dumfries, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Fine Detail Painting

Post by m0gb0y74 »

I prefer painting cockpits with water-soluble acrylics such as Citadel or Vallejo. You can water the paint down and if you do make a mistake, a clean brush dipped in water will quickly fix it. I tried using enamels but I find they are much harder to work with in fine detail - they draw themselves onto the model differently. Maybe it's also because I am more nervous of making a mistake as it's not so easy to clean up as it is with Citadel or Vallejo paints.

I used to produce some superb miniatures and vehicles when I was a wargamer, but since switching back to modelling I just can't achieve nowhere near the same level of quality with enamels as I can with the citadel paints. I'm just happy to get a unruined basic paint job on a finished kit!!

James :-)
User avatar
Gav0909
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2927
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Fine Detail Painting

Post by Gav0909 »

The other thing is to make sure your brush painting hand is steady. So mount the thing your painting on something. Such as a cork, or old paintpot with some tack. Or if you can, drill a discrete hole in the bottom and glue in a metal pin then stick this in a cork. Then rest your painting hand on your supporting hand as you hold the cork, this should give you a bit more control.
Neils
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:24 pm

Re: Fine Detail Painting

Post by Neils »

I've also got myself a desk magnifier which really helps for those tiny little bits like pilot eyes. I am tempted to save up for one of these but I dunno if they are step above what I have?
User avatar
Rob
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1892
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:02 pm
Location: Kent, UK

Re: Fine Detail Painting

Post by Rob »

I have an Optivisor and would not (could not) be without it. There are much cheaper options available and they work well too but the one I had fell to bits after a short while and was not as comfortable for prolonged sessions - but it was well under a tenner and ok while it lasted. It had a light on the top too but that was not a lot of cop!
User avatar
tachikoma
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:33 am

Re: Fine Detail Painting

Post by tachikoma »

Not really any tips from me other than practice, practice, practice, and some nice red sable brushes. They are expensive, but a worthwhile investment. Not as expensive as Kolinsky sable, though.
Jason1757
Private
Private
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:14 am
Location: Crystal City, MO (U.S.A)

Re: Fine Detail Painting

Post by Jason1757 »

This is a great question. Thanks for asking it. And thanks to those who responded. This helps me too.
mo0g
Private
Private
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: Fine Detail Painting

Post by mo0g »

I dont think the fact you are using enamels and not acrylics makes any difference, and if you wanted to thin them down, or clean up, you could use white spirit. In fact I would have thought the self-leveling of enamels could help get a nice finish in a tight spot.

I dont think it has been mentioned, but obviously a very fine brush would help too - the finer the brush, the more accurate you can be, but obviously it puts less paint down so you might take a little longer, but still quicker than trying to mask off one of the surfaces if access isnt easy.

One tip for painting canopies freehand is to use a cocktail stick to clean up any overpaint of enamels, that might work for you too.

Good luck!
User avatar
Donkeywalloper
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:06 pm
Location: Burton upon Trent
Great Britain

Re: Fine Detail Painting

Post by Donkeywalloper »

Neils wrote:I've also got myself a desk magnifier which really helps for those tiny little bits like pilot eyes. I am tempted to save up for one of these but I dunno if they are step above what I have?
Neils thanks for this.
I have been searching high and low for something like this and this would be spot on.
:th:
John
Bench:1/35 Tamiya Tiger 1 Mid Production with lots of Aftermarket Stuff
Completed: Vespid 1/72 Comet A10
Shelf: Lots (101 Kits of multiple scales) of Armour + couple of Flappy / Wing Things, found a KV2 95% built and primed four years ago. Plus a few Lego Tech kits, to help restore MoJo
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”