Vallejo Air acrylic

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
KSmodeler
Private
Private
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:35 pm

Vallejo Air acrylic

Post by KSmodeler »

I use primarily Tamiya acrylic paints when I airbrush armor. I use a Badger 100G and Iwata HP airbrush. I decided to try the Vallejo Air line because they are formulated specifically for airbrushing. I am looking for advise on using them? I thin it with Vallejo acrylic thinner, but I find the Air difficult to use. My tip clogs regularly using the Vallejo Air. I never had this issue with the thinned Tamiya. Any suggestions?
KSmodeler

On my bench:

Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire IX

Next project: Tamiya 1/32 P-51D
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Vallejo Air acrylic

Post by Paul »

They are renowned for blogging problems I found the best way to use the was with Ultimate thinner that way seemed to work a bit better
User avatar
galileo1
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:16 am
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Vallejo Air acrylic

Post by galileo1 »

I've had success thinning Model Air with Tamiya's X20A acrylic thinner. Due to the retarder in the thinner tip clogging is reduced significantly (although it never goes away completely). Try it out on a scrapped kit or even paper to see how you manage before applying it to your model.
Rob

Image

In progress:
  • N/A
Scalemodelmedic
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:28 pm
Location: Tipton, UK
Contact:

Re: Vallejo Air acrylic

Post by Scalemodelmedic »

I've been using these for years and have developed a real liking for this paint range. Tip drying is an issue, but with the right "cocktail" it can be reduced. My current mix is about 60% paint, 20% vallejo matt medium or glaze medium and 20% Ultimate thinner. The thinner and additional medium don't impact upon the colour coverage but greatly aid in retarding the drying time. Glaze medium in particular retards drying times a lot.
User avatar
KSmodeler
Private
Private
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:35 pm

Re: Vallejo Air acrylic

Post by KSmodeler »

Thanks for the suggestion. I have not been using any retarder. If this does not work, I am going back to Tamiya acrylics.
KSmodeler

On my bench:

Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire IX

Next project: Tamiya 1/32 P-51D
User avatar
Gav0909
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2927
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Vallejo Air acrylic

Post by Gav0909 »

I think I might get some Glaze medium for airbrushing Vallejo, as they are my primary paints too. I just make do with the clogging by keeping a thinner dipped cotton bud handy!
User avatar
mannloon
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:57 pm
Location: Madison, WI USA
Contact:

Re: Vallejo Air acrylic

Post by mannloon »

I model armor as well, and have only been using an airbrush for a month or two now but only with Tamiya acrylics. Which by the way I really like so far. Many people though try to get me to shoot Vallejo (model air/model color etc) because those people find them superior. But all these problems of clogging are everywhere. Let's say they didn't clog the tip of the airbrush, what then is better about them than Tamiya?
Last edited by mannloon on Mon May 26, 2014 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
On the bench:
Cyber-Hobby T-34 Under New Management
Cyber-Hobby Tiger I Kursk
Rye Field Tiger I w/ Interior
Academy T-34 with bed spring armor
User avatar
atheosx
Private
Private
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:31 am

Re: Vallejo Air acrylic

Post by atheosx »

the clogging is doing my head in. im thinking of making a change, or more likely just grabbing some basic colors from another brand that i use regularly.

however when it works its easy and simple to work with. when it clogs up and doesnt spray or builds up and sprays large blobs on my nicely sanded and primed mazda 787b i want to throw it in the bin.
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Vallejo Air acrylic

Post by Paul »

All these problems are the reason I sold mine, can't beat Tamiya, mr hobby aqueous, xtracrylix and Akan for airbrushing so easy to use with no blocking
User avatar
KSmodeler
Private
Private
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:35 pm

Re: Vallejo Air acrylic

Post by KSmodeler »

I thinned the Vallejo Air with a little more X-20 as suggested and it helped with clogging, but it affected coverage. I just shot Tamiya thinned with X-20 as I have done and prefer it to the VA. I am not impressed with the VA and going back to Tamiya.
KSmodeler

On my bench:

Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire IX

Next project: Tamiya 1/32 P-51D
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”