XF 87

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
Pierce
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:24 am
Location: Nebraska USA
United States of America

XF 87

Post by Pierce »

I finally received the XF-87/tire rubber from china. I used it tonight on my 109E-7 tires. I looks real good but does not stick to the surface very well at all. I did not prime the tires so I don't know if this affected the ahesion of the paint or not. I know now that one session will be paint. As soon as it is dried I will weather and then seal with Klear. No letting it sit around or all the paint will be removed from rubbing against other parts. Does anybody know how long it usually takes before new paint from tamyia make it to the states.
User avatar
ForbesHutton
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 1956
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:10 am
Location: To,On,Ca
Scotland

Re: XF 87

Post by ForbesHutton »

That's one of the Tamiya colors that really needs to be stirred a lot.

You didn't prime it, but did you wash or clean it? There may have been mold-release on the parts which is never good with paint.
Image
Pierce
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:24 am
Location: Nebraska USA
United States of America

Re: XF 87

Post by Pierce »

I stirred the hell out of it. I did not wash thematic the rest of the plastic is holding the color. I'm going to touch it up dry brush the rims apply the dust and Klear it. Lessened learned.
User avatar
JohnP
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:58 pm
Location: Chicago, USA
United States of America

Re: XF 87

Post by JohnP »

You ordered Tamiya paints from China to Nebraska?
If I may suggest, it'd be better to order them from Tamiya's USA headquarters :thumb2:

Here's their website.

Forbes is probably right about XF-87 being one of the nasty shades in the set.
The metallics and glosses really need a good stirring. :crazy: :crazy:
User avatar
Lee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: XF 87

Post by Lee »

Always prime and ALWAYS thin Tamiya paint 50/50 for brushing :th:
Where does all the bloody time go.....?

Owner of Ultimate Modelling Products
Pierce
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:24 am
Location: Nebraska USA
United States of America

Re: XF 87

Post by Pierce »

I just looked at tamyia usa and they don't have XF 87 listed. I thought this was a new paint and it has not made its way to the USA yet.
User avatar
ForbesHutton
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 1956
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:10 am
Location: To,On,Ca
Scotland

Re: XF 87

Post by ForbesHutton »

I thought you we're asking about XF-85 "Rubber black". I can't find a XF-87 either, but I can't see why Tamiya would have two rubber paints. The XF-85 should be available in most shops.
Image
User avatar
benc123
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:17 pm
Location: Derby, UK

Re: XF 87

Post by benc123 »

I can't find much on xf 87! Only a mention on britmodeller about it possibly being a semi gloss cote?
If it looks right, it is right.

My Portfolio

YouTube Chanel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBenc1234
Pierce
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:24 am
Location: Nebraska USA
United States of America

Re: XF 87

Post by Pierce »

You are all right it is XF 85 not sure why I put 87 sorry for the confussion
User avatar
ForbesHutton
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 1956
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:10 am
Location: To,On,Ca
Scotland

Re: XF 87

Post by ForbesHutton »

It should be at an LHS that's had a Tamiya order in the last 2 years. Or an American webstore.

If not you can order it from Canada : http://www.sunwardhobbies.ca/tamiya-acr ... bber-black he had at least a couple of bottles two weeks ago.
Image
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”