Page 2 of 2

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:00 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Awesome solution :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Plus you got to buy another tool, perfect reasoning :clap:
I was wondering where this build went to, now Happy it is back in track

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:02 pm
by Timplastic
Cheers
Yeah had put it too one side while I struggled with gaps and filling the Stuka

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:07 pm
by Lysus
Awesome plugs! Sometimes the best solutions really are the simplest :)

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:38 pm
by Timplastic
Made a big leap forward today

First off I stuck the head down!
That's it no going back now

So I pulled open the draw of dio stuff and started making the ground work
Image
For this I used standard wall filler paste with railway ballast and railway bolders mixed in
Image
This was then put on the base and then spread around using a wet old paint brush
ImageImageImage

Once that was all spread out I started adding static grass, long grass and some roots in the mud, this was held in place using white glue
Image
More and more layers where slowly added

Image
Image

So that's that stage done, primer next
Image

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:31 am
by Tomcat64
Just caught up with this one - absolutely fabulous work and a great concept :clap:

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:33 am
by Timplastic
Just a little update
The main base is dry so I turned my attention to the sides. Filler was again mixed but straight from the packet nothing added. This has had two layers added one day inbeteween each one so they had time too dry.
This will be sanded smooth. Not super smooth as I'm thinking of painting it in a metal finish. Give a slight rough texture like rolled metal bar.
It will get a full black primer and then start on the metal colours and then mud and grass ImageImage
Image

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:57 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Cool :th:
If I may ask, you didn't paint the head before attatching it to the base :scratch::
Doesn't that make it harder to spray and detail it, especiallly inside??? :think:
I would have finished the painting of the head first and then put it into the base

Like to hear your plan of attack as there is always more than one way to do something

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:21 am
by Timplastic
Yeah I had thought this over
The main colour on the head will be a metal finish so that can easily be applied. The detail at the bottom is quite easy to get too do not worried about that point.
I knew when applying the mud there was a good chance I was going to get it in places on the head that I might not want so damaging paint by removing it was quite likely.
That was my thinking
I hope it turns out ok with the paint, only time will tell

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:32 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Ya, I like the mud effect on the face...that spurred my question
I was like "if it was painted already, then it would look splashed on like it really rolled there"

You will make it work out, I have faith in your skills
:cheers2:

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:42 pm
by Kingdan
:jd: :jd: is it finished yet,looks amazballs Timmy :th: :th:


Dan

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:29 pm
by Lysus
Kingdan wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:42 pm :jd: :jd: is it finished yet,looks amazballs Timmy :th: :th:


Dan
Just the word I'd use. I hope you're happy with how it's coming together, Tim. I am...

ETA: Iron Giant sits in a soft spot of my heart, such a great movie.

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:15 am
by Bissyboat
Amazing! Looks like the head has been hurled to the ground. :th:

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:23 am
by Timplastic
Had the chance too get some primer down this evening.
Used the ever trusty Ultimate black primer. While the ab was out also primed my little girls model we are building.
Need to do some sanding on the head, it's a littl too even and some print marks are still visible.
So soon comes the colour, I'm really looking forward to getting some colour down :) Image

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:25 am
by Fridgy
Timplastic wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:23 am Had the chance too get some primer down this evening.
Used the ever trusty Ultimate black primer. While the ab was out also primed my little girls model we are building.
Need to do some sanding on the head, it's a littl too even and some print marks are still visible.
So soon comes the colour, I'm really looking forward to getting some colour down :) Image
Could almost use that as a dart :whistle:

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:12 am
by Timplastic
Ok well not had a chance to put paint on it, been working on a car kit.
What I have done is put the light in the head. It's one of those 99p led tea lights. It works perfect and gives that slight flicker I wanted. I will try and put a video up once photo bucket has finished with it
Image

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:29 pm
by Kingdan
Looks awesome Tim :eeek: :banana:

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:10 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Ya, how cool is that :banana: :banana: :banana:
Looks awesome on the live show with the light flickering like the head is slowly turning off
One of my favourite builds :thumb2:

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:32 am
by Timplastic
Cheers guys the light really did work well
I did a quick base paint last night. Well I wanted to just start with painting the head but I just carried on and got the base colours done. Lots more detail brush painting too come now. Also done buffable sort of paint or powder for the head ImageImageImageImage

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:13 pm
by Kingdan
Yeah boi :banana:

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:38 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Painted that like a champ
Looks awesome :thumb2: :th: :thumb1:

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:21 pm
by Timplastic
Really getting it moving along
Oils and pigments used
Got to let it dry and then do some washes
Image
ImageImage
Image
Image

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:21 pm
by Timplastic
Some black backed pictures
ImageImage

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:58 am
by Stokesy44
Just too good. And I love the lighting :th: :th: :th:

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:44 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
I hope you get to enter this in a model show...it is that unique and well done
:cheers2: for a super build, you did it up proud!!!

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:46 pm
by Timplastic
Thanks guys
I have been constantly adding more oils during the day on the mud and the grass. Grass I'm getting happy with and the mud I'm still working on
I will be taking it too a show a show at the middle of the month so we can see what they think

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:01 pm
by Lysus
This looks amazing...like that looks like you really just put some mud on a plate it looks so darned good...

Aces, man. Aces. :th:

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:43 am
by privatepete
Hi Tim, very well done it's certainly is unique and a very clever idea in the first place, good luck if you enter it in the model show :clap:

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:59 pm
by Lysus
Got a reveal thread coming?

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:10 pm
by Timplastic
Lysus wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:59 pm Got a reveal thread coming?
You think I'm finished messing around ?
Hahah I could seriously add and play around with these sorts of bases for a long time. But i will be having too draw a finished line underneath this one soon as there are builds that I want to do and ones I want too finish.

So I have been doing more work. Adding some detail too the grass as it looked far too uniform. I found my rptoolz leaf punch and set about making some plants. They where cut out and then individually stuck down with white glue. A bit labour intensive but well worth the effort.
ImageImageImageImage

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:11 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Now he is just showing off his gardening skills :mrgreen:
:clap:

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:29 am
by Lysus
Red head, green thumb.

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:36 am
by Timplastic
Haha yeah gardening skills lol

So tonight I worked on the base edges. I wanted it to give the impression of a big lump of iron ore. I used C1 metaliser first around the base and then Ultimate rust and mud too help give it the look of rust. The pictures make it look a lot pronounced than it is.
I'm very happy with the colours so far so now it's time too let dry and give it a final matte coat. Then apply some wet effects too the mud buff some edges of the head and then it's finished.

I'm still not decided what too do about a figure. If I see one that fits then it will be added if not I'm not just putting any figure on, it's got too be the right one.

ImageImage

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:38 am
by Timplastic
Lysus wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:29 am Red head, green thumb.
I'm not sure how too reply to that
:oops: :lol: :shock: :o :shifty:

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:25 am
by NorthernModeller
Superb work Tim :) top job

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:19 am
by Stokesy44
I really like the plants. You're just taking the mickey now with these extras. It just shows how such a small thing can have an impact :clap: :clap:

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:35 am
by Tomcat64
Absolutely stunning work and attention to detail :bow::

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:40 am
by Timplastic
Cheers guys
So after the show tonight I put down a matte coat.
ImageImage
The mud still looked a little flat so added a bit more pigments. Next up I wanted to add some water and some wet areas. The edges will need matting down so it blends in.
While I was pouring it in, it seemed too find a hole and kept draining threw the hole where the light goes. So it's going too need a few times being applied
Image
Image
Lots more fun ahead :crazy:

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:15 am
by Timplastic
Been working on the water
It ain't easy and a lot of work and layers had too be put down. Trying too block up holes where the water was leaking was a right pain, but I got there.
More pics will go on the reveal thread
Image

Re: Tims Iron Giant "Iron Head" 1/35 vignette

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:15 pm
by Bissyboat
Simply epic mate! :th: