Page 2 of 2

Re: BELKITS 1/24 ford fiesta WRC 2011

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:11 pm
by LWWales
paulowen7575 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:15 pm Hi Barry

The build is finished, sorry to have not posted on here but between trying to repeat posts on 3 forums and a slight telling off on this one, i've mainly posted elsewhere. I still need to take some finished photographs of the car and a small diorama I made to finish it off, but haven't had the chance due to starting a new build (to keep sane during lockdown, lol)

I may have taken a person's comment too much to heart, but found this forum hard going because of it and made the decision to only post to one of the three i'm a member of. Two kids to home school and a wife teaching certainly gave me less time too!

I'll see what I can do to continue the posts ASAP, and thanks for the interest

all the best mate
paul
Sorry to hear you've been put off slightly. It's such a shame as I think your work is excellent and it's really inspiring watching the build come along!

Re: BELKITS 1/24 ford fiesta WRC 2011

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:19 pm
by paulowen7575
I've just posted and it seems to have disappeared after submitting? So apologies if this is repeated

But thank you everyone who has posted today, especially barryf1fan for asking after my progress. You've made me realise that I should ignore one person Who'd likely had a bad day, and get back to finishing the posts on this one.

It'll take me a while, but thanks for the interest. I'll get it sorted asap

Re: BELKITS 1/24 ford fiesta WRC 2011

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:02 pm
by paulowen7575
OK, I think I've caught up to the right point in the build? This should be where I left off...

Had a play with opening up the door handles, not too bad. I have a renaissance detail kit with door handles and a split rear spoiler for this kit. I've experimented with a carbon fibre idea on the kit spoiler, so likely don't need the renaissance kit now.



Had a rummage through my stash of crap and found durapore tape I bought ages ago for the texture (I have a hoarding issue, lol). It has a pretty cool 1/24 carbon fibre stripe texture to it and is very stretchy and sticky, so I thought I'd try and wrap the spoiler.





Quite liked the result, so splashed some semi gloss black onto it and made it slightly more matte with dry brushing.







Quite like the results, more to follow

Re: BELKITS 1/24 ford fiesta WRC 2011

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:14 pm
by paulowen7575
Onto the body, and the decals
My god, the decals....

These may be the thickest and yet most brittle set of decals I've ever tried to use, between the struggle to get them to conform to any shape and trying not to let them tear somewhere, they've driven me insane. Not to mention the seat back carbon fibre that doesn't fit the kit seats. Not good enough for the price of these kits for me.

I have three other belkits model cars in the stash, and apart from the escort mk1 which I want to be a Roger Clark car, I will be buying aftermarket decals for both based on how these ones have (not) performed.

After using a LOT of micro sol, some micro set, a hairdryer, MORE micro sol and lots of patience, here are some pics of the tearing and poor fit that STILL occurred...









A special mention to the red decals for the rear and boot lid, in two pieces yet still expected to conform into the recessed area where the numberplate is. I think these two decals in particular are the result of some sort of bet between two of the most evil belkits employees?

So I've spent the day matching paints and touching up all of the areas of poor fitment and tearing. Not too unhappy with the results...













The day has ended badly too, as I've managed to lose the full painted front grille logo with Ford decal applied. It's just vanished πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I'm having a drink!

Re: BELKITS 1/24 ford fiesta WRC 2011

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:24 pm
by paulowen7575
Right, we'll, the nose badge hasn't shown up, so I've deffo thrown it away then πŸ™„

So I'm going to use the hobby design photo etch logo as a replacement. This should allow me to get the oval shape correct too.



Not bad for size either...



So I glued to a piece of 3mm thickness plastic and went at it, got it to shape first, then the right looking depth...







Sorted out some replacement louvres for each side, then painted and scraped back the logo





And here's the painted louvres in place and the finished replacement



Also had a play with the logo in the front mesh, decided to dab a semi dry brush through the stencil from the hobby design kit rather than airbrush as I had more control



Made a start on glossing up the body, thanks for looking as always, more soon!

Re: BELKITS 1/24 ford fiesta WRC 2011

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:34 pm
by paulowen7575
A few extra detail bits, I'm trying to keep momentum up but have a lot of little jobs to do to finish the car and a little diorama for the case. Here's an idea of the layout.





The wheels and tyres so far (just need some decals to finish them off. We have gravel and tarmac sets...





Removable lights using magnets inside the body..



The hobby design detail kit has some window opening details, which gave me an idea to remake the glass and use them. Used thicker clear plastic for the main part then a thin clear plastic for the small retracted window, both from packaging bits and bobs









Been masking up and prepping lots of bits and bobs today, only a few bits done with a brush rather than sprayed. headphones from KMP, a red electricity kill switch for the windscreen area, and an old faithful Tamiya pacenotes booklet with an added tape cover. The mallet is brush painted as I couldn't figure out how to attach it to a cocktail stick πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚



Airbrush day tomorrow hopefully, more soon


Thanks for looking
And hope everyone is keeping well πŸ‘

Re: BELKITS 1/24 ford fiesta WRC 2011

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:35 pm
by LWWales
Oh my! This is brilliant!

This is what I mean by inspiring, that tape for carbon fiber is such a brilliant idea!

Re: BELKITS 1/24 ford fiesta WRC 2011

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:44 pm
by paulowen7575
Updates



Last couple of days been back to home schooling and lots of prep, masking, re-masking etc etc etc. But we're getting there πŸ‘



I'm up to having windows in, spoiler on, and a lot of the diorama bits completely done too. Here are some pics of where I'm at, starting with an electric cut off switch, pace notes and headphones I showed last time all installed...







Then some shots of the installed windows..









And finally the wheels with full decals, luckily borrowed from another unused kit set for the gravel wheels, then weathered over. And the diorama parts, including a scratch made light rack to hold the removable lights...















Removable undertray parts



And a start on the diorama, Cork base to have some Tamiya tarmac effect paint soon, a lot of weathering, and some sort of tarp effect (still working this out and looking around the house for suitable supplies to make it πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚)



More soon, getting close now.

Hope you're all still well and sane, stay safe, and thanks for looking as always πŸ‘

Re: BELKITS 1/24 ford fiesta WRC 2011

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:48 pm
by barryf1fan
LWWales wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:35 pm Oh my! This is brilliant!

This is what I mean by inspiring, that tape for carbon fiber is such a brilliant idea!
Agreed! Amazing Brad Pitt goin' on here! Love it.

Image

Thanks for the update Paul - and again, just a joy to see it going together. :thumb1:

Interior = Amazing
Chassis = Amazing
Body = Amazing
Diorama = ON IT'S FREAKING WAY TO ** A M A Z I N G **

:bow::

Re: BELKITS 1/24 ford fiesta WRC 2011

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:55 pm
by paulowen7575
LWWales wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:35 pm Oh my! This is brilliant!

This is what I mean by inspiring, that tape for carbon fiber is such a brilliant idea!

Thanks LW, very kind! The tape was an experiment that kind of worked better than I thought it would, lol

And thanks Barry, it's your fault I've started posting again mate, I've got the taaaste

Re: BELKITS 1/24 ford fiesta WRC 2011

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:59 pm
by paulowen7575
Also found a quick way to copy and paste directly from the other forum. Which means I can post my new build afterwards quickly too

Re: BELKITS 1/24 ford fiesta WRC 2011

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:11 pm
by paulowen7575
Been having an experimental day with tarpaulin effects. This first version mocked up is simply a dark blue plastic bag. A bit too dark, but nice effect?



Raided the rest of the house for all sorts of craft paper, cellophane, whatever I could find. Remembered that I have some tracing paper left over, so had a crumple, which looked pretty good...



Also did a quick flicky splash of Tamiya black panel line over the 'tarmac' base to add oil stains and a bit of dry brush texture



Had a go at spraying the tracing paper, which took the paint well when airbrushed. Did a lighter coat, then covered with a glossy darker blue.



Sticking it down with micro crystal clear and working lengthways, sticking as I went, gave the tarp a nice wave effect across it which I quite like.

Added some old spare Ford logo decals, dry brushed oil and grease and flicked some more oil spots on there. Happy with the result, a good experimental day in lockdown! Lol





Maybe more here, possibly the last few posts. Then I can finally post on the finished work forum!

Re: BELKITS 1/24 ford fiesta WRC 2011

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:22 pm
by paulowen7575
Few small updates

I realised my light pods were the wrong colour and should be black not white, just after sticking the clear parts on! Oops. Here's the save...





Doors are one of the last things to finish, tried to recreate some of the small bags attached to the interior from reference pics...



Aerials for the roof today too, used some thin cable with very small heat shrink for the bottom 'connection' to the roof



The cable went through to the interior to make the aerials more secure, so to cover the black cables glued to the roof, I made a 'heat guard' material for the headliner area. You can just about make out the silver texture in this pic...



Started painting the door interiors and finishing the wing mirrors. I'll have to make a check list after that as it must be close to done now...

Re: BELKITS 1/24 ford fiesta WRC 2011

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:45 am
by PanzΓ³n
I was fascinated by your post on the tarpaulin. The results are spectacular!

Re: BELKITS 1/24 ford fiesta WRC 2011

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:24 am
by Bdiddy
all I can say is wow, the car is absolutely stunning & the job you've done on the tarp is out of this world! you sir are a master :bow:: :bow:: :pistols: :pistols: PS don't leave us in the dark with any future builds lol :nena:

Re: BELKITS 1/24 ford fiesta WRC 2011

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:37 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Ya this is really cool
Great tarp and I love the base :D

Re: BELKITS 1/24 ford fiesta WRC 2011

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:52 am
by barryf1fan
paulowen7575 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:59 pm Also found a quick way to copy and paste directly from the other forum. Which means I can post my new build afterwards quickly too
Glad I guilted'ya into coming back to the Dark Side!!! :banana:

Image

Re: BELKITS 1/24 ford fiesta WRC 2011

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:22 am
by paulowen7575
Pmslol
That you did

Re: BELKITS 1/24 ford fiesta WRC 2011

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:29 pm
by paulowen7575
Well, it's been finished a while, so I thought I'd take advantage of the sun today and taken some finished pics.

Here's a couple of them, I'm going to make a post in the ready for inspection section now too.









Thanks to everyone for all of the encouragement, tips, help, advice and general support. Special thanks to barryf1fan for dragging me back, lol

This one was a lockdown special and kept me sane(ish), but it's a privilege to be able to share the progress and have such positive comments throughout! πŸ‘πŸ‘

Re: BELKITS 1/24 ford fiesta WRC 2011

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:07 am
by Kevthemodeller
Superb build Paul, your attention to detail is amazing :banana: :bow:: :clap: :clap: