Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

User avatar
Radzy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 750
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:57 pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Radzy »

Hi,
I'd like to join the Group Build with Soviet self propelled gun ISU-152.

A little bit of history

During Operation Uranus (Stalingrad counter offensive) Red Army discovered that they were dramatically missing mobile anti-fortification units with Soviet ground forces being unable to deal with pillboxes and any heavier fortifications. In that time most of the Soviet guns and howitzers had to be towed which was a big problem in terrains where roads were very sparse with deep snow covers lying on fields. Therefore in late 1942 Committee of State Defence raised an issue to develop heavy self propelled gun that would utilise ML-20 howitzer (152,4mm calibre – please note that this is very close to 6” (155mm) light cruisers’ main armament of these times... that was a really massive cannon). That is how the prototype known as Object 236 (or KV-14) was created based on the chassis of KV-1S tank. This was later put into production as self propelled gun SU-152 (abbreviation from Russian самоходно-артиллерийская установка – CAY or simply CY)
The main armament – ML-20S howitzer was designed as a bunker buster weapon and as such no AP ordnance was delivered for crews, however the blast force of 152 mm HE rounds was so immersive it was capable to easily obliterate virtually any German tank – including Tiger, Panther tanks or Elephant tank destroyers –and that from any range. Although shell was barely capable of penetrating thick armours, but the blast was so fierce it simply ripped of turrets of enemy tanks or made their ammo racks or fuel tanks explode due to shockwaves. So with this lucky discovery Soviets got 2 in 1, bunker buster capable of destroying heavy fortifications and a heavy tank destroyer.
The ISU-152 was successor of SU-152 gun. Name comes from Russian самоходная установка на базе танка ИС – which means self propelled gun on IS tank chassis, and that was the main difference from SU-152. The armor plates were also thickened to better counter German heavy guns.
The total number of 3 242 units were built between Dec 1943 and 1947 when the production was stopped.
And below some pictures of ISU-152 I took in Polish Army Museum in Warsaw. According to plate this vehicle was used in 13th Polish SP Artillery Regiment in 1944/1945.
Image
Image
Image
 
The kit
For this build I decided to use Tamiya 1:35 scale kit 35303 ISU-152. I will use also aftermarket parts:
1) Decals from Toro Model 35D09 ;
2) RB Model 35B63 ML-20S gun cast in aluminium and brass.
I want to show my impressions how the vehicle with side number 341 could look like at the outskirts of Berlin in spring 1945. The vehicle belonged to 3rd battery of 13th Polish Self Propelled Artillery Regiment which was part of First Polish Army (in the East).
I’ll use acrylics for Vallejo and I’ll keep you posted about progress and all the stuff I'll use to make it look dirty and used.
Image
Image
Image

Regards,
Radek
WIP:
Tamiya 1:72 F4U-1 Corsair Birdcage
----------------------
My Portfolio
My YouTube Channel
User avatar
DC87
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1799
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:16 pm
Location: Exeter, Devon, UK
England

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by DC87 »

Glad to have you on board Radzy :welcome: . Nice history, didn't know it was designed as a bunker buster.

Best of luck.
Dan C

Filling the workbench with:
Sopwith Snipe late post war
WW1 RFC SE5a

WW1-1/32 Snipe
Workbench gets full with models being built - Buys another workbench!

Image
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Paul »

Yeah i like the 152, look forward to seeing it come together :thumb2:
User avatar
T3hGuppy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3467
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:20 pm
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by T3hGuppy »

Nice kit you got their.

Welcome aboard!! :thumb2:
On the bench

Too much to list. !!


Youtube channel:https://www.youtube.com/user/bnealuk
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Nige201980 »

Nice bit of history there mate look forward to your build.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by PhildaFish »

That's a beast of a cannon on there! This should be a very interesting build.
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
Gav0909
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2927
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Gav0909 »

That thing sounds like a total beast!

Looking forward to seeing this built up mate.
spruecutter
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 664
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:06 am
Location: Deeside, UK

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by spruecutter »

Some great photographs there, and an interesting kit. Looking forward to seeing this built.

Welcome and good luck

Pete
User avatar
Tiger131
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1701
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 3:44 pm
Location: walsall
England

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Tiger131 »

this is one of the soviet tanks on my wish list to build.......looking forward to seeing it getting under way
Image
User avatar
Bagpiper
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 6:12 am
Location: St. Louis. MO. USA
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Bagpiper »

Welcome to the group build. Looking forward to seeing your progress Radzy.

Good luck
Jim
UKscalemodeller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2062
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by UKscalemodeller »

Thats one big gun. Welcome to the gb.
User avatar
Radzy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 750
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:57 pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Radzy »

Update #1

Before update - thanks guys for cheering me on this project. The "Beast Slayer" is coming to life. This is how Soviets called SU & ISU 152 - beast slayers (in Russian: Зверобой ), because it killed all those German beasts.

And the update. So far it's fast and easy build. I have put all the hull parts and gun mount together. No much trouble except two things:
1) fitting lower and upper hull is not perfect - for the first time I had to use rubber bands in building tanks. It's probably because the upper hull consists of two parts that are fitted together with very thin sponsons and then all these elements put together must fit quite precisely to lower hull. Nevertheless with a little patience it fitted quite well, although a little bit of filler will be needed on front joint;
2) gun mounting - I followed the instructions and it led to creation of huge gap between gun mount and front armor plate (it was amlost 2cm hole break there! ). So I decided to remove elements that would allow gun to move (it's not necessary) and thanks to that everything fits perfect - so if you want to build this kit be careful at step 14th in the instruction sheet.

This is how the model looks like now:
Image
Image

Regards,
Radek
WIP:
Tamiya 1:72 F4U-1 Corsair Birdcage
----------------------
My Portfolio
My YouTube Channel
User avatar
DC87
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1799
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:16 pm
Location: Exeter, Devon, UK
England

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by DC87 »

Cheers for the advice on step 14. Looks great so far.

Is that your work replicating damage on the front left fender or is that out the box, either way it looks very nice.
Dan C

Filling the workbench with:
Sopwith Snipe late post war
WW1 RFC SE5a

WW1-1/32 Snipe
Workbench gets full with models being built - Buys another workbench!

Image
User avatar
T3hGuppy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3467
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:20 pm
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by T3hGuppy »

Looking great dude, :th:

How heavy is that barrel must weigh a fair bit?
On the bench

Too much to list. !!


Youtube channel:https://www.youtube.com/user/bnealuk
User avatar
Radzy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 750
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:57 pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Radzy »

DC87 wrote:Cheers for the advice on step 14. Looks great so far.

Is that your work replicating damage on the front left fender or is that out the box, either way it looks very nice.

I just twisted it a little bit to break the "monotony" :) I will probably make some dmg also to rear fenders and maybe some deep scratches on the side of hull to imitate some bounced shells.

Thanks DC !

@T3hGuppy
It's quite heavy. I had problems with fixing gun mount with it to the hull. It took me few attempts and some CA to help.
WIP:
Tamiya 1:72 F4U-1 Corsair Birdcage
----------------------
My Portfolio
My YouTube Channel
User avatar
panzerman
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:31 am
Location: Glen Burnie, Maryland

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by panzerman »

Great looking beast...that ISU-152. That turned aluminum barrel looks wicked good.
As far as your construction problems go....I've never built a model that didn't have some issue or problem.
I guess that's why they call it "Model Building" and not model assembly.....HaHaHa.
Keep building and having Fun.
Bill.
Image
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Paul »

Great work love the heavy look of this tank.
User avatar
hansolo
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:36 pm
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:
Netherlands

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by hansolo »

Hi and welcome. :welcome:
This is indeed a huge thing.
Have fun building. I'll be watching.

Cheers
Cheers
Hansolo

May the sprue be with you. :th:
User avatar
Lee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Lee »

Nice build so far Radek :D
Where does all the bloody time go.....?

Owner of Ultimate Modelling Products
User avatar
Bagpiper
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 6:12 am
Location: St. Louis. MO. USA
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Bagpiper »

These builds are looking fantastic. As mentioned above the heavy feel of this is amazing. Excellent work indeed mate.

Cheers
Jim
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Coen »

I was hoping that someone was going to model a Beast Killer.
Good on ya! :thumb1:
It will be cool to watch.
:D
User avatar
Radzy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 750
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:57 pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Radzy »

Update #2.

Hi,
Thanks guys for encouraging me to struggle with the beast.

I was on the business trip so I caught small delay ( I initially planned to finish it by Thu next week - on Friday I'll finally start my first part of holidays :)- but it'll probably be finished only after I return). Nevertheless I did some good progress.
Initially I just planned to cover it only with Russian Green primer from Vallejo (7x609) and then already go for decals. But as I took some excercises I decided to go with something I believe it's called post shading or something like that. So the general idea born in my mind was to go with 4 layers:

1) Vallejo Russian Green primer 7x609 - cover whole hull;
2) VMA Russian Green 71017 - cover middle of all hull parts;
3) VMA Russian Green 71017 mixed with VMA Middlestone 71031 (dunno exact proportions, but it was like 3-4:1; with that layer I covered just subtely any highlighted areas in middle of those from layer 2);
4) to mixture from layer 3) I added fiew drops of 71001 White and painted only top most covers (not all of them though and it was very, very subtle).

It's not this colour modulation stuff, because I find it too difficult yet and in fact it's not looking good to me, but for me the technique I tried looks brilliant on the single colour camouflages and as many of you probably know - break the monothony on the model.

Before I show you the model - I need some advice. Unfortunately I had a minor incident during painting when somehow airbrush cleaner drop managed to fall on top of tank and dilluted some paint... It left a badly looking mark in the very visible place. Any help with this thing? Here's the picture (in front of observation coupola, between hatches):

Image

And below some pictures of painted model. As this is my first attempt to use this use new technique I will really appreciate any comments from your side how I can improve it (I know though pics quality is not really reflecting how the model looks in real life):

Image
Image
Image
Image

Thanks,
Radek
WIP:
Tamiya 1:72 F4U-1 Corsair Birdcage
----------------------
My Portfolio
My YouTube Channel
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Nige201980 »

Looks great mate. I don't know to much about armour but could you work it in the weathering maybe.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
User avatar
Tiger131
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1701
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 3:44 pm
Location: walsall
England

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Tiger131 »

love the colour modulation spot on
Image
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Paul »

Nice work, for the mark, just airbrush over it with the same colour paint.
User avatar
Radzy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 750
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:57 pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Radzy »

Paul wrote:Nice work, for the mark, just airbrush over it with the same colour paint.
Paul,

I did that as this looked like the most obvious possibility. Unfortunately it's "still there". I will give it another try after all paints are well settled. If not, well I'm still going to do some two colour chippings, so I'll try to cover it a little bit :)

@All
I have one question.
Although I have bathed the model for 24hours, primed it correctly (this time the layers of primer were really thin and well covered all stuff) and painted afterwards. Still it seems that paint on this metal barrel I used is extremely fragile and cracks very easily... Should I do something before to get better adhesion?

Thanks,
Radek
WIP:
Tamiya 1:72 F4U-1 Corsair Birdcage
----------------------
My Portfolio
My YouTube Channel
User avatar
T3hGuppy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3467
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:20 pm
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by T3hGuppy »

Green looks really nice dude. :th:

Don't have enough experience to help with the barrel problem.

Though for the old metal war-gaming figures I use to coat of varnish over the primer then re-primed.
On the bench

Too much to list. !!


Youtube channel:https://www.youtube.com/user/bnealuk
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Coen »

For any metal barrel I always sanded it a little bit to give it a tiny bit of roughness, then start painting.
I've never used real primer so I can't help you with that.

I just used thinned flat black Model Master Acrylic to coat everything.
The sanding advice is the only useful bit I have for you.

Otherwise you got the post shading bang on Looks great.
I don't really know what colour modulation is, I've heard of it, but I've never used it that I know of.
What you've got going on there is called post shading.
User avatar
Daishi12
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1393
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:25 pm
Location: Mountain Ash, South Wales
Wales

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Daishi12 »

With regard to the barrel, with it being aluminium standard paints and varnishes will just sit on the metal and will not key in. When I was younger I worked as a commercial vehicle paint sprayer and we always used the same technique on bare metal which was as follows:-

1. Metal rubbed down and de-greased.
2. A self-etching primer was sprayed onto the metal.
3. The etch primer was gently sanded and dust removed from surface.
4. Undercoat sprayed on.
5. Top coat sprayed.

Each coat of etch primer/undercoat/top coat was baked on in a low bake spray booth.

The problem with self-etch primer is that it is a 2 part paint that contains both a hardener and an acid solution, and is nasty stuff to use (i.e. air fed masks, gloves, overalls etc are required)

I'm not sure how well it would work, but you might want to try putting some scrap aluminium/brass into some clear vinegar for acouple of hours and then trying some primer over the top. Obviously all metal parts would need to be painted separately if this does work.
W.I.P.

Revell 1/72 P-47M
Airfix 1/72 Bristol F2B Fighter

Technical Consultation for MrsModellor :- Tamiya 1/35 S.A.S. Pink Panther
User avatar
Bagpiper
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 6:12 am
Location: St. Louis. MO. USA
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Bagpiper »

Your paintwork is looking great. I think you've got the shades of colour very nicely done.

Very nicely done so far

Cheers
Jim
Last edited by Bagpiper on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed random babbling
User avatar
schweinhund227
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2627
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by schweinhund227 »

WOW

I love the Paint !

Wicked fading effect ! not borring at all...

Weathering is just perfect !

Keep up the good work !
that's going to be Stunning !
User avatar
Radzy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 750
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:57 pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Radzy »

Hi All,

first thanks again for encouraging me with the "ISU-152 project".

@Coen
thanks for tip, I sanded it a little bit , but still got an "issue" with paint. However it seems that after few days of drying it's much better now and it sticks to barrell much much better... (or simply I stick to the rule - better not touch too much :) ).

@Daishi
thanks for tip, it sounds too... smelly and complex -but the idea with vinegar seems indeed very promising. Maybe I will try it next time.

@Paul
I gave the paint another try with some gentle passes with 0.2 needle and low on pressure and the ugly paint problem was gone.

Now up to the update.

Update #3

I have gone pretty far with the model. It was coated with gloss varnish. I've added decals - I must say those Toro decals are superb - very thin, yet strong. They nicely stick to the plastic and all roughness of surface (although side plates on this ISU are quite... even). Next was another coat of gloss varnish followed by acrylic sepia pin wash from Vallejo. Afterwards I made the general oil wash with vanDyke Brown (it has a very nice dark brown - falling into almost black pigment) dilluted with Testors 090 white spirit - I must say I was quite suprised how quickly this thing dries in comparison to other dilluting mediums.
When I was fine with general wash I gave the model a coat of matt varnish to protect what I've done and then I applied dot filter with some green, yellow ochre, vanDyke brown and buff colours.
So this is how the dots looked like (with all things used):

Image

I used again Testors 090 spirit to wash dots and there are few pics of how the model looks now:

Image
Image
Image
Image

What do you think guys?
Should I leave it like it is now, or maybe try to pass it again with white spirit, especially on top armor plates (around hatches and engine compartment)?

Regards,
Radek
WIP:
Tamiya 1:72 F4U-1 Corsair Birdcage
----------------------
My Portfolio
My YouTube Channel
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Paul »

Awesome work.

If it were me i would give it another blend with white sprit on the turret roof, the engine cover in front of the grills and the very bottom of the turret sides. It just needs blending that little more i reckon and itll be perfect.
User avatar
Radzy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 750
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:57 pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Radzy »

Paul wrote:Awesome work.

If it were me i would give it another blend with white sprit on the turret roof, the engine cover in front of the grills and the very bottom of the turret sides. It just needs blending that little more i reckon and itll be perfect.
Yes, I thought so. It just looks too strong and it's too visible for filter... Good thing I didn't yet closed the layer with varnish :)

Thanks Paul.

Regards,
Radek
WIP:
Tamiya 1:72 F4U-1 Corsair Birdcage
----------------------
My Portfolio
My YouTube Channel
HobbyModeller
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 332
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 4:47 pm

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by HobbyModeller »

Fabulous work :)
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Nige201980 »

Looking great fella
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
User avatar
Gav0909
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2927
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Gav0909 »

I was going to try using this dot method to add some variation to the green tone of my M10, also to add some rain streaking etc.

Looks really good though, as Paul said perhaps a touch more blending in some areas to help it look less "patchy" and its grand!
User avatar
HamilkarBarkas
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1875
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 3:12 pm
Location: "Augschburg" Augsburg/Germany

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by HamilkarBarkas »

Love it! The faded paintwork looks superb, thank you for demonstrating this :)
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by PhildaFish »

Superb work on the paint job, it makes a huge difference to the look of it.
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
DC87
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1799
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:16 pm
Location: Exeter, Devon, UK
England

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by DC87 »

Coming along brilliantly.

I have just saved this thread on my computer for future reference as you techniques, the washes in particular, i am sure will be useful to me in the future.

Keep up the superb work
:cheers2:
Dan C

Filling the workbench with:
Sopwith Snipe late post war
WW1 RFC SE5a

WW1-1/32 Snipe
Workbench gets full with models being built - Buys another workbench!

Image
User avatar
Radzy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 750
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:57 pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Radzy »

Hello gents,

Again I'll start the update with big thanks for all supporters of my build :)

I'm really happy with your feedback and cheers. I'm encouraged to continue even more hearing that my work brings some good advice to you. I've watched many of youtube channels of ISM members (and some other too :) ) to learn techniques, skills and all around modelling stuff and in general - get back to "business", so it's fantastic to hear that I can start paying back my debt to you guys with showing my way of doing some things. Still I have to practice a lot, but... eehhh... enough with this pudency and buttering you up :) let's go to another update.

Update #4

I haven't gone far with the build (I'm just one day till holidays trip, so at work I have really barely time to piss and still need to get all the stuff prepared for trip), but I have a few words of advice and some small update with first part of tank plates chipped.

But as I said - advice first. After yesterdays suggestions from Paul I tried to add more subtlety for dot effects on top parts of tank...
I had problems with softening the filters on top of tank, it didn't work out with usage of any turpentines / solvents I have in my stash. As I didn't want ot ruin anything further, I just left it be for a while - I'll try to correct it further with pigments and some streaks.
There was also one more problem on front fender - it seems that from unknown reason some parts of the filter were ripped off. Doesn't look nice but I should fix it later with some other techniques.

I guess that one of or mix of some factors could be a problem here:
1) I put the filter on the matt varnish - maybe satin should be better...
2) maybe filter just dried hard enough to become problematic to solve it further with mineral spirits (unlikely);
3) the effect was result of reaction between talens white spirit and oil paints I used (e.g. 502 abteilung's turpentine was drying slower but didn't leave such light dust-like markings on my previous builds)
4) white spirit I used reacted with matt varnish (vallejo from spray) and got these effects.

Well milk is spoiled now (as we use to say in Poland), so I'll try to fix it later.

Here are two screenshots of the problematic areas:
Image
Image

But there are also some good things - I've started my work on two colour chipping effects (well in fact I use several paints to add variety).
The idea is to put some lighter shade of base colour on the edges, plates and whenever we decide chips could happen and then make another markings within these areas with some rust like paints.

So I did first attempt with following paints:
1) First layer:
- mix of VMA 71017 Russian Green & VMA 71033 Ochre
- mix of VMC 70967 Olive Green & VMA 71033 Ochre
2) Second layer
- VPA 302 Dark Rust
- VMC 70822 German Camo Black Brown

I must admin effects look really promising - with all combinations of above layers and colour mixes this looks really, really nice.
Just a quick overview of rear plate I've done so far:

Image
Image

I just need to practice steady hand as this is very recommended for this effect and maybe try some other fine brushes. Seems like the combinations of this these paints don't stick well to brushes so it took me sometimes several tries to leave visible colour marks.

That's all for now, I'll keep you posted.
Again - please give me feedback what you think about the build.

Regards,
Radek
WIP:
Tamiya 1:72 F4U-1 Corsair Birdcage
----------------------
My Portfolio
My YouTube Channel
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by PhildaFish »

My feedback is that this looks absolutely brilliant mate!
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Nige201980 »

^^ snap
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Paul »

Looks great to me, and the front fender just looks battle scared so don't worry about it.

Did you say you Matt varnished before filtering, I don't apply a varnish until all my weathering is done and dusted, if your using acrylic paints non of the enamel/white spirit based weathering techniques should effect it.
User avatar
Radzy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 750
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:57 pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Radzy »

Paul wrote:Looks great to me, and the front fender just looks battle scared so don't worry about it.
It looks rather like if the vehicle crashed into flour magazine :-) . Well that can be a good subject to diorama - bakery taken by suprise... or surrender yer bread :-D
Paul wrote:Did you say you Matt varnished before filtering, I don't apply a varnish until all my weathering is done and dusted, if your using acrylic paints non of the enamel/white spirit based weathering techniques should effect it.
In my case I used two layers of oil/enamel based stuff - general wash and then dot filter. As both are dilluted with mineral spirit I used matt varnish coat to protect one from other. This was a best practice from my previous builds and reading articles about weathering processes ( well it looks fairly logical to separate these with varnish).

Nevertheless as you say it doesn't look that bad.
I hope I'll have some time to make some progress in the afternoon. Otherwise I'll have a whole week break due to ... holidays, finally ! :-)

Radek
WIP:
Tamiya 1:72 F4U-1 Corsair Birdcage
----------------------
My Portfolio
My YouTube Channel
User avatar
hansolo
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:36 pm
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:
Netherlands

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by hansolo »

I sea the little problems that you have but for the rest:
Absolutely Bloody amazing weathering there!!!
Cheers
Hansolo

May the sprue be with you. :th:
User avatar
Bagpiper
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 6:12 am
Location: St. Louis. MO. USA
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Bagpiper »

This is just amazing. Very well described too - another great update

Cheers
Jim
User avatar
Radzy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 750
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:57 pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Radzy »

Thanks Han,

Jim,
I'm trying to keep it as detailed as possible. I know how hard it was to learn all this stuff from any online resources or magazine previews where it was mentioned only what techniques were used and some overall overview of used materials or paints. It wasn't easy to follow for unfamiliar user. Hence with keeping it detailed I want to help all those who'll be in the same very beginning of their modelling life .... and also for myself - just in case I forget :-)

Radek
PS fact is that I don't like practice that much, so in most cases it's a 'combat recce' for me if you know what I mean :-)
WIP:
Tamiya 1:72 F4U-1 Corsair Birdcage
----------------------
My Portfolio
My YouTube Channel
spruecutter
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 664
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:06 am
Location: Deeside, UK

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by spruecutter »

A very effective weathering treatment :thumb1: Nice one
User avatar
Lee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Tamiya 1:35 ISU-152 Soviet heavy SP

Post by Lee »

Looks great Radek :th:
Where does all the bloody time go.....?

Owner of Ultimate Modelling Products
Post Reply

Return to “Builds”