pre-painted PE

Post Reply
User avatar
shortCummins
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1646
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:30 pm
Location: Cotgrave, Nottingham
Great Britain

pre-painted PE

Post by shortCummins »

so while building my Swordfish for the In the Navy SiG I'm using some pre-painted PE from Eduard I had a wee bit of a problem bending the 'main' harness straps over the seat as the 'paint' cracked and flaked off, I managed to glue it back in place but I'm not sure how I could have bent this without it cracking? :bash: as its pre-painted so it can't be annealed?

any suggestions?

rgds
John(shortCummins)
"I'm tall for my height" - "it looks like it was painted by a blind chimpanzee"
User avatar
MarkVerploeg
Major
Major
Posts: 4837
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:21 am
Location: Oss, Noord Braband The Netherlands
Netherlands

Re: pre-painted PE

Post by MarkVerploeg »

I think it is due to the part itself
It is not really painted but it is a kind of printed foil that is on there
But i made seatbelts for my Thunderbolt a few days ago and i didn't have any problems with them
So maybe it is just a one time incident
On the bench
GB builds
1/35 Trumpeter M1132 ESV

Personal builds
1/35 Hobby Boss M1070 tractor with M1000 semi trailer and Meng M1A2 TUSK II Abrams
1/35 Takom V2 rocket with the Meillerwagen and SS100 tractor
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: pre-painted PE

Post by chief5437 »

It's pretty delicate stuff, and will crack if bent too sharply, or often. Easy to touch up with paint once in place though!
Chief
User avatar
Alkosh
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:27 pm
Contact:

Re: pre-painted PE

Post by Alkosh »

I'm having the same problem with my MiG-21MFN set. Just trying to file or sand the PE is causing the printing to flake off and it's impossible to bend this stuff around a curve without it flaking off. A large part of the color PE sidewall on my MiG-21 flaked off just by holding it in place...

I don't think I'll buy any more of it.
Post Reply

Return to “Photo-etch & Resin”