Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post Reply
User avatar
Timplastic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am
Location: French quarter
Contact:
UN

Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by Timplastic »

I have decided too put in another build too this Russian GB
Image
The kit was not planned and was bought on a whim as I had seen it cheap on a selling page over on FB.
I had seen this built by John Bellos and it looked like a nice little build. John had added the extra Eduard etch set which includes the flap set. I have chosen too get the quick boost resin flaps and resin exhaust. This should add a little extra detail.
For paints I have ordered the Akan early war Russian set which I'm looking forward too using.
There is a great choice of finishes in this kit and I may have too get another just too build one of the other variants.
Image
Image
ImageImage
I'm still too decide but the two on the short list are 42 which was flown by a Russian pilot with a high kill rate. He also flew mig 21s and I may be able too do two of his planes he flew
Or
Shark mouth 24 flown by a free French pilot in the Russian airforce.
I'm still yet to decide
I will put up cockpit progress this afternoon
Image
Image
Image
Shots of what you get in the box
I like to know what you think even if it is critique , If you spotted it let me know
Trying to finish what I started, and take part

My youtube channel that needs some updates
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQvLz ... subscriberImage
jbellos1
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:23 pm
Location: Scottsville, NY, USA
United States of America

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by jbellos1 »

Nice Tim - I really liked the kit, myself - interesting looking bird for sure.

Great choice.
User avatar
Timplastic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am
Location: French quarter
Contact:
UN

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by Timplastic »

A quick description of the kit
It's a 1998 accurate miniatures base kit with added etch, mask set and a wonderful decal sheet options.
The mild of the parts is really good very little flash. The detail and panel lines are very nice.
As with most plane builds it starts with the cockpit.
The detail is good. There is added etch for it. New control panels instruments and adjustment wheels. It's not all needed, the original detail is well done so I did not cut off the plastic adjustment wheels.
The seat parts fold which is not that great and needed clamping and masking to get it too dry in the correct shape
The lower floor is similar that the bulk head part folds up and is glued and held in place by the outer frame
Image
These are the parts ready for primer
Primer paint and thinner used
Image
Black primer down
Image
So with that dried over 24 hours tonight I could get on and spray the base colour on and add the detail colours. I'm happy with it all except the seat, I'm going too redo that Image
It's all glossed with alclad Aqua gloss ready for wash's tomorrow
Tim
I like to know what you think even if it is critique , If you spotted it let me know
Trying to finish what I started, and take part

My youtube channel that needs some updates
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQvLz ... subscriberImage
heel
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:29 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by heel »

Nice Tim. Looking forward to more!
peppie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:10 pm
Location: Boskoop Holland
Netherlands

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by peppie »

This looks like a serious nice kit, with some great detail :th:

Like what you did this far, very neat.
What's wrong with the seat, why don't you like it?
Joined this forum to become a better modell builder. Now, if I can just put away my laptop and start building..

On the Bench:

Piper PA-18-150
Ford GPA
GMC cckw 1947
Ford V3000 "Bello"
User avatar
Timplastic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am
Location: French quarter
Contact:
UN

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by Timplastic »

Thanks guys

Peppie I painted the seat and then dry brushed it, but not happy with it
I have the recent mig ammo series of books and they show how too do the seats. I will re paint it in that style.
I will take pics of the before and after
I like to know what you think even if it is critique , If you spotted it let me know
Trying to finish what I started, and take part

My youtube channel that needs some updates
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQvLz ... subscriberImage
User avatar
Lego
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:16 pm
Location: Ireland
Ireland

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by Lego »

That is coming along nicely

:th:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
Smiffy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:45 am

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by Smiffy »

Looking good so far Tim.
User avatar
Timplastic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am
Location: French quarter
Contact:
UN

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by Timplastic »

Agh thanks guys

So a pic of how the seat looks now.
Image
The back has just been dry brushed not happy with how it looks

This is how I would like it too look
Image

Let's give it ago :th:
I like to know what you think even if it is critique , If you spotted it let me know
Trying to finish what I started, and take part

My youtube channel that needs some updates
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQvLz ... subscriberImage
User avatar
Timplastic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am
Location: French quarter
Contact:
UN

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by Timplastic »

Ok I think I got a much better finish on the seat.
Also applied Ultimate dark dirt over the cockpit.
Letting it dry tonight for some Matt coat tomorrow
Image
Image
Image
I like to know what you think even if it is critique , If you spotted it let me know
Trying to finish what I started, and take part

My youtube channel that needs some updates
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQvLz ... subscriberImage
User avatar
P51dplt
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:05 am
Location: Nut Tree, California

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by P51dplt »

Looking great!
Simple is better, except when complicated looks really cool.
User avatar
Timplastic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am
Location: French quarter
Contact:
UN

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by Timplastic »

Thanks Brant

Cockpit is finished and all put together ImageImageImage
That was a nice part too build
The added eduard etch in the kit really makes it look good
So next step is sort out the exhausts before the two halves are joined. The opening in the kit is tight and at one end too tight so the opening has been opened up. Next is too mount the quick boost resin on to strips so they can be easily fitted after painting
Image

Resin parts on left original on right
Image
I like to know what you think even if it is critique , If you spotted it let me know
Trying to finish what I started, and take part

My youtube channel that needs some updates
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQvLz ... subscriberImage
User avatar
Lee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by Lee »

Nice office there Timothy...... :th:
Where does all the bloody time go.....?

Owner of Ultimate Modelling Products
heel
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:29 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by heel »

What Lee said. Awesome job on the interior. Can't wait to see the rest.
Dragon64
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:45 pm
Scotland

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by Dragon64 »

Nice looking kit and you have made an amazing job of the interior. Thanks for sharing will be following this.

Cheers

Tommy
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

I will dogpile on and say what a great job you did on the cockpit
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Timplastic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am
Location: French quarter
Contact:
UN

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by Timplastic »

Well thank you all for dog pilling on :D

So the resin exhausts and the fuselage has been joined up
The resin exhausts are single pieces that have to be cut off and glued Inside the exhaust outlets
Too make life easy I stuck the parts to some evergreen strip and then glued them from behind
Image
Image
Image

With those dry it was time too slowly go around and glue it closed.
A small piece of etch was added before the top half will be stuck on
Image
Image

Next big step is making the landing flaps fit. It says too thin the kit parts down but they are already very thin
I see this step being fun and including extra evergreen
Image
Image
That's it let the Monday be a good day
I like to know what you think even if it is critique , If you spotted it let me know
Trying to finish what I started, and take part

My youtube channel that needs some updates
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQvLz ... subscriberImage
User avatar
Timplastic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am
Location: French quarter
Contact:
UN

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by Timplastic »

I have been working on the little yak but can't show too much so far
Lots more parts removed and getting ready for assembly.Image
On the lower fuselage the kit supplies plastic and etch cooling flaps. The etch items are nice and thin but the rear one is missing surface detail so I thinned down the kit part. For the front one I will use the etch part
Image
You can see the rivet detail on the flap and the rivets I need to redo as they have been last during cleaning the join Image
The wing fuel gauges have been installed from behind the clear part. The kit shows them dropping in the hole but they are far too large for that Image
While working on the wings I added som additional support for the centre span and have been trying too work out how too install the landing flaps with out loosing wing shape Image
So a quick test and it is all looking like a good fit
Image
I like to know what you think even if it is critique , If you spotted it let me know
Trying to finish what I started, and take part

My youtube channel that needs some updates
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQvLz ... subscriberImage
User avatar
Timplastic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am
Location: French quarter
Contact:
UN

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by Timplastic »

Got the wings glued together.
Only one wing needed a little sanding too get a good fit. Very happy with the kit for the fit on these and when dropping the fuselage in it fits very well a little clamping and elastic bands will be needed to get it too match up.
I have made a start on one of the wing landing flaps. It was not too hard too but the kit part out, but patience was needed son I did not spoil the wing.
A fair bit thinning the resin part and the wing edges was needed. The fit if the resin is not too bad. There is a gap at the larger end so plastic card will need to fill that in
Image
Next is glue it in and cut the other wing, hope it goes as well as the first one
I like to know what you think even if it is critique , If you spotted it let me know
Trying to finish what I started, and take part

My youtube channel that needs some updates
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQvLz ... subscriberImage
User avatar
Avgas
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2819
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Englandshire
Equatorial Guinea

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by Avgas »

Excellent job on the pit, as good as any I've seen on here.
Regards, Dave.
User avatar
Timplastic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am
Location: French quarter
Contact:
UN

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by Timplastic »

Thank you very much Dave :cheers2:
I like to know what you think even if it is critique , If you spotted it let me know
Trying to finish what I started, and take part

My youtube channel that needs some updates
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQvLz ... subscriberImage
User avatar
Novorus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:03 pm
Location: Hertfordshire
Great Britain

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by Novorus »

Looking really cool their Tim, the cockpit it outstanding
James
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZnEdt ... s3LTfQW4Eg Remember like, share and subscribe
Remember the 20th March 2020 is the Model Officer Mess birthday bash, come and join in."Fokker's Foe's"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/217021638777483/
User avatar
Timplastic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am
Location: French quarter
Contact:
UN

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by Timplastic »

Right as time is running out I best pull my finger out and get on with the little yak
Finally got the resin flaps sorted. Will probably stay clear of those for a while a lot of fiddle they were
So I'm going to get this sorted and primed soon as
Image
I like to know what you think even if it is critique , If you spotted it let me know
Trying to finish what I started, and take part

My youtube channel that needs some updates
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQvLz ... subscriberImage
User avatar
Timplastic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am
Location: French quarter
Contact:
UN

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by Timplastic »

Wings all stuck on
A fare few areas of filling needed these accurate miniatures don't have the perfect fit
Image
Still see some of the interior it will have the canopy open
Image
I like to know what you think even if it is critique , If you spotted it let me know
Trying to finish what I started, and take part

My youtube channel that needs some updates
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQvLz ... subscriberImage
User avatar
Timplastic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am
Location: French quarter
Contact:
UN

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by Timplastic »

So I was getting so close to getting primer on. Just geting the canopy stuck so before it gets stuck you got to give it a bit of polish. So what you don't do is break it in half
Image
Ow well new one ordered.
I can get on and get the wheels, under carriage and prop finished
Image
Image
I like to know what you think even if it is critique , If you spotted it let me know
Trying to finish what I started, and take part

My youtube channel that needs some updates
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQvLz ... subscriberImage
Schoof
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2165
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:09 am
Location: Veghel, Noord-Brabant, The Netherlands

Re: Tims YAAAAAK !!!!!

Post by Schoof »

Time to get in gear.... only two weeks left
On the Bench:

Uhm. .... That. ..... And. .. uhm. ... That. ..... And. ..... uhm. ..... That. .... And. ... uhm. .. :( waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much
Post Reply

Return to “Builds”