Page 1 of 1

How do you deal with losing parts?

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:15 am
by newmodeler
So I was working on a Bandai Evangelion kit and I cut a part from the sprue and it went flying. Of course I am not able to find it. I was wondering how you all deal when something like this happens? Does Bandai offer replacement parts?

Re: How do you deal with losing parts?

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:31 am
by Lysus
Well, Bandai replaces defective parts for free + postage (90-400¥) and will replace lost parts for a small fee (like 60-800¥) but that's only in Japan. If you have a friend there, then you're all set. This is the page to do it on: http://bandai-hobby.net/SC/

There's instructions if you scroll down a bit complete with pictures of what to cut out and send in. (You're looking for the section with "部品注文のしかた 2015" in the header).

Otherwise, maybe find another one on eBay on the cheap?

What part went missing? Is it something that could be fabricated or was it a complex piece? If it was just some polycap you can order a large variety through places like Hobby Link Japan.

If it needs to be fabricated and you think you can do it, I'm not your man, but there's a a zillion here who could help with that.

Alternatively, get on your hands and knees with a magnifier and a bright light and fight that carpet monster for your piece back.

Re: How do you deal with losing parts?

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:33 am
by burnie43
I SWEAR....CRAWL ABOUT WITH A LIGHT....THEN I HAVE A CUPPA AND TRY AND MAKE A REPLACEMENT IF IT'S NOTICEABLE......THEN I THROW A TARP OVER THE MISSING BIT,,,,,,VOILA
Cheers
Mark

Re: How do you deal with losing parts?

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:43 am
by InitialProduction1
I cut the parts while there still in the plastic bags, then cut a tip off the bag, then I just slide the parts out on the work table, no more ping well MF UGH%€_#$!!^. Lol. For PE I use frog tape wrapped around a small piece of cardboard, sticky side up, stick the PE to the tape and cut PE with hobby knife, no more ping OMG%&^/=!! $÷. Lol.

Re: How do you deal with losing parts?

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:20 pm
by RobertK
I usually hide the problem or scratch build a new part.

Re: How do you deal with losing parts?

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:08 pm
by Damonkh
Scratch build or hide the problem.
One trick I learned a long time ago with tiny bits is to put a bit of tape on the sprue ensuring the bits are sticking to it. Then I cut. Also if you're REALLY steady and able, sometimes I heat up the exacto blade and nick the bit off the sprue. Leaves a bit to clean up which can be a real PITA, but ensures I don't ping the bloody things.

Another thing I did when I had carpeting was I got one of those big hard plastic things that you put under your chair. That helped a bit as well.

Re: How do you deal with losing parts?

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:54 pm
by Willem
burnie43 wrote:I SWEAR....CRAWL ABOUT WITH A LIGHT....THEN I HAVE A CUPPA AND TRY AND MAKE A REPLACEMENT IF IT'S NOTICEABLE......THEN I THROW A TARP OVER THE MISSING BIT,,,,,,VOILA
Cheers
Mark
Happened to me numerous times. I've emptied the waste paper basket several times (how the hell did it land there?) and even taken an old carpet up in the man cave looking for a piece of engine that wouldn't be seen. :wtf:

The law of Sod states that two to three months after replacing/ scratch-building a part the part will magically appear, usually during a finger tip search for something else on another build.

Probably doesn't help you much other than letting you know that we all suffer and we all feel your pain.

:cheers2:

Re: How do you deal with losing parts?

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:05 pm
by aur0ra145
If I don't find it in a minute, I just move on. From working on firearms with springs and little pins, I cut small stuff in a box to catch it if it flies off.

Re: How do you deal with losing parts?

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:36 pm
by MajorTom2004
I let my dog search for it. If he finds, he is allowed to eat it :D

Re: How do you deal with losing parts?

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:12 pm
by MarkB15
I tell my wife what I've lost, give her a general description. Go to work, come home, Magic.

Re: How do you deal with losing parts?

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:43 pm
by ForbesHutton
I just hide the missing bit with a camo net. The joys of armour building...

Re: How do you deal with losing parts?

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:33 pm
by Akula1959
Copious and loud blue language and asking for 'minions' help. The joys of having a 5 and 7 year old as 'helpers'. :D

DonP

Re: How do you deal with losing parts?

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:47 pm
by Spook
Lots and lots of cursing make a brew while cursing,then try to source or make the part with abit more cursing thrown in for good measure. :evil: