Page 1 of 1

Help with Vallejo paint

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:49 pm
by InitialProduction1
I see a bunch of people using Vallejo paints, so I started buying it, a lot of it, and it seems to work very well for them, but when I used it I can scratch it off with my fingers, what am I doing wrong? I like Tamiyas paints and never had anything like this. Love humbrol paints, but never enough paint in the can/tin or what ever they call it. So what am I doing wrong With Vallejo?

Re: Help with Vallejo paint

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:14 pm
by Avgas
Don't know, never had any problems with it. When you say you scratch it off with your fingers do you mean you are scraping it off with your fingernails?

Re: Help with Vallejo paint

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:01 pm
by InitialProduction1
Yea, I was looking at it and admiring the way the paint looked, then I had seen a blemish on it, took my finger and tried to rub it down, and my finger nail scratched the paint , then I looked up on YouTube to see if anyone else had this trouble, yes some but no one knows why, so I'm looking for why? Or should I go back to my old way. By the way the paint primer with black Vallejo.

Re: Help with Vallejo paint

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:16 pm
by HamilkarBarkas
Observed a similar thing with my Vallejo air paints. When you sand over the paint it peels off like a foil. never saw that before with my Revell paints. I do not consider that to be an issue though. Since i know about it i act accordingly.

Re: Help with Vallejo paint

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:33 pm
by JET
I had this happen when I tried this paint, it peels off like a skin of latex lol. Never used them again.

Re: Help with Vallejo paint

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:49 pm
by gustavlekstal
I use vallejo with a brush. The bestest to brush. Outstanding qualities. To airbrush... No... Nothing beats tamiya or Gunze. Its more no peeling friendly aswell as you noticed. :eeek:

Re: Help with Vallejo paint

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:51 pm
by StarFar
HamilkarBarkas wrote:Observed a similar thing with my Vallejo air paints. When you sand over the paint it peels off like a foil. I do not consider that to be an issue though.
Yes, it's not an issue, because Vallejo paints contain acrylic resin. I think, that's why it is so good for brush painting but you can't sand it. From my experience, Vallejo has slightly worse adhesion compared to Gunze or Tamiya paints and the main requirement - apply it in thin layers, giving some time to dry between them. In the other case, adhesion will be very poor.

Re: Help with Vallejo paint

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:42 am
by InitialProduction1
Thanks to all! back to tamiya. I do love the range of colors Vallejo give us. But looks like all brush from now on with the Vallejo.

Re: Help with Vallejo paint

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:11 pm
by Warren
Saw a few youtube videos on Vallejo paint peeling. It seems the consensus was that the primer was not allowed to cure properly before the paint application. According to these commentators, the Vallejo primer needs to cure for 48 hours. They indicated that if the primer was hand brushed not to dilute it. If the primer was airbrushed a very very small dilution only.
I am not an expert on this subject having just returned to modelling after 30 years. I am just passing on what I have seen on various youtube videos.

Warren

Re: Help with Vallejo paint

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:38 am
by Madmattmodels89
I recently bought a good amount of Vallejo paints, I use them thinned in my air brush with no issues. I also use self etching primer allowing it to dry 24 hours before I apply the Vallejo colors. I love the way the color looks after dry.

This tank is all done with Vallejo ( base and shades)

Image

Re: Help with Vallejo paint

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:37 pm
by lv2bf111
Remember that Vallejo is a pure acrylic paint unlike Tamiya or Mr.Hobby. This means that you have to have a good primer coat and they must be sprayed a little differently. This video shows how to spray Ammo colors, but they are the same technology as the model airs so it works well. The point is they are different then non pure acrylics and have to be handled a little differently. I had to learn this the hard way trust me. I have found that with the proper technique they tend to be as strong if not stronger then Tamiya. The other benefit I have seen from the pure acrylics is they seem to be much stronger and less visually affected after a clear coat.


Re: Help with Vallejo paint

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:56 pm
by Vleugelmoer
As Vallejo have several color / paint lines out there it would be nice to define which paint line / range of paint you are experiencing difficulty with..

I use the Vallejo Model Color line of paints both with the old hairy sticks as thru the airbrush. And have experienced something similar to what is described in my early day back in the hobby back in 2012. It was cause my surface contamination that I did not remove and the lack of a good primer. After dealing with those two issues never had a problem with them again. Do steer clear of there own line primer that wouldn't even stick if its life depended on it.

As always happy modeling and keep sticking styrene.

Paul

Re: Help with Vallejo paint

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:15 pm
by gaz45
I have just started having issues with my vajello air paints they are still fine for brush painting but as for through an airbrush even when thinned they are not so good. I have only had them for about 12 months and they are kept inside

Re: Help with Vallejo paint

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:09 pm
by InitialProduction1
I sprayed just the Vallejo primer black, and let it set three days, and it came right off? Did this twice, oh I thinned the first time two drops in my color cup. second time, I used nothing. I love the range of colors they have, but wow what a pain. , I bought Vallejo model air, and model color, and Panzer Aces, can anyone help please.

Re: Help with Vallejo paint

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:32 pm
by Vleugelmoer
Here's a little something that might help. Model Air 15 to 20% thinner and two drops of flow improver (71.262, 17 ml; 71.362, 32 ml; 71.462, 60 ml and 71.562, 200 ml) for every 10 drops of paint. For model color and panzer aces 65 to 70% and same amount of flow improver should get you to a workable paint @ around 15 to 20 odd PSI.

Hope this sorts out your problem.

As always happy modeling and keep sticking styrene.

Paul

Re: Help with Vallejo paint

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:10 am
by digger303
I must be dense , but I.m confused as to what you mean.
71.562, 200 ml....
I can understand 20% thinner, 2 drops of retarder and 10 drops of paint( which ain't much, but for me this 71.262, 17 ml....do you mean 71ml of thinner to 17ml paint...which doesn't make sense either....confused I am.

Re: Help with Vallejo paint

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:30 am
by Vleugelmoer
digger303 wrote:I must be dense , but I.m confused as to what you mean.
71.562, 200 ml....
I can understand 20% thinner, 2 drops of retarder and 10 drops of paint( which ain't much, but for me this 71.262, 17 ml....do you mean 71ml of thinner to 17ml paint...which doesn't make sense either....confused I am.
Digger mate, the 71.### numbers, are the Vallejo product numbers. The ml's indicated after the product number are the bottle sizes.

As to the thinning ration of 20% dilution of the paint, comes to two drops of thinner to every 10 drops of paint.

And this ration is for the Vallejo Model Air range only. Other paints by Vallejo or any other manufacturer will require different thinning ratios.

Hope this clarifies it for you. If not just quote me and I'll get back to you on this matter.

As always happy modeling and keep sticking styrene.

Paul

Re: Help with Vallejo paint

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:48 am
by digger303
Vleugelmoer wrote:
digger303 wrote:I must be dense , but I.m confused as to what you mean.
71.562, 200 ml....
I can understand 20% thinner, 2 drops of retarder and 10 drops of paint( which ain't much, but for me this 71.262, 17 ml....do you mean 71ml of thinner to 17ml paint...which doesn't make sense either....confused I am.
Digger mate, the 71.### numbers, are the Vallejo product numbers. The ml's indicated after the product number are the bottle sizes.

As to the thinning ration of 20% dilution of the paint, comes to two drops of thinner to every 10 drops of paint.

And this ration is for the Vallejo Model Air range only. Other paints by Vallejo or any other manufacturer will require different thinning ratios.

Hope this clarifies it for you. If not just quote me and I'll get back to you on this matter.

As always happy modeling and keep sticking styrene.

Paul
bottle numbers.....the penny drops....thanks

Re: Help with Vallejo paint

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:55 am
by Vleugelmoer
digger303 wrote:bottle numbers.....the penny drops....thanks
Welcome mate, glad to be able clarify this conundrum for Ya :th:

Have a nice one.