Any WWII Railway Experts Out There? Help Please.

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
OneSmallStep1966
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:37 pm
Location: Herne Bay, Kent (UK)
England

Any WWII Railway Experts Out There? Help Please.

Post by OneSmallStep1966 »

I'm in the process of building Dragon's 1:35 Schwerer Plattformwagen Typ Ssy and have now completed the assembly, primed it in Ultimate Black and about to start final painting, but I'm confused about the metal chaises colour indicated in the instructions that state Mr Hobby Aqueous Color Acrylic H12 Flat Black.
I'd have thought German Grey (and most pictures of this model appear to be German Grey), so does anyone know for sure?

Image
IMG_2088.jpg
IMG_2096.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: Any WWII Railway Experts Out There? Help Please.

Post by Kevthemodeller »

I'm no expert but I've found this, which my be of use, or give you links to other areas.
http://www.lzmodels.com/135-German-SSyl ... wagon.html

Seems to show them as black but the tank on it I would say is a Leopard so could be anytime from the 70's on wards, that said from my experience many military designs haven't changed much since they were invented. What I mean is how many ways can you move a tank on a railway and "if it works" why mess with it, so it's likely this is the very same design as WW2, all be it this may well be post war due to most having been destroyed or just worn out. From the period black and white photos it's hard to determine the colour other than it's dark. Some appear to be very dark which would suggest black, others not so these could be brown and lighter could be grey, I think it's possible they would be any of the above. I would also suggest they wouldn't be in the best condition especially late war possibly just red oxide over rusty areas or just rust!
Last edited by Kevthemodeller on Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Any WWII Railway Experts Out There? Help Please.

Post by digger303 »

OneSmallStep1966 wrote:I'm in the process of building Dragon's 1:35 Schwerer Plattformwagen Typ Ssy and have now completed the assembly, primed it in Ultimate Black and about to start final painting, but I'm confused about the metal chaises colour indicated in the instructions that state Mr Hobby Aqueous Color Acrylic H12 Flat Black.
I'd have thought German Grey (and most pictures of this model appear to be German Grey), so does anyone know for sure?

Image

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2096.jpg

I am no expert, but Libor is very knowledgable.
I have one of his early kits of the ssy flatcar 50t
HE says black is the way to go.

http://www.lzmodels.com/135-German-SSys ... wagen.html
http://www.lzmodels.com/35113/german_sc ... ctions.pdf scroll down to painting instructions after your gob smacked with his attention to detail
:th:

cheers
Ian

ps...if you email him. He will reply...nice guy.
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
OneSmallStep1966
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:37 pm
Location: Herne Bay, Kent (UK)
England

Re: Any WWII Railway Experts Out There? Help Please.

Post by OneSmallStep1966 »

Thanks for the input guys, it would seem black is the way to go :th:

Does anyone know how close a match Ultimate Black Primer is to Mr Hobby H12?
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Any WWII Railway Experts Out There? Help Please.

Post by digger303 »

sorry
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: Any WWII Railway Experts Out There? Help Please.

Post by Kevthemodeller »

OneSmallStep1966 wrote:Does anyone know how close a match Ultimate Black Primer is to Mr Hobby H12?
I'm guessing your thinking just leave it in primer coat? I'm not sure that's a good idea not sure how it would react to weathering/decals etc, I'm no expert but I don't think I would do that, I'd top coat it.
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
OneSmallStep1966
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:37 pm
Location: Herne Bay, Kent (UK)
England

Re: Any WWII Railway Experts Out There? Help Please.

Post by OneSmallStep1966 »

Kevthemodeller wrote:I'm guessing your thinking just leave it in primer coat? I'm not sure that's a good idea not sure how it would react to weathering/decals etc, I'm no expert but I don't think I would do that, I'd top coat it.
I was just being lazy thinking I might get away with it but you're probably right, not a good idea to use Ultimate primer on its own :oops:
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Any WWII Railway Experts Out There? Help Please.

Post by digger303 »

OneSmallStep1966 wrote:Thanks for the input guys, it would seem black is the way to go :th:

Does anyone know how close a match Ultimate Black Primer is to Mr Hobby H12?
don't forget the red outline on certain parts. :th:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Vleugelmoer
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1011
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:06 pm
Location: Geleen, Limburg, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Any WWII Railway Experts Out There? Help Please.

Post by Vleugelmoer »

I think fellow member Mark Verploeg might be able to shed some light on this matter for you. I think he has done some research into Axis Railway Stock for one of his previous builds. I suggest sending him a PM If he doesn't reply to this thread.

As always happy modeling and keep sticking styrene.

Paul
Damm the glue is getting to me :crazy:

On the Bench:

1:35 Italeri Jeep Follow Me Jeep for the PTO GB
1:32 Revell F-4 Phantom for the Phantom Freaks SIG
privatepete
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Posts: 3871
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:13 pm
England

Re: Any WWII Railway Experts Out There? Help Please.

Post by privatepete »

Hi old boy :lol: sorry just had to say it.
Have a look at YouTube, Andy's Hobby Headquarters might help :cheers2:
OneSmallStep1966
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:37 pm
Location: Herne Bay, Kent (UK)
England

Re: Any WWII Railway Experts Out There? Help Please.

Post by OneSmallStep1966 »

privatepete wrote:Hi old boy :lol: sorry just had to say it.
Have a look at YouTube, Andy's Hobby Headquarters might help :cheers2:
Thanks for that :D I did see his build and he used German Grey on the chassis, but so many others say Matt black. Very torn which way to go :think:
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Any WWII Railway Experts Out There? Help Please.

Post by digger303 »

really is black and red outline around the castings for levers.
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
ForbesHutton
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 1956
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:10 am
Location: To,On,Ca
Scotland

Re: Any WWII Railway Experts Out There? Help Please.

Post by ForbesHutton »

Don't forget the contact areas of the rail and wheels would be plain steel.
Image
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Any WWII Railway Experts Out There? Help Please.

Post by digger303 »

this is the larger railcar for tigers 1
http://www.alanhamby.com/factory3.shtml....go to last pic. shows white signage aginst what could be a black chassis...very stark.
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
OneSmallStep1966
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:37 pm
Location: Herne Bay, Kent (UK)
England

Re: Any WWII Railway Experts Out There? Help Please.

Post by OneSmallStep1966 »

Thank you for the all the great information, its helped greatly and I will be painting my railcar black :)
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”