Tamiya 1/35 M4A3E8 HVSS T66 tracks issue

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
Jonesy123
New Recruit
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:20 pm
Location: Western Australia

Tamiya 1/35 M4A3E8 HVSS T66 tracks issue

Post by Jonesy123 »

G'day modelling mates.

I am doing a scratch build of the "Fury" M4A3E8 Sherman and I chose to use the Tamiya 35346 1/35 M4A3E8 Sherman "Easy Eight" European Theatre as the base tank. All has been going very well until I attempted to put the rubber tracks onto the tank and both simply snapped at the joints, rendering the tracks useless due to a repair job being very obvious.

I am looking for aftermarkets that will fit the this kit but cannot find anything specifically tailored to fit it.

Any suggestions are very welcome as I am out of ideas!
cheers.
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4A3E8 HVSS T66 tracks issue

Post by Kevthemodeller »

Hello mate

I'm doing the very same build, although mine is currently all stop due to work, hopefully soon to restart.

Here's my build thread which my be of help http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=17439 you can get alsorts of tracks, it would help to know where in the world your based?
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
privatepete
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Posts: 3871
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:13 pm
England

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4A3E8 HVSS T66 tracks issue

Post by privatepete »

Hi you would be best off buying a Tamiya Sherman to do a Fury build. You'll need the proper turret and gun, but the Tamiya already has the tracks, suspension, welded hull, etc, etc. The Fury Sherman has the post-war (inaccurate) T-84 tracks, seen here: http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/kata ... 7518_2.jpgIf you're building an accurate to the movie version you can use those tracks. I'm under the impression IRL those tracks were never used in WWII. A Euorpean Easy Eight would have used the T-66 tracks or in some rarer cases T-80 tracks.
Nick Aguilar, I've heard that name too, has sold he E8 conversion kit for the Tamiya Sherman. Fury also uses the smaller gunners hatch where as some T23 turrets use the larger one. Another detail of note.

T66 tracks: http://www.tanksandtrolls.co.uk/images/ ... 812%29.JPG
T80 Tracks: http://eastcoastarmory.com/forumPic/m26 ... C00436.jpg

If you're going for cheap, sure nothing is cheaper than a Heng Long, but for accurate reproduction of the movie version you're going to need that Tamiya and a turret/gun to convert it to the right E8 model.Here's a good HD reference pic of Fury, hope it helps. (Note: This version is missing some of the details like the gasmask and helmet on the tank) http://www.captmondo.com/wp-content/upl ... Fury-3.jpg

Pete :cheers2:
amacca28760
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:30 am
Location: wirral,cheshire

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4A3E8 HVSS T66 tracks issue

Post by amacca28760 »

Fruil tracks t-66 and Aber turned barrel, as well as machine guns from same.
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”