Just some ranting

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
zaraf76
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:13 pm

Just some ranting

Post by zaraf76 »

Hi,
Just thought the need to share my modeling experience and also needed advice on where am I doing it wrong and if any other of you are in the same boat?
I got my first aircraft model when I was 7 years old and then built a couple more during my teen years. I took up scale modeling seriously as a hobby when I was 20 years old. Things were simple back then and starting and finishing a kit was the only objective with tons of satisfaction in the process no matter how it turned out. Later as my skills progressed, so did my tools and stuff etc. Different techniques had different outcomes, some bad and most good. I was mainly building aircrafts and cars/bikes. I was somewhat an average builder and always tried to get better and have fun doing it. When I got married and had kids and responsibility, I packed all my stuff and had a long pause.

After 7-8 years break, I slowly started back in the business. Times had changed and whatever I had learnt or seen back then had somewhat evolved. After watching photos of others builds. I got to realize that there is much to learn. Even newbies these days have so much better skills then what I had learned all these years.
Anyway, I had many unfinished projects which I had started and never finished. Some had gotten damaged due to careless packing. I thought that I will first repair and finish them before starting any new one. But once I started working on them, things didn’t seem as before and frustration quickly got hold of me. Every model I started working on somehow turned bad. Maybe my expectations were too high or I was trying too hard to catch up that i was rushing and making mistakes and taking bad habits. I even laughed at the thought that some models were cursed or possesed that no matter what I did, they would turn up bad.
At one point I totally lost my mojo and didn’t touch anything for months. I did finish some of my models but nowhere near what I saw on the internet. Maybe back then when I was building, I didn’t compare my builds to others and the hobby was much fun and enjoyed and now the internet and facebook where people share their models, makes you think of your own shortcommings, I don’t know but it gets to you at some point.
I still build models and trying to finish them and may share my work some day but for now I don’t see it happen anytime sooner.

Enough with the rant. What are your thoughts?
Thanks for reading.

Faraz
Davethepitch
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 542
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:40 pm
Location: Staffordshire
England

Re: Just some ranting

Post by Davethepitch »

I think you will show them when you are ready.
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: Just some ranting

Post by Kevthemodeller »

All I'll say is take your time, you're building kits/models for YOUR enjoyment not for others to look at, so it matters not what they come out like. Time is the key just keep building and your skills and their finish will improve. :th:
Last edited by Kevthemodeller on Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
Dropis258
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:09 am
England

Re: Just some ranting

Post by Dropis258 »

Hay life is a Learning curve, build for your own enjoyment not anyone elses .....think you might be trying to hard .
I find sometimes that some of my models fall together without any problems , then the next one I build it feels like its fighting me every step, if in doubt ask questions, as like yourself I came back into the hobby after a good few years away from it , found YouTube after a couple builds ...then the flood gates opened to a whole new world of techniques :jd: , I compared my first build to my most recent ....vast improvement... Never show standard but we learn and improve every build we do .
Little steps mate ,stick with it ,don't rush . :cheers2:
Not the best , but I'm learning something new everyday, I'm a sucker for detail may take me longer to do something but it will be done to high level of detail to my abilities :cheers2:

On the bench.... Not enough !
Revell 1/32 Spitfire
Meng Tiger
User avatar
Avgas
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2819
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Englandshire
Equatorial Guinea

Re: Just some ranting

Post by Avgas »

Just do your best and don't compare what you do to what others do. I would have packed playing guitar in years ago if I compared myself to Martin Taylor or Joe Pass every time I picked it up. Sure there will always be better modellers than you no matter what your level but it's not about comparisons with others it's about what you get out of it. Look to others for inspiration but don't try and be them, just do your own thing. No one will ever build models like you do no matter how hard they try.
Regards, Dave.
zaraf76
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:13 pm

Re: Just some ranting

Post by zaraf76 »

Thanks for the encouragement.
I don't try to compare myself with others. I know very well that no two person can have the same skills. There's always someone better and nothing wrong with that. I just wanted to explain my frustration over the result what I am achieving or not achieving. It gets on the level of embarrasment when I see someone on facebook posting pictures of their first build which truly looks very good for a first model, and then you ask yourself, why aren't you at that level even after in the hobby for so many years. Anyway, i'm a grown man and know that practicing is the key to master anything and that keeps me going.
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Just some ranting

Post by digger303 »

zaraf76 wrote:Thanks for the encouragement.
I don't try to compare myself with others. I know very well that no two person can have the same skills. There's always someone better and nothing wrong with that. I just wanted to explain my frustration over the result what I am achieving or not achieving. It gets on the level of embarrasment when I see someone on facebook posting pictures of their first build which truly looks very good for a first model, and then you ask yourself, why aren't you at that level even after in the hobby for so many years. Anyway, i'm a grown man and know that practicing is the key to master anything and that keeps me going.

Take heart old chap....there's thousands of us and only a few master modelers. I aspire to be better, but know I'll never be at the top list or winning medals at shows ( not that there is any shows within my area.) I do still enjoy what I do though. :th: :cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Nev
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:22 am
Location: Kent
Great Britain

Re: Just some ranting

Post by Nev »

Don't worry about comparing to others or getting too precious! it is a hobby after all and should be done for fun. I should imagine their are millions of hobbiest watercolour painters out there, lamenting that they will never be a Turner but such is life.

I would suggest watching some of coens vids on YouTube he doesn't give a crap on opinions and builds for the fun of it :thumb2:
On the Bench...
1/35 TAKOM Mark. IV Heavy Battle tank
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Just some ranting

Post by Stokesy44 »

Maybe try stacking the odds in your favour? :think:

By this I mean distil your hobby and what you want from it down to the simplest basis. What subject do I really want to model - even down to a specific aircraft or bike (as per your earlier preferences) and what processes do I want to try to get to the outcome I want?

The guys on this site will help you with kit recommendations once you have your subject and there are loads of how to videos on the site to help with what you want to try.

I got back into the hobby 18 months ago when Airfix brought their Typhoon out. I wanted to spray it but I had never used an airbrush before so I watched Paul's videos on his 1/48 Me 109 build. That got me started and its been a great ride since. I've dropped quite a few large ones along the way but on the whole its been a (wobbly) upward curve.

If your ideal kit proves to be a relatively large one, maybe even pick a tiddler to practice on first. Before I did the Tiffy I bought the 109 Paul did his demo on. It gave me confidence and a chance to try out new products and processes before letting myself loose on the Tiffy.

Cliché alert - Rome wasn't built in a day, if at first you don't succeed, etc. etc. Hold things lightly and don't compare yourself to others, you'll find where you're at and go from there.

All the best mate :th: :th:

Also, welcome to the forum
:welcome:
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
zaraf76
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:13 pm

Re: Just some ranting

Post by zaraf76 »

Thanks for the replies, it is much appreciated. Maybe im too hard on myself. This is supposed to be fun. I dont have any problem with basic techniques and am fully aware of using the airbrush or paint mixtures etc. I have to look deeper in what bad habits i have picked up that is affecting my end result. I guess my biggest mistake is to rush things at the very end of the build.
privatepete
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Posts: 3871
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:13 pm
England

Re: Just some ranting

Post by privatepete »

Don't worry about what others think of your work , you built it for your self no one else, there's no point in beat your self up over it, yes listen, watch and if you don't known just ask we all do it, it's is a hobby after all and should be done for fun.Their are thousands of us modellers and only a few master.

I would do like Nev suggesed and watch some of Coens vids on YouTube he doesn't give a crap on opinions and builds are brilant and he build's just for fun.
Pete :thumb2:
User avatar
OliveDrab
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 823
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:48 am
Location: Missouri, USA
United States of America

Re: Just some ranting

Post by OliveDrab »

Hang in there Faraz! One of the most important skills I've learned through many years of modeling is patience! Many of my mistakes are made when I try to rush the job at hand. Another common trait we as modelers share is many times we are our own worst critic. In our mind, our models never look up to par compared to the many marvelous builds posted on the internet. All modelers have been where you are at some point, and some modelers will build superb works of art where we can only dream of. Just enjoy your time at the bench, have fun with the hobby and Model On!
:cheers2:
Curt :cheers2:
User avatar
Plopper
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:31 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: Just some ranting

Post by Plopper »

zaraf76 wrote:Thanks for the replies, it is much appreciated. Maybe im too hard on myself. This is supposed to be fun. I dont have any problem with basic techniques and am fully aware of using the airbrush or paint mixtures etc. I have to look deeper in what bad habits i have picked up that is affecting my end result. I guess my biggest mistake is to rush things at the very end of the build.
I can understand mate, I came back into the hobby a few years ago after a good 20 year break. And I never think anything that I do is any good, well almost anything anyway, ;-)

But I've learned to live with that as best as I can. I try my best with every model/thing I make, if it works great, if it doesn't bummer, but I move on to the next build and try my hardest again.

I know I'll never be any more then a middle of the road modeller! But I'm trying damn hard to prove myself wrong and having a lot of fun while doing it.

So keep at it, keep having fun, and most of all keep doing it for yourself!
Your Ever Game Gamer.

Dave.
zaraf76
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:13 pm

Re: Just some ranting

Post by zaraf76 »

Thanks to all of you. I couldn't agree more with you all on that this hobby is meant for relaxing and having fun. And there is no shame in not being a top modeler as that is not the point. I will have to look at things from a different point of view and dont judge or compare my work with others, If a model is not what i expect then there is always the next which will definetely be better.
I appreciate all comments and hope to contribute one way or the other in this forum.
Best regards,
Faraz
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: Just some ranting

Post by Lysus »

I feel like most of the bases are covered already, it should be fun, do it for you, don't worry about the other guy, and so on. But if I might add one more, get something cheap that you like (say a $10 kit) and just work on it with no expectations.

Try one thing with it and don't worry about the rest of it. Whether that one thing is filling seam lines or picking out details or just airbrushing, it doesn't matter. Just focus on trying to do that one thing in a way you'd like to try and see what happens.

When you're done, try again but focus on something else.

Repeat.

Sometimes we want to tear into a kit we've thought about for years and make it look like a Budzik build. This can lead to frustration, don't do it. Find a cheap kit that won't make you angry if it gets binned or made into a mule.

But it should be something you like or else you might not be enthusiastic enough to see it through.

And ask questions! You'll get an answer or seven here within 24 hours most days.
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
zaraf76
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:13 pm

Re: Just some ranting

Post by zaraf76 »

I like your suggestion. That would be a good thing to do as it will serve to try new techniques intead of trying on a project which could enirely kill the fun if things don't go as imagined. I will definetely try it. :th:
User avatar
TheTroyster
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 7:12 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado

Re: Just some ranting

Post by TheTroyster »

It's hard to not compare our works with others - and there are a lot of fantastic model builders out there - I look for new things to try - for a time I worked on painting camouflage on tanks, then moved to weathering the lower hills. Built a bunch of aircraft this year cause I am terrible at building them.

One thing that greatly improved my skills were to realizing what I loved about model building (painting) and the thing I don't like at all (actual building). I bought some books that focused on the paint and weathering aspects of this hobby (Tank Art books) and my skill set jumped way up as a result - amazing enough so did my enjoyment in building the actual models as I became more aware of all the parts and how I was going to paint them later - maybe throw that in your mix?
Troy :violin:
User avatar
burnie43
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:06 pm
Location: Inverness, Scotland

Re: Just some ranting

Post by burnie43 »

very good post....
the biggest issue that I have is the folk that find it necessary to "shoot down" others models, there is no such thing as a bad build in my humble opinion as we should build to please ourselves, not others !
The fact that we are all in the same " club " and most have been since childhood should be enough for all to enjoy......who cares if the paint has run, it's not 100 % accurate or it needs filled or glue blobs everywhere....the fact that you enjoyed doing it for you should be enough...
chin up and crack on mate
M
Tis the march! 'Tis the march! Of the Highland Brigade
Caledonia's Sons of the kilt and the plaid
Aye foremost in danger, right onward they go
They have but one object, and that is the foe!
[/color]

On the bench
A permanent explosion scene.................
[/b]
wookiee76
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 864
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 12:57 pm

Re: Just some ranting

Post by wookiee76 »

Just build what you want how you want, you're doing it which is the main thing, ask questions, have fun and never judge your work against others or you will just end up frustrated.
No one is gonna shoot you down anywhere on ism, even if you ask for critique, well, unless Jimmy D spots it but just ignore him! Post away dude.
John, whats on my bench? Usually a mess and a couple of different models a week.
My motto? I'm not lazy, just energy efficient.
zaraf76
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:13 pm

Re: Just some ranting

Post by zaraf76 »

Yes, I am going to build them and may find the courage to show them as well. Whats the worst that could happen. May be it would even motivate me to improve. I think the next one I finish, I will post pictures no matter how it looks.
Thank you all for the pep talk.

Regards,
Faraz
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: Just some ranting

Post by Lysus »

Please do! I'm not all that good and I like to share when I can, it's nice to let others point out your successes. So often we spend hours and hours with our noses in the project that all we see is flaws, but others will spot what you've done well and you can't see anymore.

And the whole ethos of ISM is to have a safe space to share without fear of the unwanted criticism that can destroy your motivation.
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
Plopper
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:31 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: Just some ranting

Post by Plopper »

Go on, show them off, they can't be any worse than my first attempt at posting a build on this lovely forum!

http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 89#p128189
Your Ever Game Gamer.

Dave.
CraigPetterson
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:13 am
Contact:
Scotland

Re: Just some ranting

Post by CraigPetterson »

You have no need to worry about negativity on ISM, what you will get as this thread proves is overwhelming support and advice. Get the pictures uploaded and be proud of your builds I guarantee you will not be disappointed or embarrassed by the support/comments. :banana:
:cheers2:
On the Bench
Still deciding....
Stash
Eduard 1/48 Bf 109E-4
:cheers2:
User avatar
Nev
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:22 am
Location: Kent
Great Britain

Re: Just some ranting

Post by Nev »

It is what I love the most about ism :thumb2:
On the Bench...
1/35 TAKOM Mark. IV Heavy Battle tank
zaraf76
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:13 pm

Re: Just some ranting

Post by zaraf76 »

I have been a member since 2014 but active mostly on the facebook page. I have found the ism to be a great place with great people. Always helping and never any negativity. Alot of it has to do with the moderators who do not tolerate people giving bad vibes. But credit also goes to you guys who are kind with your words and encouragement. So a big thanks to you all for making this place what it is.
Best regards and happy holidays,
Faraz
User avatar
jjab99
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 2:01 pm
Ireland

Re: Just some ranting

Post by jjab99 »

I am my own worst critic and I know what you mean.... I tend to finish a model and look back and say "I should have done this, that and the other", but ultimately it doesn't matter. So long as you had fun on the journey, it doesn't matter where you end up. People get better at something they do often, so just have fun and you will naturally get better and better as you go.
If all else fails, Have Fun!
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”