These were the droids I was looking for...

Post Reply
User avatar
Tomcat64
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Posts: 7188
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:24 pm
Location: Swindon, UK
England

These were the droids I was looking for...

Post by Tomcat64 »

Something quick and dirty - the Bandai Star Wars Droids from the R2-D2/R4-D5 and C-3PO sets. All three droids have been built up out of the box using the push-fit and with mainly stickers applied - I used the decals for some of the smaller markings as the stickers just looked clunky - oh and C-3POs belly wiring was decals with gallons of micro-sol to try and get it down. The obvious exception to this is the bad motivator and cotton wool smoke added to R4-D5.

Two reasons for taking the quick and easy route; firstly to see how they went together like this as a friend of mine was thinking of having a go these with his young lad and secondly because I felt like some light relief after a four month build. The only annoying flaw with the results is the join across R2's dome which I think could have been avoided with a little more thought - but otherwise happy with these out of the box with relatively little effort.

Oh the base is just a chunk of cardboard from an Amazon box with a coat of Tamiya light sand textured paint.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

I had originally planned something like this for Lysus's robot SIG but just ran out of time - sorry buddy.

Thanks for looking.
Last edited by Tomcat64 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers, Neil

On the Bench:
Revell 1/72 Millennium Falcon - stalled due to stupidity
Tamiya 1/35 Stegosaurus Stenops
Tamiya 1/35 Sherman Firefly VC
User avatar
MakingModels
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Contact:
Scotland

Re: These were the droids I was looking for...

Post by MakingModels »

This R2 unit's got a blown motivator... Awesome :)
privatepete
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Posts: 3871
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:13 pm
England

Re: These were the droids I was looking for...

Post by privatepete »

Hi Neil, they look great,nicely done :clap:

Where did you get then from if you mind sharing
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: These were the droids I was looking for...

Post by Lysus »

MakingModels wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 5:48 pm This R2 unit's got a blown motivator... Awesome :)
Agreed.

Slick work, Tom. Too bad I'm not eligible to win the droid kit prize in Summer Sci-Fi...really need to grab some now :lol:
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
SergioSolo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:31 pm
Location: Colombia
Contact:

Re: These were the droids I was looking for...

Post by SergioSolo »

Great looking droids! I built the R2/R5 set and never painted them. They look very cool OOB and it's a shame to hide all the hard work from Bandai's engineers​, with those multicolored sprues :P
User avatar
Tomcat64
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Posts: 7188
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:24 pm
Location: Swindon, UK
England

Re: These were the droids I was looking for...

Post by Tomcat64 »

MakingModels wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 5:48 pm This R2 unit's got a blown motivator... Awesome :)
privatepete wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 6:25 pm Hi Neil, they look great,nicely done :clap:

Where did you get then from if you mind sharing
Lysus wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 7:29 pm
MakingModels wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 5:48 pm This R2 unit's got a blown motivator... Awesome :)
Agreed.

Slick work, Tom. Too bad I'm not eligible to win the droid kit prize in Summer Sci-Fi...really need to grab some now :lol:
SergioSolo wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 11:35 pm Great looking droids! I built the R2/R5 set and never painted them. They look very cool OOB and it's a shame to hide all the hard work from Bandai's engineers​, with those multicolored sprues :P
Thanks guys :cheers2:

I just noticed the photos were a bit rough and ready too so will try and get a couple of decent shots posted up when I get chance to do the Bandai engineers justice like Sergio said. Edit - and four months later I finally got around to putting up some better images :)

Hi Pete - I got these off Japanese sellers on UK Amazon, each set was about £22 including postage and took 2-3 weeks to arrive if memory serves me right.
Cheers, Neil

On the Bench:
Revell 1/72 Millennium Falcon - stalled due to stupidity
Tamiya 1/35 Stegosaurus Stenops
Tamiya 1/35 Sherman Firefly VC
Post Reply

Return to “Sci-fi Gallery”