Page 1 of 1

Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:16 pm
by kpisnuts
Never tried a truck before but saw this and had some birthday money soon,
​​​​​​​Image

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:25 pm
by kpisnuts
Not sure what's happening here. Trying to paint the rad and fan blade washed the sprue as normal in soapy water but the paint won't stick I've primed it and taken it off 3 times (other parts on the same sprue were fine first time) the rad and the fan blade just won't seem to take the paint (it looks like a grease problem) I've scrubbed it with meths even but still get the same problem.
Help.

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:02 pm
by Joee159
I'm probably not the best person to ask but maybe you could try sanding down with some very fine git to give the paint something the stick to, or sometimes I find if I thin my paint to much it doesn't stick to well, hope it helps.

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:14 pm
by kpisnuts
Thanks for the suggestion but the detail on the rad grill is so fine I would be worried about removing it.

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:19 pm
by Joee159
It's definitely a tricky one, other than that I'm really not sure

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:19 pm
by kpisnuts
Hi all well ciff seems to have done the job so I've done some weathering on the engine and chassis.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:40 pm
by kpisnuts
Hi all here is the next instalment.
Image
Image
Image
Image

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:26 pm
by kpisnuts
Some more work on the chassis.
Image
Image
Image
Image
It's a nicely detailed kit.

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:52 pm
by kpisnuts
Hi all done a bit more to this super detailed chassis (Not done a truck before I'm amazed how much detail there is just in the chassis) I think I'm only about half way through it.
Image
I've started on the cab also. I used foil on the roof
Image
I think it looks too clean so I weathered it a bit and added some other details.
Image
Image

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:58 pm
by kpisnuts
Hi all made a concerted effort on the chassis today, still a bit more to add (this really is a great kit I'm loving this as much as the London bus)
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:26 pm
by kpisnuts
Done a bit more to this amazing kit, the fit of parts is perfect, they really have done a great job of this kit the parts are such a good fit I've used no glue on any of this part.
Image
Image
Image
Image

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:31 pm
by kpisnuts
Hi all next update.
Image
Image
Image

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:16 pm
by kpisnuts
Hi all I love this kit, the fit is exceptionally good and the detail is great, again no glue 
Image
Image
I tried a failed experiment the instructions say aluminium for this part so I tried aluminium foil
Image
Yes I could try again but there are far more complex bits that have an aluminium background and this looks awful so I think I will use paint (although the ally doors will be simple enough with foil)

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:28 pm
by kpisnuts
Hi all made a start on the many, many accessories in this vehicle.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:31 pm
by kpisnuts
Hi all I'm wondering if on the real thing these compartments are hinged some how
Image
After adding this detail the other bit fits over the top like this
Image
There are handles at the bottom of the outer shelving I'm wondering if I can some how make the parts hinged to show all the detail, there is loads of shelving like this and it would be a shame to hide all the detail.
Yes I could just not glue them so they are removable but I would like to try and make them as they are on the real thing.

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:11 pm
by kpisnuts
Hi all here is the next update, I would really love to add lighting to this but can’t find leds small enough.
Image
Image
It’s a good job I’ve not glued the cab on yet as I’ve missed some painting
Image

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:38 pm
by kpisnuts
Hi all here are more of the many, many accessories for this vehicle
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:01 pm
by DrSprue
Wow, Im not sure how I missed this. Man that coming out nice. Love the detail work in it too. :thumb2:

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:08 pm
by kpisnuts
Hi all here's another update, I thought I could improve this bit so I cut the moulded on straps off and made some of my own

Image

Image

Then I thought to myself I can improve on that too.

Image

I do think my bench is getting quite full (and this is not all I'm working on)

Image

Here's an assortment of the accessories so far made for this.

Image

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:05 pm
by DrSprue
Looks cool! Love the detailing. :thumb2:

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:04 pm
by exmoor
Doing a great job there love the detail

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:18 pm
by kpisnuts
Hi all well thanks to Eddie Mc Vea and his pics here is the next update, I've added the missing cap holders to the hose clamps

Image

Image

There is actually loads of missing detail from this bit and I'm not sure I have the skill to add it but I may try (see if I can work up the courage) 

Image

Image

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:28 pm
by kpisnuts
Hi a little more progress

Image

Image

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:53 pm
by kpisnuts
Hi all here is the next update

I've hinged this bit with some sticky backed aluminium foil

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:48 pm
by kpisnuts
Hi all well I'm not sure I will actually do this but I've added some blue leds for the emergency lights, maybe I will and maybe I won't we will just have to see how complex it gets.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:15 pm
by kpisnuts
Hi all well it has working emergency lights.

I've glued aluminium foil behind the headlight holes to help them look more like headlights.

Image

Image

Image

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:09 pm
by kpisnuts
Hi all well here is the next bit, you really get a lot of kit for your money with this beast but I think I'm nearing the end now.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:01 pm
by kpisnuts
Hi all near the end now, loads of decals to add but the basic kit is nearly done. This really is a lot of kit for the money and I have had so many ideas for different versions of this so this won't be my last build of this or the London bus (another incredible kit)

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:18 pm
by kpisnuts
Hi all nearing the end now (loads of decals to add and a small amount of painting to do) I've really enjoyed this kit not found a bad fitting part on it, although it is quite complex and some parts need a few trial fits till you figure out how they actually go together.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:39 pm
by DrSprue
:thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: looks really cool...