Page 1 of 1

First model in 20 years, 100% hand painted

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:54 am
by MB13
Hi guys, so I'm back in the hobby after about 20 years, unbelievable how the hobby have changed in those years can't believe it! There is an air force base near where I live so I see F/A-18 almost every day so I decided to go with the Revell 1/48 F-18 to start it off. I did not want to wheter it too mutch as I think the ''too pronunced panel wash'' makes it kind of cartoonish and unrealistic, so went with another technique. I also don't own an airbrush so I did the best I could with what I saw on the net and here is the result, the ones I did back in the days where not near as good as this one but it's still not as perfect as I would have liked so I have some questions:

1- What technique do you use to hand brush your models (For those who still do it lol) Primer or no primer, thin the paint a lot or not that much, what brush to use.. etc

2- Do you have some tricks or anything else that helps for filling, sanding, wheathering etc..

3- I'm hopened to criticism so any tips or advice or anything on everything that could help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!!!!

P.S. 1 Don't know why but thw dots of the weathering show a lot more on the pictures compared as in real life, kind of strange
P.S. 2 The next one is already on the bench :)

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Re: First model in 20 years, 100% hand painted

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:25 am
by KalebB
Great looking build! Even after 20 years youve definitely still got it :th:

Whether hand painting or Airbrushing, it's always good to prime everything first imo. Helps with paint coverage and adherence :cheers2:

Re: First model in 20 years, 100% hand painted

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:30 am
by MB13
KalebB wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:25 am Great looking build! Even after 20 years youve definitely still got it :th:

Whether hand painting or Airbrushing, it's always good to prime everything first imo. Helps with paint coverage and adherence :cheers2:
Thanks Kaleb! I think I will not take chances and prime everything as you said loll thanks!

Re: First model in 20 years, 100% hand painted

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:29 am
by Hawkmoon
:thumb2: Looks good to me and nice finish. I see your using Vallejo which has been designed for brushing so stick with that until your ready to tool up a little more :th:

Re: First model in 20 years, 100% hand painted

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:45 am
by Kevthemodeller
That's very cool, you've lost no skill in the last 20yrs :th: :clap:

Re: First model in 20 years, 100% hand painted

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:11 am
by Stokesy44
Very nice work, great paintwork and finish.

Re: First model in 20 years, 100% hand painted

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:06 am
by digger303
Great work especially with a brush. What brand of paint are you using ?
:th: :th: :cheers2:

Re: First model in 20 years, 100% hand painted

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:39 pm
by MB13
Thanks a lot for the kind words guys I appreciate it!! :D

DIGGER303 I went with Vallejo because I red good things about this brand so went with it, I think they do a good job, but I discovered that brushing the AIR doesn't give me good results compare to MODEL so I only use Model now.