Ferrari F40 1/24 by Revell - ISM Group Build

Post Reply
User avatar
BOABModels
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:51 am
Location: Warwick, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Ferrari F40 1/24 by Revell - ISM Group Build

Post by BOABModels »

So this is my first ever group build! I was pleased to see it was about cars as that is almost all that I build.

I'm building up a decent collection of super cars - I was watching Top Gear the other day and they were driving 200mph supercars.
Image
I realised I had built both the Xj220 and the Diablo (without destroying it).
However, I realised I needed an F40, so I found the Revell 1/24 kit on eBay.
Image

The F40 is the same age as me so this kit is a little old too! I think it is based on the concept car but not too different to the real one. Here you can see what I have already done.
Image
This was Tamiya white primer and then 4 coats of Wilko gloss red enamel. I did some wet sanding between the 3rd and 4th coat.

Image
The V8 twin turbo has a lot of small parts - I haven't done much to it yet!

My son and I also built the Lego F40 in preparation!
Image

Thanks for reading! 👍 😁 🚙 🖌
User avatar
BOABModels
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:51 am
Location: Warwick, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Ferrari F40 1/24 by Revell - ISM Group Build

Post by BOABModels »

So the decal sheet was looking a bit yellow (it was 30 years old after all...)
So I put them up in the bedroom window as that has worked with decals before.

My 2 year old likes to look out of the window in the mornings to see the cars and annoy us into waking up. The decals had gone!

Where?
'In there.' pointing at the radiator.

Oh.

So I had to find some more. Fortunately, Modelworks.co.uk had these.

Image

No dials though so I also ordered a sheet of generic 1/24 dials.

Next time I will put them higher up on the window!
User avatar
BOABModels
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:51 am
Location: Warwick, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Ferrari F40 1/24 by Revell - ISM Group Build

Post by BOABModels »

Build update on the Revell Ferrari F40 1/24 - body is now painted, decalled and trimmed. I'm pretty happy with how the paint has turned out but I'm not going to polish it until it gleams.
Image
Image
Partly because I'm not very good at it but also because the real F40 had very thin paint over carbon fibre, so the slightly wobbly reflection in the paint is actually accurate! 😂

The aftermarket decals I bought for the kit were too big - so I went hunting for the lost decals and found that my son had stuffed them into a box. An afternoon inside a book later, and they were as mediocre as they were when they were new. But I use them anyway, apart from the red F40 logo for the wing which I did use from the aftermarket set as it looked more like the embossed logo on the real car.
Image
Image
The engine went together pretty badly but it looks OK under glass so I'm satisfied.
Image
Also, if you are wondering why I haven't uploaded any videos of this yet, it's because I am going to try something different and do the whole build in one video. So maybe next week? On to the floor and suspension next.

Thanks for reading.

👍 😁 🚙 🖌
User avatar
BOABModels
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:51 am
Location: Warwick, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Ferrari F40 1/24 by Revell - ISM Group Build

Post by BOABModels »

Build update on the Revell Ferrari F40 1/24!
I bowed to the pressure of one or two people online who said my car wasn't shiny enough and gave it 4 coats of Mr Super Clear and it is now resting under a box. I know that means the black trim is now too shiny so I will go back and matt it. Maybe by paint or maybe just giving it a light sand. I will polish the car in a few days when I'm happy.

Image

The engine is mounted onto the chassis as are the brake discs. There is an error with the kit here as in reality the car has wide rear tyres and dished wheels whereas on this they are all the same.

Image

I wasn't sure about the rear grille as I didn't think it was fine enough so I put it to Instagram (Instagram.com/BOABModelsthomas) and they said I should replace it with some fine wire mesh which I had bought. I think it looks pretty good and you will see a lot more of the engine bay.

Image
Image

I have used some grey embossing powder on the dash but it has a slightly glitter effect to it to I may dry brush it after the matt clear has set.
Image

Thanks for reading! 👍 😁 🚙 🖌
BigWall
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado
United States of America

Re: Ferrari F40 1/24 by Revell - ISM Group Build

Post by BigWall »

It's looking great Thomas.
Joe

Image
User avatar
BOABModels
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:51 am
Location: Warwick, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Ferrari F40 1/24 by Revell - ISM Group Build

Post by BOABModels »

BigWall wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:36 pm It's looking great Thomas.
Thanks, Joe. I had a weekend away from the bench but I'm looking forward to finishing this week! 👍
ForeverPlasticKits
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 895
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:45 pm
Location: France
France

Re: Ferrari F40 1/24 by Revell - ISM Group Build

Post by ForeverPlasticKits »

:thumb1: My favorite Ferrari, such a beauty! I can't rest to see the rest!
User avatar
BOABModels
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:51 am
Location: Warwick, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Ferrari F40 1/24 by Revell - ISM Group Build

Post by BOABModels »

ForeverPlasticKits wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:45 pm :thumb1: My favorite Ferrari, such a beauty! I can't rest to see the rest!
Thanks a lot! It is an amazing car - the body looked brilliant straight out of the box!


Small update on the F40 progress. I went over the embossing powder on the dash in Revell dark grey matt and then did part of the car interior in the same colour - I chose not to use more embossing powder here as I didn't want to risk getting the powder on the areas for the decals.

Image

I painted the floor in a semi gloss black and silver 9:1 mix and then measured the floor for my homemade carbon fibre decals. I'm not sure how much of this you will see later, but I'm happy with how it looks.

Image

The seats are coloured in red matt from Revell. I didn't sand the moulded seat belts as that would have removed the square pattern. Instead I am using velour vinyl sheets as seat belts along with a Tamiya photo etch buckle set. I'm really happy with how this look so far.

Image

Thanks for reading!
User avatar
BOABModels
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:51 am
Location: Warwick, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Ferrari F40 1/24 by Revell - ISM Group Build

Post by BOABModels »

Build update on the Revell Ferrari F40 1/24 — the interior is now complete! I'm really happy with how the sticky-back velour vinyl looks as the seat belts - it went though the photo etch parts really easily (and I only lost one buckle to the floor monster!)
Image
The Sabelt decals were not going to work - I tested a spare number plate on some of the velour and it wouldn't stick. So I just cut them out with the backing paper and stuck them on with super glue.

I think the carbon fibre decals are in a clear enough space for you to be able to see them. I know the scale is a bit off but I printed an A4 sheet of them so interior spots like this are a pretty good place to use them. I don't want them to go to waste.
Image
Finally, the door panels were done in the same red gloss as the body work - later models had bare carbon but I am basing this on the 1987 model. The doors didn't have handles or winders for the windows, instead there was a cord to pull the door open. I have replicated this with a little plastic tag from some clothes stuck on with super glue.

Thanks for reading! 👍 😁 🚙 🖌
User avatar
BOABModels
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:51 am
Location: Warwick, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Ferrari F40 1/24 by Revell - ISM Group Build

Post by BOABModels »

Image

So I have been looking again at the body - the kit gives you the option of cutting away the engine cover and rear bumper and then folding it up to let you display the engine.

The more I look at it though, the less I want to do this. My feeling is I will damage the paint, it will be difficult and time consuming, the fold will be rubbish and may even snap and I bet it won't sit well afterwards!

I don't think I should do it...
BigWall
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado
United States of America

Re: Ferrari F40 1/24 by Revell - ISM Group Build

Post by BigWall »

That's a tough one. It's a nice engine to display.
Joe

Image
User avatar
BOABModels
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:51 am
Location: Warwick, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Ferrari F40 1/24 by Revell - ISM Group Build

Post by BOABModels »

BigWall wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:18 am That's a tough one. It's a nice engine to display.
It really is... But then I'd rather it looked good closed than dodgy open... 🤔
User avatar
BOABModels
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:51 am
Location: Warwick, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Ferrari F40 1/24 by Revell - ISM Group Build

Post by BOABModels »

So I'm finally finished...

To sum things up....
The kit is based on the F40 prototype from 1987.

- Tamiya white primer
- Wilko gloss red
- Mr Super Clear gloss polished with Tamiya fine
- Stock chrome wheels with flat aluminium spokes and Tamiya photo etch centre locks
- Rear grille replaced with fine, steel mesh
- Dashboard flocked with grey embossing powder
- Tamiya photo etch seat belt buckles
- Seat belts are sticky back velour
- Interior finished with carbon fibre decals
- MFH photo etch keyholes on exterior
- Headlight glass replaced with spares from a Bburago F40 model
- Interior door wires added
- Tinted sunstrip added using Tamiya TS 71 smoke
- Red F40 decal from Modelworks.co.uk
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
I chose not to cut open the engine cover in the end.
Image
I am halfway through editing the video and it should be ready this weekend.

I know it could be tidier and I could have done a more thorough job with the polish, but it is done.
Please do comment and let me know what you think.

Thanks for reading! 👍 😁 🚙 🖌
User avatar
BOABModels
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:51 am
Location: Warwick, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Ferrari F40 1/24 by Revell - ISM Group Build

Post by BOABModels »

My full build video is here

For those of you who actually watch these, do you prefer it all in one go or in parts as I usually do?

Post Reply

Return to “Land Gallery”