Page 1 of 1

Revell paint problems

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:45 pm
by Rammit
Has anyone had any problems using Revell paints? They constantly bubble, and clog up my airbrush so I have to dismantle it (and stab myself repeatedly with the needle), does anyone have any tips for using these paints? I can't back out of using this junk either, as I've gone through about 1/3 of my Arado with them :wall:

Re: Revell paint problems

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:59 pm
by Radzy
Have you tried to just clean the needle without opening the airbrush?
Just take a q-tip dipped in airbrush cleaner and clean the needle. It normally helps me without requirement to dismantle all the stuff.

And if it clogs... maybe (just maybe) it's not dilluted properly? Maybe you should use some retarder to prevent paint to dry too fast and settle on needle ?

Sorry, I'm not big expert, but this is what I usually find as reason of paint clogging - paint settles on needle due to thickness of paint (at least acrlylics I use).

Re: Revell paint problems

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:09 pm
by Lee
It'll all be about the thinning. What are you thinning them with and to what ratio?

Re: Revell paint problems

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:55 pm
by Twistedsniper42
i use 2 parts thinner to 1 part paint,well it works for me anyway.

Re: Revell paint problems

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:42 pm
by Daimyo
I use Revell enamels when airbrushing too, and I use ModelMasters thinner. Everything was fine so far

Re: Revell paint problems

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:41 pm
by ScaleModelling1105
I use revel acrylics for airbrushing quite often and I get the same problem all the time. It's because the paint dries really fast in the airbrush so you just have to un-clog it. Bit annoying but there you go. If that doesn't work then I think it's because you haven't tightened (forgotten what it's called) the cap over the nozzle. SO you effectively are backflushing the paint. Hope this helps. Works every time for me.

Re: Revell paint problems

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:50 pm
by Paul
With ulitmate thinner revell paint sprays real nice and smooth, I was really impressed with the paint, no clogs or problems at all.

Re: Revell paint problems

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:15 am
by keith
Try distilled water and a flow enhancer

Re: Revell paint problems

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:17 pm
by Gav0909
Water is crap for thinning Revell through an airbrush. I could never get that right.

But I have recently been spraying a Revell acrylic gloss red on my Red Arrows Hawk, and using the Utilmate thinner has worked wonders. No clogging, perfect! I urge you to try it.

Re: Revell paint problems

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:27 pm
by HamilkarBarkas
I work with revell acrylics and normal tap water only, it works perfectly. Most model builders i talk to don“t believe me :) I till try to cover that detailed in a video soon.

Re: Revell paint problems

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:54 pm
by Schoof
What revell paint do you use ?