Page 1 of 2

Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:16 pm
by Joesdad
My neighbour said the other week,
"I've got a kit you could do for me, I'll dig it out"
"Ok Jas, no problem" says I
Imagine my surprise when he rocked up this....

Image

It's enormous....

Image

Image

By a country mile the biggest kit I've ever attempted, I'm going to need your help.
First up... I need to fill in all the rivet detail.. Which filler would you suggest?

Image

I will put up a picture review soon. Thanx chaps.

:eeek: :eeek: :crazy: :scratch:: :wtf:

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:28 pm
by UKguyInUSA
Wow! That's a big kit! I want all of those Airfix 1/24 scale kits for Christmas....but, that'll never happen, only in my dreams. If you feel a little shy about tackling it, I'll PM my address and you can send it to me! :tongue:

I look forward to watching this build thread!

Cheers, :cheers2:

Martin

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:40 pm
by Joesdad
Ha! Martin, I think It's going to be a slow burner...

:cheers2:

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:50 pm
by Willem
I think the technical term is 'mahoosive'! forget about filler and mix some plaster. :nena:
Seriously though, it's an Airfix Harrier in 1/24 should be an epic build mate. How much Dark Ocean Grey is that going to get through?
Better ring B&Q. :eeek:

All the best.

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:11 am
by trekfanj
What scale is that Spitfire? It looks so tiny next to this behemoth!

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:35 am
by Joesdad
Willem wrote:I think the technical term is 'mahoosive'! forget about filler and mix some plaster. :nena:
Seriously though, it's an Airfix Harrier in 1/24 should be an epic build mate. How much Dark Ocean Grey is that going to get through?
Better ring B&Q. :eeek:

All the best.

Cheers Will, it's going to be one of them... A bitch or an angel...

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:38 am
by Joesdad
trekfanj wrote:What scale is that Spitfire? It looks so tiny next to this behemoth!


It's a Tamiya 1:72 MkI trek, that Harrier is absolutely massive in comparison mate....

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:21 pm
by Willem
Good luck with the build Tim. It will make an awesome build thread.

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:09 pm
by Joesdad
Right Will here we go....
First an apology, I know I said I'd do a review of the kit but its simply too big too get it all in..

Image

What I think I'll do is try and review as we go along... We'll see how that turns out :think:
I've started on the cockpit first, unsurprisingly..

Image

Basic is the word here, lets have a look at matey..

Image

Image

I have found this though...

Image

Thanx for looking, not sure how often I'm going post but I'll see you soon

:cheers2:

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:34 pm
by martin57
wow thats huge , good job its only got a short wing span . looking forward to following this one to the end good luck :thumb1:

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:43 pm
by Willem
1974 Blimey! Great start Tim. Good luck mate.

:pop:

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:50 pm
by Apple
Is that control stick glued in place or dry fitted?
Because now the part that needs to point to the front of the plane, is pointing to the right of the plane.

Other than that, great plane.. Hope se comes together fine

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:56 pm
by Joesdad
World Cup year too Will.

Is that right Apple? Bloody instructions....

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:02 pm
by Apple
Well.. Is it right? Yes and no.
Your config is for a GR3

Image

The FRS1 has this layout:

Image

Guess Airfix used the GR3 molds.

So, if you want an accurate FRS mk1. It's the wrong stick.
If you just want a nice harrier, it's perfectly ok.

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:23 pm
by Joesdad
Wow, thanks for that Apple looks like I might have to spin it about then.... Great start this is :doh:

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:31 pm
by Apple
Anytime mate

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:11 am
by LeoDahlin
:jd:


Enough said.......

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:24 am
by eoinfinnegan
This is gonna be an EPIC build, it's bloody HUGE. Good luck with it

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:50 pm
by Joesdad
Don't hold your breath Eion, already cock up central..
Control column in wrong place and wrong way round..

Image

So had bodge some tape and filler in resulting hole :doh:

Image

Walking Dead extra....

Image

Must do better.... Must do better...
:oops:

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:58 pm
by eoinfinnegan
That's like something I would do..lol

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:58 pm
by eoinfinnegan
That pilot looks fantastic

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:56 pm
by Joesdad
Thanx Eion :shifty: I've said before that these iPhones must have some sort of filter on them...
I think I'm worrying about the finished article rather than concentrating on the step by step stuff, or I've bitten off more than I can glue...

Updates to follow...

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:59 pm
by Prop72
Looking good and your figure painting is excellent!

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:45 pm
by Joesdad
Cheers AJ.

Updates...

Firstly a bit of engine stuff..

Image

Turbine next and another example of Mr Hobby buffable, absolutely lovely for a metal look, I wonder if they would be any good for a complete NMF :scratch:: might have to give it ago...

Image

Next is becoming the bane of my world! Started off with Mr Hobby putty..

Image

Hmmm.... Not sure

Image

Image

After primer really not ok...

Image

These bloody rivets are sucking the life outta me!!
Plastic Putty might be answer?
The pain will continue......

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:13 pm
by UKguyInUSA
Looking good so far, Father of Joe....the Pilot looks great! :thumb1:

I must have been out for the day to miss this post :(

Looking forward to seeing your next update....I want to see this baby go together...she's a big one! :eeek:

Cheers, :cheers2:

Martin

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:58 pm
by Joesdad
A monster Martin.

Please find enclosed rather dull pictures of some plastic...

Image

Well, I've applied Purfect Plastic putty 'grout' style and rubbed down, destroying a sanding stick in the process, after a prime coat I HOPE should be ok...

Image

Some stuff that sticks out the back.. Note the "moveable control surface", trouble in store I think...

Image

On the upside though, finished the Pegasus engine. No Aries resin or exotic aftermarket here, just "out of the box" like Airfix intended..

Image

Image

I've got give it a wash tho...

Image

On the down side tho, I don't think you'll get to see it.....just like Airfix intended?

Image

I don't think it actually looks that bad really, seeing it came in '74, in fact this kit would be a micro-retailers dream there's loads of scope for extra detail. But I'm not there yet, think its a patience thing... Oh and an ability thing too...
Thanx for looking, hopefully will get to get the fuselage together soon...

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 pm
by Willem
Looking great with all that hard work Tim.

Keep it coming.

:cheers2:

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:18 pm
by UKguyInUSA
Oh my, Tim....that was a lot of filling-in of those rivets etc and sanding to boot!
Hope it's smooth sailing from hereon?! :crazy:

Cheers, :cheers2:

Martin

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:31 pm
by Joesdad
Thanks Will...


I hope so Mart, although I'm not holding my breath :doh:
Lovely looking Typhoon btw mate...

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:37 am
by portlandjoe
I think it's look great. I want to see it when it is done.

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:59 pm
by Joesdad
Thank you portlandjoe..

To convert the original kit to a FRS-1 you are required to remove the nose/cockpit section. Better get on with it then..

Image

I've also painted the inside of the engine air intake..

Image

Image

And I've knocked up the nozzles...

Image

And started on the fuselage..

Image

Not a lot to show unfortunately and I don't think it's gonna get any better what with the World Cup starting any day.....
Anyway thanx for looking as always chaps.

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:41 pm
by Joesdad
A little update between games...

I've been mostly cutting out auxiliary air intakes (?)!

Image

Then chopping up a yoghurt carton to make the sides...

Image

Image

Image

Image

Fidderly work and my glue doesn't stick :wall:
This is on tho...

Image

See yer soon....

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:02 pm
by Nige201980
That is great work mate your really going the extra mile on this one can't wait to see more.

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:02 pm
by Joesdad
Thank you Nigel your very kind...

Oooh, managed to get some paint down...

Image

On my fence......!!!!! What's all that about!!!!

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:08 pm
by Muzrik
:eeek: Thats a beast

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:12 pm
by FishBowlMan
Did you pre-shade? :nena:

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:56 pm
by Joesdad
Hehe FishBowl no I didn't, going to post shade instead.....

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:30 pm
by chief5437
Joesdad wrote:Hehe FishBowl no I didn't, going to post shade instead.....
'Post' shade, lol!

Nice work on the aux intakes, I did that on Airfix's 1/48 Gr3, PITA!

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:05 pm
by Merlin
Wow, that looks quite a challenge, I'm enjoying it so far, it's coming along nicely.

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:40 pm
by Joesdad
Cheers Merlin.


It's been ages since my last update, so.....
Painted up the nozzle's with Citadel Leadbelcher (love that name)...

Image

With a bit of Citadel Nuln oil and tried to be clever with a bit blue to make some heat staining....

Image

Aux air intake's...

Image

Managed to get fuselage together, what a pig!!!
Not a great fit either!!! She's really testing me now, not enjoying it, want it done and gone to be honest!!

Image

Image

What am I going do with this?

Image

Thanx for looking, I'll try my best to not chuck it out of the window....

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:20 pm
by Apple
Coming along real nice.
The damage i would fix with some styrene sheet.
Also remember with the harrier, the rear two exhaust are getting real hot due to jet exhaust.
The front two on the other hand are being driven by that big fan in the front, and get the by-pass air.
(On a commercial jet, the by-pass by-passes the engine and goes straight to the rear)

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:39 pm
by UKguyInUSA
Looks like you've made some progress since my 2 1/2 week absence while on vacation, Tim. Looks like a Bear of a kit to contend with! Keep with it....you're doing a great job so far mate. :)

:cheers2:

Martin

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:45 pm
by Joesdad
Thanks Apple, I do need to get some sheet anyway...

Martin your back! Hope you had a nice time. Thank you buddy she's not making it easy, now I reckon I've got bits missing :wall: :wall:

:cheers2:

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:56 pm
by UKguyInUSA
Joesdad wrote:Thanks Apple, I do need to get some sheet anyway...

Martin your back! Hope you had a nice time. Thank you buddy she's not making it easy, now I reckon I've got bits missing :wall: :wall:

:cheers2:
We had a great time, mate....we drove just over 3,500 miles during the trip that extended from our home in New Hampshire to Asheville, North Carolina, Gatlinburg, Tennessee, back east to Raleigh / Durham, North Carolina, then up to Quebec City in Canada and back home?!

Sorry that you might have bits missing....hopefully they're internal items, that wouldn't be seen once she's all closed up?

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:39 pm
by Spook
Just found your thread,man that is a task and a half I don't envy you a bit but keep it going pal

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:54 pm
by Joesdad
Road trip!!! No Mart it's not internal and I've not started all the undercarriage bits yet... :eeek:


I don't envy me either Spook, thanks though bud.... :thumb1:

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:52 am
by chief5437
Just catching up with this thread. Great work dude!

Don't know if you've seen this, http://www.harriersig.org.uk lots of tips for modelling the harrier. I used it a lot on my 1/48 GR3. (Sometimes I wished I hadn't, so much work!) if there's no stuff for the 1/24, I'm sure it would scale up from 1/48. I can see you're putting a lot of effort into this, so thought it may help. Good luck mate!

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:07 am
by UKguyInUSA
Joesdad wrote:Road trip!!! No Mart it's not internal and I've not started all the undercarriage bits yet... :eeek:


I don't envy me either Spook, thanks though bud.... :thumb1:
Ouch!! Can you get the missing pieces from Airfix still?

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:16 am
by Rob
Impressive in every way! :th:

Re: Airfix 1:24 BAe Sea Harrier FRS-1

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:29 pm
by Joesdad
chief5437 wrote:Just catching up with this thread. Great work dude!

Don't know if you've seen this, http://www.harriersig.org.uk lots of tips for modelling the harrier. I used it a lot on my 1/48 GR3. (Sometimes I wished I hadn't, so much work!) if there's no stuff for the 1/24, I'm sure it would scale up from 1/48. I can see you're putting a lot of effort into this, so thought it may help. Good luck mate!

Thanks Chiefy old boy, I've found some of that, there's one build where a lad converted a GR1 to a FRS-1.... Very impressive but you've got to ask........why?